Shawn Eichorst's public support of Mike Riley has backfired on a national level.

Dansker

These are the same types that would also say Tom Osborne and his out dated and 'slow' teams couldn't win against the Gators and the Hurricanes and Seminoles and all those 'fast' teams that would run rings around the slow 'plodding' Huskers.

Their opinions are worthless to me. Nebraska needs to take care of its own family and issues 'in house'. Everybody else should "butt out'!

uuhhmmm....I thought I would point out that Osborne adjusted after losses to Miami / FSU and began to recruit speed / better athletes on defense.

• Fire 1

I don't believe the average Nebraska fan understands the severity of Shawn Eichorst's statement yesterday.

Historically speaking, more often than not, when an athletic director provides a statement of support for an otherwise failed idealistic plan, it is known as the proverbial "Kiss of Death," just as said athletic director is on the verge of becoming unemployed.

The defeatists that say we're stuck with Riley for another year or 3, nothing could be further from the truth. Eichorst is feeling immense pressure that's why he has not once, but twice publicly gone against his policy of not speaking about a coach during the season. This just shows how misguided our athletic director really is and how does one with such a vulnerable characteristic remain at his post is beyond me.

• Fire 3

Its only pointless when you are proven wrong, you have a history. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can follow OUR line and see what you was being said. But PLEASE continue insulting me because your point was moronic at the least. ODD, that once AGAIN you, a MOD makes personal attacks about someone's ability to read! I bet you was that kid! PS.... Thanks for the link thread that wasn't even ours

RedRun, I was hoping to put this to bed by pointing out exactly, in no uncertain terms, what my jesting response in post #7 referred to. Twice I pointed it out. But you just won't drop it. I am not going to penalize you for what you've said so far in this thread. But I won't be so forgiving next time.

These are the same types that would also say Tom Osborne and his out dated and 'slow' teams couldn't win against the Gators and the Hurricanes and Seminoles and all those 'fast' teams that would run rings around the slow 'plodding' Huskers.

Their opinions are worthless to me. Nebraska needs to take care of its own family and issues 'in house'. Everybody else should "butt out'!

Ummm...they were actually 100% correct. It wasn't until we upgraded speed at LB etc. that we were competitive against those southern teams in bowls. You must have missed the 8 consecutive (or whatever it was) bowl losses in the 80's to 90's...

Have any of the top 15 winning programs in cfb ever hired a bad coach and fired him after one season?

Really curious as to any precedent for this.

Alabama fired Mike Price before he coached a game; and Notre Dame did the same to George O'Leary.

Good point!

Riley most likely lied on his resume. It probably says something about previously being a 'football coach.'

• Fire 3

Its only pointless when you are proven wrong, you have a history. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can follow OUR line and see what you was being said. But PLEASE continue insulting me because your point was moronic at the least. ODD, that once AGAIN you, a MOD makes personal attacks about someone's ability to read! I bet you was that kid! PS.... Thanks for the link thread that wasn't even ours

RedRun, I was hoping to put this to bed by pointing out exactly, in no uncertain terms, what my jesting response in post #7 referred to. Twice I pointed it out. But you just won't drop it. I am not going to penalize you for what you've said so far in this thread. But I won't be so forgiving next time.

LOL. Why not post the real line, like I did.. and then you STILL reference it here...and are you also not "penalizing" yourself, since you was the first to make a personal attack? Do I need to walk you through that one as well? PS.. don't every try your hand as a litigator. you'd fail!

LOL. Why not post the real line, like I did.. and then you STILL reference it here...and are you also not "penalizing" yourself, since you was the first to make a personal attack? Do I need to walk you through that one as well? PS.. don't every try your hand as a litigator. you'd fail!

I think you are completely missing his original point.

Have any of the top 15 winning programs in cfb ever hired a bad coach and fired him after one season?

Alabama fired Mike Price before he coached a game; and Notre Dame did the same to George O'Leary.

Good point!

Riley most likely lied on his resume. It probably says something about previously being a 'football coach.'

Oklahoma and Schellenberger, though he was really "forced to resign", if you will.

And I could honestly see something similar happen with Riley--he just resigns and moves on, and both parties part amicably.

there might not many thoughts on a postive season this year, but i do see something that really bothered me in the past with bo. THERE ARE NO BLOWOUTS SO FAR....that is a big success story this year, at least in my book

Purdue was a blowout. 42-16 in the 4th. It was over. We scored a few meaningless TDs while they played some prevent D.

That's PURDUE.

• Fire 2

there might not many thoughts on a postive season this year, but i do see something that really bothered me in the past with bo. THERE ARE NO BLOWOUTS SO FAR....that is a big success story this year, at least in my book

Purdue was a blowout. 42-16 in the 4th. It was over. We scored a few meaningless TDs while they played some prevent D.

That's PURDUE.

Not to mention, that's more points scored by Purdue against us than all of their previous games this season COMBINED. We, in all actuality, were blown out by Purdue.

• Fire 1

I'll head right over to Shawn Eichorst's house, tap on his bedroom window, and get a signed affidavit from him.

Any news? hehe

Perlman is out mid next year. Seems unlikely that MR or SE would be replaced prior. NU firing a year 1 coach is almost impossible but not entirely, IMO. This will be a rough year to compete for HC talent. MR's buyout cost is just over $2MM/yr ending early 2020 and all other coaches probably get a year. NU will get a massive income bump in '17 from new TV contract money and a BTN full share. MR seems to be signing a maybe should be 5 star QB arriving in January and WR talent and others and is in the running for a big 2017 haul.

The keep em or fire him now analysis is quite a bit more complicated than most seem to acknowledge and the case for patience is pretty strong.

No offense, but POB is closer to a 3-star than a 5-star. He's very good, but he's no Andrew Luck.

We were being blown out by Miami until Golden and penalties let us back into the game. A well coached, disciplined Miami team would have beat us that day by 6 TD's. 42-16...PURDUE was BLOWING us out until they also let us back into the game. How on earth do you get down 42-16 to PURDUE!!!!!????? 55 total points scored by Purdue as well...55!

• Fire 1

Good point!

Oklahoma and Schellenberger, though he was really "forced to resign", if you will.

And I could honestly see something similar happen with Riley--he just resigns and moves on, and both parties part amicably.

The difference is that Riley is making wayyyyyyy more $ than Howard was making back then. You really think he's just gonna walk away from that? He's got it made.