Shawn Eichorst's public support of Mike Riley has backfired on a national level.

Dansker

All this "toxic" talk is nonsense. Flash enough money at a coach, and he'll come. It's as simple as that. People on a national level realize that Pelini was a nutjob and needed to go (which is why no other major school hired him despite his 9-win average), and that Riley is an absolute joke. Nobody rational would blame us for firing either one. If a coach is scared to come here because he's afraid he can't be a consistent winner and championship contender then I don't want him anyway.

We've made offers in the past to top coordinators and coaches. Urban Meyer turned us down in 2003 while he was at Utah and then took the Florida job. His kids also went on social media laughing saying their dad will not be going to Lincoln back in 2007 and Mark Richt even laughed at the idea back then and AGAIN on a radio program after Bo was fired. There's been rumors we've made offers to: Houston Nutt, Bret Bielema, Mike Zimmer, Jim McElwain, Greg Schiano. And reportedly all turned the job down. The job is not as prestigious as you think BUT... out of all rumored candidates in the past, I do not think the athletic department made a lucrative offer to any of them.

If we want quality, we gotta pay up. I'd much rather pay for a successful coach who intends to leave in 2-3 years rather than be stuck in the dumps with a bad coach for 4-5 years that is the world we live in now. Other programs have gotten lucky: LSU, Alabama, Michigan State, Stanford, Oklahoma. I agree to disagree with you. We can't just flash money at every coach. There are going to be a lot of jobs open at the end of the year. We have to be smart about the next hire I do agree we need to hire someone who is not only successful at coaching but is a solid recruiter as well and can surround himself with great associates and recruiters.

That laughing isn't because Nebraska is a crap job, it's because coaches rarely make lateral moves unless they have an emotional connection to a particular school . Urban's kids also mocked people on twitter for thinking he was going to Ohio State in 2012 so they obviously don't know sh#t about what jobs a coach might find appealing. Schools get turned down by coaches all the time, is Texas a less prestigious job because Saban didn't want to go there? What about USC getting turned down by Mike Riley, does that mean Nebraska's a more prestigious job than USC? Les Miles turned down Michigan, does that mean Michigan is a less prestigious job than LSU? Of course not. When looking for a coach you have to consider "is the coach a good fit for the school?" and "is the school a good fit for the coach?" Meyer had no interest back in 04 because he recognized what a sh#t show the Athletic department was and frankly, he just probably didn't want to live in Nebraska, the comment that he turned us down because we fired a 9 win coach is bullsh#t. He took a job at Florida replacing a fired coach who had back to back 8-5 seasons and was fired midway through a 7-5 campaign that ended with them being ranked. Hell, Zook wasn't even getting blown out like Bo and Solich were. The expectations at Florida were no less than what he would have had at Nebraska. (I know that wasn't a part of your post but I see that get brought up all the time and it drives me crazy)

• Fire 1

All this "toxic" talk is nonsense. Flash enough money at a coach, and he'll come. It's as simple as that. People on a national level realize that Pelini was a nutjob and needed to go (which is why no other major school hired him despite his 9-win average), and that Riley is an absolute joke. Nobody rational would blame us for firing either one. If a coach is scared to come here because he's afraid he can't be a consistent winner and championship contender then I don't want him anyway.

We've made offers in the past to top coordinators and coaches. Urban Meyer turned us down in 2003 while he was at Utah and then took the Florida job. His kids also went on social media laughing saying their dad will not be going to Lincoln back in 2007 and Mark Richt even laughed at the idea back then and AGAIN on a radio program after Bo was fired. There's been rumors we've made offers to: Houston Nutt, Bret Bielema, Mike Zimmer, Jim McElwain, Greg Schiano. And reportedly all turned the job down. The job is not as prestigious as you think BUT... out of all rumored candidates in the past, I do not think the athletic department made a lucrative offer to any of them.

If we want quality, we gotta pay up. I'd much rather pay for a successful coach who intends to leave in 2-3 years rather than be stuck in the dumps with a bad coach for 4-5 years that is the world we live in now. Other programs have gotten lucky: LSU, Alabama, Michigan State, Stanford, Oklahoma. I agree to disagree with you. We can't just flash money at every coach. There are going to be a lot of jobs open at the end of the year. We have to be smart about the next hire I do agree we need to hire someone who is not only successful at coaching but is a solid recruiter as well and can surround himself with great associates and recruiters.

That laughing isn't because Nebraska is a crap job, it's because coaches rarely make lateral moves unless they have an emotional connection to a particular school . Urban's kids also mocked people on twitter for thinking he was going to Ohio State in 2012 so they obviously don't know sh#t about what jobs a coach might find appealing. Schools get turned down by coaches all the time, is Texas a less prestigious job because Saban didn't want to go there? What about USC getting turned down by Mike Riley, does that mean Nebraska's a more prestigious job than USC? Les Miles turned down Michigan, does that mean Michigan is a less prestigious job than LSU? Of course not. When looking for a coach you have to consider "is the coach a good fit for the school?" and "is the school a good fit for the coach?" Meyer had no interest back in 04 because he recognized what a sh#t show the Athletic department was and frankly, he just probably didn't want to live in Nebraska, the comment that he turned us down because we fired a 9 win coach is bullsh#t. He took a job at Florida replacing a fired coach who had back to back 8-5 seasons and was fired midway through a 7-5 campaign that ended with them being ranked. Hell, Zook wasn't even getting blown out like Bo and Solich were. The expectations at Florida were no less than what he would have had at Nebraska. (I know that wasn't a part of your post but I see that get brought up all the time and it drives me crazy)

You pretty much proved my point. I've been saying all along in previous posts that no coach will accept a lateral move to Nebraska and have been more in favor of a coach on the rise or the only unknown, Scott Frost.

Lot of fail in this post.

First, Riley didn't turn down USC. He wanted to check out UCLA and they offered somebody else in the meantime.

And Urban Meyer absolutely did turn us down because we fired a 9 win coach. That was his exact comment. He reiterated the same thing in an interview earlier this year.

As to Zook, he got fired midseason for taking some of his players to a fraternity to pick a fight. He also took over a national championship program where the previous coach had 12 consecutive seasons with at least 9 wins and no more than 4 losses. Zook immediately had three 5 loss seasons in a row, and with his off field shenanigans, he was rightfully canned. So yeah, kinda of the opposite situation of Bo being fired after taking over the worst Husker program in 45 years and then having his own run of 9+ win seasons.

They had plenty of talent and that was a no-brainer job for Meyer to accept.

You pretty much proved my point. I've been saying all along in previous posts that no coach will accept a lateral move to Nebraska and have been more in favor of a coach on the rise or the only unknown, Scott Frost.

Agree, Frost will be our best available option and I think it's worth taking a shot. He has the best resume of any coordinator out there. College QB under Walsh and Osborne, National championship ring, 6 years of NFL experience, assistant coach under some alltime greats, experience coaching several positions and experience as both offensive and defensive coordinator.

Being a native Nebraskan is just icing on the cake.

I wouldn't mind seeing Frost get a chance here. Bo didn't have any head coaching ex. Why not a someone with ties to the state, who would be around for a long time, I would guess. Hell I am sure he could get some very good ideas from TO, if he needed help.

As far as Urban, from what I remember reading on this site, he was offered the job, but he was told he couldn't bring his whole staff. We wanted him to retain some of our old staff. That was the main reason he didn't take the job, I understood from back then. Also he wanted an out if the ND job opened up, and we said no. Just some of the stuff I think I remember, being posted on here. Of course, after the merry go round of the last 15 years, I could just be dizzy and wrong.

Lets just hope they get this mess figured out. I still love watching the team suit up and play the game.

GBR!!!

Sorry if all ready posted, but seems ESPN is having a field day crapping on our program.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/126283/take-two-did-nebraska-make-a-mistake-in-firing-bo-pelini

Seems like a fair and balanced article... :sarcasm

They seem to crap all over Riley and point out our future is hopeless and we would be better of with Bo, however then say he is so respected and nice if we dare fire him after at least not giving him a few years no one will come here... Never knew how much ESPN had a lingering hate for NU until this season. They see blood in our water and are circling.

"Take Two: Did Nebraska make a mistake firing Bo Pelini?"

Austin Ward: But the truth is the national landscape has changed significantly around Nebraska, perhaps most notably with some of the recruiting advantages it used to possess before every game was on television, scholarships were reduced and the limited number of local talent became a more pronounced problem. Is Nebraska still a great job? Absolutely, and the move to the Big Ten has only made it better. Does it provide an easy path back to winning a national title? Not exactly.

This. This is why we need to get a successful coach! Nebraska is still a great job. I just don't think for one second we've actually grown a pair and made a huge offer to anyone. The whole cycle of CFB has shifted now that the B1G won the first ever CFB Playoff. It's great for the conference and it pains me that we didn't take advantage of a great opportunity to get someone successful in here last year.

I agree mostly with that quote, but I wish people would stop perpetuating the myth that NU relied on giving out excess scholarships under TO.

for one, beginning in the 70s, the limit was 95. It's not like dropping to 85 was cutting the available scholarships by 1/3.

For two, when you look at his actual classes, he awarded about 23 scholarships a year on average and never exceeded today's limits. He would have been in compliance, and just as dominant, under today's rules

Agree, Frost will be our best available option and I think it's worth taking a shot. He has the best resume of any coordinator out there. College QB under Walsh and Osborne, National championship ring, 6 years of NFL experience, assistant coach under some alltime greats, experience coaching several positions and experience as both offensive and defensive coordinator.

Yet it's been noted how few of Frost's former teammates have stepped up to recommend him for the HC job. Being from Nebraska is one thing, but apparently Frost has inspired some bad mojo from his fellow Huskers.

He'd certainly be a popular choice. But the people who hate "cute" offenses might have to brace themselves.

People will say firing Riley may hurt our recruiting class, well its already established our recruiting class is nothing great. But the national laughter and the uncertainty of Riley's future is going to ruin our recruiting as well....Everyone knows Riley wont be here longer than 3 years. There is just no way, we will never have an established recruiting class while Riley is here because other coaches are just going to grill us.

The only plus side to hiring Riley was he was a "nice guy" give the program a better image. can only hope he was planned to be a short term solution to a long term problem.

Just bring in Frost already.

• Fire 3

ESPN has for whatever reason always hated Nebraska.

But the article is somewhat correct.

ESPN's college football panel voted Nebraska #1 and #3 in its poll of all-time greatest college football teams. They allowed Lee Corso and Chris Fowler to appear in the UNL-produced legacy video, declaring Nebraska football fans the most knowledgeable, and the Lincoln gameday experience the best in all college football. Jack Hoffman's Spring Game Run won the ESPY for the best single event in the entire year of sports in 2013. Last year Jordan Westerkamp's behind the back catch in the middle of a meaningless game won Best Play in College Football at the ESPYs (fans vote, but ESPN controls the ESPY nominations.) Multiple ESPN pundits launched a Suh for Heisman bandwagon over Tim Tebow in 2009.

Sometimes it's ESPN's job to report when bad things happen at Nebraska. And they are never more scathing than Husker fans on this board.

• Fire 2

Yet it's been noted how few of Frost's former teammates have stepped up to recommend him for the HC job. Being from Nebraska is one thing, but apparently Frost has inspired some bad mojo from his fellow Huskers.

He'd certainly be a popular choice. But the people who hate "cute" offenses might have to brace themselves.

Link? I have a friend who played with Frost. He was on the field for the fleakicker. He's always been a Frost supporter. He was out on the field for the '95 Team festivities also and had a chance to catch up with a lot of old teammates. I haven't taked to him since. I'll check in with him tonight and see what he thinks about the rest of the team's attitude towards Frost.

Oh, lord. This is going overboard but I chuckled a little bit... is that wrong?

COLLEGESPUN

Someone Listed Mike Riley For Sale On Lincoln, Neb. Craigslist

This has been a rough year for Nebraska football. The proud program is 3-6, with most of those losses coming in gut-punching fashion.

There’s already some whispers about first-year head coach Mike Riley being on the hot seat. In fact, there’s an ad on the Lincoln, Neb. Craigslist putting Riley up for sale.
Yes, you read that correctly. Don’t believe us, here’s the link to the ad. The introductory paragraph is a doozy.
This football coach was taken in at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln eleven months ago, saved from a sad situation in Corvallis, OR. We assumed that, given a better, more luxurious home, he would adapt to his surroundings and thrive in his new environment. This hasn’t been the case. It’s now clear that a larger home with greater responsibilities is not the place for him. He would be better off with a gentler home where less is expected of him.
They’re even offering Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst as a possible throw-in for a package deal. College football fans are incredible.

:tv Wow

Edited by NebraskaShellback

That's why I'm not sure why people keep tossing names such as Tom Herman around. He is THE hot name right now, along with Fuente. Every school looking for a coach will be courting him after the season, and he'll have his pick of the lot. If/when Riley is fired, we'll have to target someone lower on the "MOST WANTED" scale. Frost will likely be available, or maybe steal Wittingham? Who knows.

Every year there are hot names, I agree. What I don't understand is why Whittingham would ever consider leaving Utah now. They are leaps and bounds ahead of NU as a program, and he's got the right schemes to compete well in the Pac 12. I don't think these days NU would be a step up in any way for him.

He wouldn't there is no reason for him to leave Utah. He is already at a school that he can get into the playoffs from. He has a better recruiting base than at Nebraska. He is a Mormon and a lifelong resident of Utah.

Money is not always the driving factor behind everyone. It is one factor, but not the only one.

Some good quotes about the situation from the local beat writers:

From Dirk Chatelain of the Omaha World-Herald, who describes Riley's first season as "a complete disaster":

Nebraska basically has two options: Fire the athletic director now, then the coach at the end of the season, as it did in 2007. Or ride this thing out. ... Practically speaking, Nebraska has no choice but to endure this disaster for three more weeks. Hope like heck that Riley can make the proper offseason decisions to turn it around in 2016.

From Lincoln Journal Star columnist Steven M. Sipple:

University leaders may soon -- very soon -- have to make a choice: gamble that Eichorst hired the right guy in Riley and ride out the rough waters, with or without Eichorst. Or start over again from scratch -- new AD, new coaching staff.

From Omaha World-Herald columnist Tom Shatel:

It doesnt get any lower, does it? Mike Riley was hired by Shawn Eichorst to avoid these embarrassments. Now the pitchforks are out and its not because of Halloween. Forget it. Neither Eichorst not Riley is getting fired and shouldnt. The Nebraska job would become radioactive in the coaching frat. Moreover, its not how Nebraska needs to do things. This is Rileys first year. Give the man some room.

That's the thing, we aren't going to fire Mike Riley in season one. No matter how bad the results. If we did, there is no way we'd be able to attract a decent coach. Lincoln would be toxic.

That's baloney. Money talks. You throw 4 or 5 mil at a hot young coach who's confident in his abilities and looking to make a name for himself, plus all the resources Nebraska has to offer, and he couldn't care less what the last coach did.

This right here. All this talk about Toxic jobs is BS. It's a job that pays. What young coach WOULDN'T want to come here with the expectations now flipped...I mean you go bowling in year one and everyone is optimistic!...plus you made a boat load of money.

ESPN has for whatever reason always hated Nebraska.

But the article is somewhat correct.

ESPN's college football panel voted Nebraska #1 and #3 in its poll of all-time greatest college football teams. They allowed Lee Corso and Chris Fowler to appear in the UNL-produced legacy video, declaring Nebraska football fans the most knowledgeable, and the Lincoln gameday experience the best in all college football. Jack Hoffman's Spring Game Run won the ESPY for the best single event in the entire year of sports in 2013. Last year Jordan Westerkamp's behind the back catch in the middle of a meaningless game won Best Play in College Football at the ESPYs (fans vote, but ESPN controls the ESPY nominations.) Multiple ESPN pundits launched a Suh for Heisman bandwagon over Tim Tebow in 2009.

Sometimes it's ESPN's job to report when bad things happen at Nebraska. And they are never more scathing than Husker fans on this board.

Thank you. The persecution complex does get quite old. Honestly, the media would eat up a story about the sleeping giant waking up. Just because they are reporting about this sh#t show doesn't mean they have it in for us. If anything it means they still consider it newsworthy. They did the same

Thing with Florida during the Muschamp era