AD Shawn Eichorst issues a statement

Saunders

I read somewhere that is was said that this team is lacking basis fundamentals. IF that reallly is an issue, then we are not recruiting from the right places. Basic fundamentals better or at least you would think are being taught in HS. If we are spending practice time teaching basis knowledge to our players, no wonder we can't beat Purdue. Fundamentals are formed early on in this game. YOur either taught the right way or your not taught at all. I wondersometimes whats going on. Is it fundamentals or is it want to and desire to make the right plays?

I suggest that everyone hunker down and just deal with what we are seeing right now, because we will have this staff back for at least one more season, if not two. No one is going anywhere this year and we might as well either like it or just not watching it for the last few games this season and next year.

I've been harping on that the last 4 years. Knowing how to tackle, carry the football, blocking technique, route running, etc. The last staff did these players no favors in that department. That was an uphill battle the current staff had to climb when they got here and they have done well with some of it. Tackling and fumbles seem better this year. Not perfect but better.

Recruiting is probably part of it, but good coaches can shape raw players. It's gotta be drilled into them during the offseason.

Fine. So they're finally learning fundamentals. How does that excuse terrible clock management by a staff w 200yrs experience twice in one season? How does that excuse terrible game plans? How does that excuse the largest regression on defense in the sports history? How does that excuse not fitting what these players are actually good at to try and win games instead of the round/square that seems to be happening?

I get that it takes time to teach "college technique" but players today are coming in more ready to play as freshmen than ever in history. Sheer speed and athleticism should beat Purdue and Illinois. Except the fact our coaches kinda STINK.

I never once excused the coaches for anything. I hold them as accountable for this mess as anyone, but all I'm trying to say is that they did have a good amount of rebuilding to do. Anytime you fire a coaching staff and bring in all new, you're rebuilding. But I do agree that 3-6 is unacceptable. It's only fair to say that they didn't inherit the team everyone thinks they did.

• Fire 1

I read somewhere that is was said that this team is lacking basis fundamentals. IF that reallly is an issue, then we are not recruiting from the right places. Basic fundamentals better or at least you would think are being taught in HS. If we are spending practice time teaching basis knowledge to our players, no wonder we can't beat Purdue. Fundamentals are formed early on in this game. YOur either taught the right way or your not taught at all. I wondersometimes whats going on. Is it fundamentals or is it want to and desire to make the right plays?

I suggest that everyone hunker down and just deal with what we are seeing right now, because we will have this staff back for at least one more season, if not two. No one is going anywhere this year and we might as well either like it or just not watching it for the last few games this season and next year.

I've been harping on that the last 4 years. Knowing how to tackle, carry the football, blocking technique, route running, etc. The last staff did these players no favors in that department. That was an uphill battle the current staff had to climb when they got here and they have done well with some of it. Tackling and fumbles seem better this year. Not perfect but better.

Recruiting is probably part of it, but good coaches can shape raw players. It's gotta be drilled into them during the offseason.

Fine. So they're finally learning fundamentals. How does that excuse terrible clock management by a staff w 200yrs experience twice in one season? How does that excuse terrible game plans? How does that excuse the largest regression on defense in the sports history? How does that excuse not fitting what these players are actually good at to try and win games instead of the round/square that seems to be happening?

I get that it takes time to teach "college technique" but players today are coming in more ready to play as freshmen than ever in history. Sheer speed and athleticism should beat Purdue and Illinois. Except the fact our coaches kinda STINK.

I never once excused the coaches for anything. I hold them as accountable for this mess as anyone, but all I'm trying to say is that they did have a good amount of rebuilding to do. Anytime you fire a coaching staff and bring in all new, you're rebuilding. But I do agree that 3-6 is unacceptable. It's only fair to say that they didn't inherit the team everyone thinks they did.

Riley himself said yesterday that it is not a rebuild.

• Fire 2

So..they are still learning all the fundementals but managed to win 9-10 games every single year for 7 years?

Come on man...Just like no one wants Bo back...we also need to stop using Bo as the excuse for why Riley is bad at coaching.

This was 1-6 Purdue...you want to do research I suggest you go back and see how many times Riley's teams have lost as a favorite and how many times they lost to teams that finished the season losing records.

My guess is it is a lot.

I haven't excused the coaches from anything. In fact, I said so in my very first post in this thread. It's only fair to say that you need to look past the wins and losses and realize they didn't inherit a good football team. We got 9 wins last year against who? Year before that did we beat anyone with merit? It's an inflated number.

So..they are still learning all the fundementals but managed to win 9-10 games every single year for 7 years?

Come on man...Just like no one wants Bo back...we also need to stop using Bo as the excuse for why Riley is bad at coaching.

This was 1-6 Purdue...you want to do research I suggest you go back and see how many times Riley's teams have lost as a favorite and how many times they lost to teams that finished the season losing records.

My guess is it is a lot.

I haven't excused the coaches from anything. In fact, I said so in my very first post in this thread. It's only fair to say that you need to look past the wins and losses and realize they didn't inherit a good football team. We got 9 wins last year against who? Year before that did we beat anyone with merit? It's an inflated number.

9 teams that were all better than Purdon't.

My guess is it is a lot.

But the schedule this year for the first nine games has been easier than the schedule to this point last year.