Shawn Eichorst's public support of Mike Riley has backfired on a national level.

Dansker

Its only pointless when you are proven wrong, you have a history. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can follow OUR line and see what you was being said. But PLEASE continue insulting me because your point was moronic at the least. ODD, that once AGAIN you, a MOD makes personal attacks about someone's ability to read! I bet you was that kid! PS.... Thanks for the link thread that wasn't even ours

RedRun, I was hoping to put this to bed by pointing out exactly, in no uncertain terms, what my jesting response in post #7 referred to. Twice I pointed it out. But you just won't drop it. I am not going to penalize you for what you've said so far in this thread. But I won't be so forgiving next time.

LOL. Why not post the real line, like I did.. and then you STILL reference it here...and are you also not "penalizing" yourself, since you was the first to make a personal attack? Do I need to walk you through that one as well? PS.. don't every try your hand as a litigator. you'd fail!

I think you are completely missing his original point.

I posted the line. His "point" is not in context to what we are discussing. its called deflection when you lost your point and have to revert, and try to move, the conversation to another topic.

• Fire 1

I'll head right over to Shawn Eichorst's house, tap on his bedroom window, and get a signed affidavit from him.

Any news? hehe

Perlman is out mid next year. Seems unlikely that MR or SE would be replaced prior. NU firing a year 1 coach is almost impossible but not entirely, IMO. This will be a rough year to compete for HC talent. MR's buyout cost is just over $2MM/yr ending early 2020 and all other coaches probably get a year. NU will get a massive income bump in '17 from new TV contract money and a BTN full share. MR seems to be signing a maybe should be 5 star QB arriving in January and WR talent and others and is in the running for a big 2017 haul.

The keep em or fire him now analysis is quite a bit more complicated than most seem to acknowledge and the case for patience is pretty strong.

No offense, but POB is closer to a 3-star than a 5-star. He's very good, but he's no Andrew Luck.

Hopefully he's no Harrison Beck, either.

• Fire 1

Have any of the top 15 winning programs in cfb ever hired a bad coach and fired him after one season?

Really curious as to any precedent for this.

Alabama fired Mike Price before he coached a game; and Notre Dame did the same to George O'Leary.
Good point!

Riley most likely lied on his resume. It probably says something about previously being a 'football coach.'

The thing that concerned me most when he was hired was that I read dozens of quotes from ex-players, media types, and other coaches about what a nice guy Riley is, but I didn't read any about what a solid coach he is. Unfortunately, I think SE's #1 requirement when he was looking to hire someone was to find the opposite of Bo, someone who would be nice and smile a lot and not ruffle any feathers.

the ONLY reason I do not want Mike Riley fired is because there is nobody on this planet more ill-suited to hire another football coach at Nebraska than Shawn Eichorst.

As much as it sucks we have to wait until there is a new university chancellor. New chancellor comes in, and if we hire the right guy the opening statement in his press conference is "I informed Shawn Eichorst he is being relieved of his duties effective immediately". We hire a real Athletic Director who then hires a real football coach.

Have any of the top 15 winning programs in cfb ever hired a bad coach and fired him after one season?

Really curious as to any precedent for this.

Alabama fired Mike Price before he coached a game; and Notre Dame did the same to George O'Leary.
Good point!

Riley most likely lied on his resume. It probably says something about previously being a 'football coach.'

Oklahoma and Schellenberger, though he was really "forced to resign", if you will.

And I could honestly see something similar happen with Riley--he just resigns and moves on, and both parties part amicably.

The difference is that Riley is making wayyyyyyy more $ than Howard was making back then. You really think he's just gonna walk away from that? He's got it made.

Not saying he has to walk away from money. A mutual agreement could be struck...

Its only pointless when you are proven wrong, you have a history. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can follow OUR line and see what you was being said. But PLEASE continue insulting me because your point was moronic at the least. ODD, that once AGAIN you, a MOD makes personal attacks about someone's ability to read! I bet you was that kid! PS.... Thanks for the link thread that wasn't even ours

RedRun, I was hoping to put this to bed by pointing out exactly, in no uncertain terms, what my jesting response in post #7 referred to. Twice I pointed it out. But you just won't drop it. I am not going to penalize you for what you've said so far in this thread. But I won't be so forgiving next time.

LOL. Why not post the real line, like I did.. and then you STILL reference it here...and are you also not "penalizing" yourself, since you was the first to make a personal attack? Do I need to walk you through that one as well? PS.. don't every try your hand as a litigator. you'd fail!

You might be right. How would I do as a judge? (Three day suspension.)

A word of advice: When someoneanyone on this boardseeks to end a dispute with you by asking to drop it, you should learn to let it go instead of trying to escalate it.

• Fire 1

The whole reason why they put a buyout clause in a contract is so that the coach's $ is guaranteed. No way would I agree to walk unless they gave me one lump sum comparable to what was owed to me (similar to how the lottery works) instead of spreading it out over an extended period.

At least we are relevant in the national media again. That should take care of some of the complaining.

In a weird way, this is not a bad thing.

If the world of college football is wondering aloud whether Nebraska can and should do better than Mike Riley, it makes the job description more meaningful and hopefully desirable.

• Fire 2

At least we are relevant in the national media again. That should take care of some of the complaining.

If the world of college football is wondering aloud whether Nebraska can and should do better than Mike Riley, it makes the job description more meaningful and hopefully desirable.

Except that way too often, the national media is referring to NU as a has been program, with unrealistic expectations that don't fit the reality of their recruiting situation.

Here's what NU needs to focus on:

Find a coach that wins .700+ of his games with "bad" recruiting and then, when the stars align and there's an influx of local/regional talent, he can put together a championship season.

Really, that's what every team, even the Bama's and USC's of the world, should be doing (though maybe you bounce that up to .730 based on their inherent advantages). But instead, we've fired two coaches who fit that mold.

I'm wondering if we can find, let alone attract, a third.

• Fire 1

It also shows that outside of the NU fanbase, there's a larger thought that we need a new coach and/or AD.

It also shows that outside of the NU fanbase, there's a larger thought that we need a new coach and/or AD.

It shows that media sites and aggregators repeat the same stories rather than do original reporting.

It shows that media sites and aggregators repeat the same stories rather than do original reporting.

What do you think more investigation would reveal?

The last couple posts outline the main reason I support Scott Frost as our next HC. He is the best of the available coaches who we could actually realistically hire. Name coaches and hot up and comers are going to get just as much money from other more attractive destinations as tehy would from us.

While we may not agree at all on Riley, I do firmly believe you are right on this one. However, if we do go down this road it is going to be a decade long process. There's not a chance in he11 Frost comes in here and automatically turns this thing around. It should be apparent by almost all we have some severe depth problems this year. If Riley is axed at the end of the season or now for that matter, we probably have already lost one if not two recruiting classes. Starting out behind the eight ball and then killing a couple recruiting classes, Frost would be coming into a poor situation at best.

Again, if this is the direction we go there must be a decade commitment to it. Not only would Frost have to deal with first time HC mistakes that are sure to come, he will have to deal with a somewhat decimated roster. I'm not sure the Nebraska faithful have it in them for this type of commitment.

These are the same types that would also say Tom Osborne and his out dated and 'slow' teams couldn't win against the Gators and the Hurricanes and Seminoles and all those 'fast' teams that would run rings around the slow 'plodding' Huskers.

Their opinions are worthless to me. Nebraska needs to take care of its own family and issues 'in house'. Everybody else should "butt out'!

You do realize that TO and McBride didn't get over the hump until they made changes (speed/scheme) on the defensive side of the ball to compete with the faster teams, correct? Turned safeties into OLBs, etc.

Although TO's hump was a top 10 ranking with a major bowl loss to a top 5 team. The hump was been worn down quite a bit lately.

• Fire 1