Kenny Bell on Culture Change at NU

Kernal

Kenny Bell, when asked if the attitude Bo brought to the team is now backfiring:

"You could definitely say that- that the attitude of the team is backfiring... just because they're polar-opposite coaches. But, I mean, with the guys- I know we got great guys- it's just tough to see such a culture change. I don't know if it's so much attitude- that the guys have a bad attitude towards coach Riley- I think it might just be that they're adjusting to a completely different culture.

"You have guys who have been with coach Bo and Dobber- the weight room staff- that have been with those guys for two-, three-, four years. I mean, it takes time to adjust and get used to new coaches.

"I know when coach Fish came in my redshirt freshman year- I had been coached by coach Gilmore- it was, I mean Fish and I went through a, not a difficult period, but an adjustment period that first year- year and a half. And that relationship is probably one of my favs- I mean I love coach Fish. What that relationship transitioned to was great, but it just took time to reach that point."

Kenny Bell "The Bottom Line" podcast from Monday.

Yes, it certainly does tend to back fire when you scrap a winning culture for a losing one.

As Kenny said, it's not that the guys have a bad attitude toward Riley and his staff. It's just that you replace a way of winning with a way of losing and there's going to be frustration.

You know, if Riley had any track record of real success as an HC (or even an assistant) in the United States, maybe I'd have some faith that this was a player problem and not a coach problem.

But folks like you are trying to get us to accept that it's the players fault (and by extension, Bo's fault) that they aren't performing under a career. 500 staff.

Sometimes, the simplest explanation is the correct one.

This is a .500 coach doing what a .500 coach tends to do.

• Fire 2

This is definitely an interesting perspective, especially knowing how much Bell loved Pelini and definitely was very outspoken about it. Very rational take.

Yes, it certainly does tend to back fire when you scrap a winning culture for a losing one.

As Kenny said, it's not that the guys have a bad attitude toward Riley and his staff. It's just that you replace a way of winning with a way of losing and there's going to be frustration.

You know, if Riley had any track record of real success as an HC (or even an assistant) in the United States, maybe I'd have some faith that this was a player problem and not a coach problem.
But folks like you are trying to get us to accept that it's the players fault (and by extension, Bo's fault) that they aren't performing under a career. 500 staff.

Sometimes, the simplest explanation is the correct one.

This is a .500 coach doing what a .500 coach tends to do.

Kenny did not at all say this nor did he allude to it. That's all you.

• Fire 3

Kenny Bell just misses the good ole days in Lincoln, where he can dance on tables at bars even though he was "injured" for the game.

He mentions bartending in this interview, but I didn't catch what bar he worked at. Do you know which one?

I know over the summer between his junior and senior year, he was at the bar the bar.