AD Shawn Eichorst issues a statement

Saunders

Dear Husker Family,

Good morning.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to every Husker fan who has come to Memorial Stadium this season to cheer on the Big Red; who has traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to proudly wear the red and white in visiting stadiums; and who has passionately supported our student-athletes, our head coach, our assistant coaches and staff. Your support and patience as Mike Riley rebuilds our storied program one brick at a time mean the world to our young men, our staff and our university.

While many are understandably disappointed in the current record of the football team and the heartbreakingly close losses we have suffered, I am confident the future is bright because I see it in the eyes of our players, coaches and staff and I am impressed by what I know is going on behind the scenes. Our coaches are developing our student-athletes and, though the consistent victories are not there yet, I am confident they will come. I have witnessed how our young men battle every day in practice and fight to the finish on game days in the face of great adversity. Football can be a humbling game of inches and seconds and our players have laid everything on the line while making no excuses. The prospective student-athletes looking to make Nebraska home possess athletic talent, academic potential, and high character making for a bright future. Coach Riley has a vision and a plan and is committed to providing the Husker faithful with a sustained winner which will compete annually for championships.

As I have said many times, it is an honor and privilege to represent Nebraska, and I am humbled and care deeply about the men and women I have a chance to work with every day here. The incredible amount of hours they put in and the sacrifices they all make to represent Nebraska are truly remarkable. In two decades as a student-athlete and athletics administrator, I have had the opportunity to learn and work alongside some incredible people at five different institutions. What the best administrators and coaches have in common is a consistent commitment to teaching young minds to do things the right way and to instill a values system that emphasizes hard work, discipline, loyalty, teamwork, compassion and excellence. Those principles coupled with a positive attitude generally result in championships.

Your continued support is what makes Nebraska special and together, we will do great things. Thank you again for your incredible passion and support. We look forward to another home sellout and an electric environment on Saturday as we come together to cheer on our team against Michigan State.

Have a great week and Go Big Red!

Shawn Eichorst

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210466315

r2CKTSQ.gif

• Fire 2

Where did I say "real" fan. I said "normal" fan. The ones that can actually see what is happening, and understand it takes awhile to clean up a shithole of a program that Nebraska football has become over the past 10-15 years. The "normal" fan that doesn't call for the firing of everyone in the athletic department, because people are so impatient, and believe that "by golly, we are Nebraska, we should win by 70 every weekend" The "normal" fan that sees that all of the "real" fans are undermining recruiting and creating a self fulling prophecy of more and more ineptitude that is Nebraska football.

Go ahead, get your wish of Trev Alberts, and Scott Frost or whatever other former players you want in here to run the athletic department. Never mind the fact that you will have permanently set this program back for good, and burned whatever last hope there was of having a return to prominence.

And if you are brain dense enough not to understand what the point of this post is, then you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

Many people over the last 3-4 years of BP's tenure as HC thought the product on the field was not up to Nebraska standards. The product that MR is putting on the field right now is definitely not up to Nebraska's standards. I figured 8-4 at worst this year record wise. Well that is not happening. Looking at our schedule Illinois and Purdue are two teams that Nebraska should not have lost to this year. They are not that good, they just aren't.

I don't expect SE to say anything else than what he just put out. He has to live with his and Harvey's decision. You can't fire someone that was 9-4+ each year and have a losing record the next year. Riley needed to be at least 7-5 on the year. i would give him that. NU is not as good as I thought they would be and some schools, Iowa, NW and BYU are better than I thought they would be. You can take a step back but this is 5 steps back. SE will go down in flames with his decision. He has to it was his call. When you make the wrong call like this you have to go down.

If he and SE and MR survive this year he better hope than Riley goes at least 8-4 next year.

They have to keep attendance up. The sellout streak will be hard to defend if the stadium is down 5-10,000 fans in the next game. If they loose the next 2, when Iowa comes to town, it will be hard to say it was a sellout even though technically it was due to season ticket holders buying a ticket but finding something better to do. If they weren't nationally televised games, I'm not sure you get a statement.

Given attendance fluctuations between different games, it's obvious to anyone that can do math, that attendance is not the same as sellout.

Against Iowa I could see thousands of husker season tickets going to Iowa fans. Preserving our sellout, but looking like the year Nebraskans bought all those Notre Dame tickets.

When I saw that this statement had been released, I already knew exactly what it was going to say and I was not disappointed. I'm guessing many of us had a pretty good idea what words would be in this letter.

I'm certainly disappointed in the current state of the program, but I'm also not completely torn down about it. A lot of great programs have had abysmal seasons and transition periods before good things started to happen again. Yes, I think we should be better than 3-6, even with all the changes and transitions we've gone through. But, some of my favorite professional teams have gone through similar droughts featuring terrible seasons, questionable hires and a general lack of talent. In many regards, this is just what sports is sometimes.

I think there's a very good opportunity for SE and MR to survive this season, but, I also think there's a very good chance they won't survive next season if similar results transpire. No coach at this program in the last 5 decades has had back-to-back losing seasons, and this team has certainly shown signs of regression mixed in with all their injuries.

• Fire 3

Where did I say "real" fan. I said "normal" fan. The ones that can actually see what is happening, and understand it takes awhile to clean up a shithole of a program that Nebraska football has become over the past 10-15 years. The "normal" fan that doesn't call for the firing of everyone in the athletic department, because people are so impatient, and believe that "by golly, we are Nebraska, we should win by 70 every weekend" The "normal" fan that sees that all of the "real" fans are undermining recruiting and creating a self fulling prophecy of more and more ineptitude that is Nebraska football.

Go ahead, get your wish of Trev Alberts, and Scott Frost or whatever other former players you want in here to run the athletic department. Never mind the fact that you will have permanently set this program back for good, and burned whatever last hope there was of having a return to prominence.

And if you are brain dense enough not to understand what the point of this post is, then you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

Have you considered the fact that you are the problem? (Just so you know, this is a redundant question).

• Fire 1