Keeping Bo Pelini was "the safest possible strategy." -Pick Six Podcast (11/3)

Kernal

There is no magic number of games or years that you MUST have before judging a coach.

If you have a coach whose team plays competive and is within a few points of the point spread in each game, it's kind of hard to judge him no matter the results.

But when you have enough of an extreme, you can judge by the first game. If you had a new coach who took over for a team that hasn't won a game in multiple seasons, and he opened with his first game at Alabama and he beat them 56-0, what more do you need to know? You've got a coach.

When you have a guy come in and take over a team that consistently wins at least 9 games a year and he takes them to their worst season in over 50 years and the most losses in school history, one season is plenty to judge that you've got a sub-mediocre coach. (Any AD with a lick of sense would've suspected as much before hiring him.)

• Fire 3

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Your perspective is not interesting. It's repetitive.

Continuing to support this admin in the face of all the evidence of its failure is repetitive. And damaging

I don't blindly support this administration. I think Shawn Eichorst should have chased Bo Pelini to Youngstown and beaten him with a sack of doorknobs to get some of the University's money back, but hey, what can you do?

Yeah, we should of got rid of him because he wasn't classy enough like you?

Unlike me, a violent unwashed fan, Shawn Eichorst showed restraint.

Shawn Eichorst also gave Bo Pelini a contract extension, an extra private plane and a bigger recruiting budget, and I'm not sure he even received a proper "thank-you."

Now that I think about it, both Bo and Eichorst should have been beaten with a sack of doorknobs.

Memory may be off, but wasn't the budget increase under Osborne, or within a month or two after him leaving (i.e., he put it in motion and secured the increase)?

Yep. Eichorst gave Bo a few token increases for recruiting. He practically tripled the recruiting budget after firing him.

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Your perspective is not interesting. It's repetitive.

Your perspective has multiple logic flaw and is repetitive in showing us your wrong about everything you post.

Is cm your sister, or just your other account?

• Fire 3

I listened to the podcast yesterday. Sam does make great points in allowing a coach to have time to make changes and turn the culture around. However, he and Nyatawa also say in the same podcast that there are serious doubts if Riley and his staff are the guys to be able to turn things around. Riley can turn around the culture and still ensure NU beats teams like BYU, Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue. I can even understand one or two of those upsets, but to lose all 4 of those games is not acceptable.

That is where I am at with Riley and the staff. The in-game decisions and many other ways that they coach the team make it very hard for me to have confidence in Riley. I don't want to just sit here and accept the fact that we are stuck with Riley for another 1-3 years in order to "give him time". It makes me annoyed and frustrated. We have been stuck in mediocrity for years, but this year is down right awful. I'm afraid that is where NU is headed under Riley.

Finally, back to the topics of the podcast and OP. Thanks, ColoradoHusk.

I agree this season has sucked, and I also agree I don't know if Riley is the right guy. I too am tired of watching seemingly every other team in the world enjoy some success while Nebraska constantly finds new ways to fall on its face. It really gets old. And it gets old in the way that I start to wonder what else happens on Saturdays besides football. That's not a good trend for the industry that is Nebraska Football, but its the direction we've been headed since Osborne retired.

No AD or coach has come in (yet) and "fixed" Nebraska football. Maybe nobody knows how. I think Sam is onto something though when he says there is a divide in the expectations for the program. One group wants a safe #9wins and another group is willing to risk #9wins for a chance at championships.

Osborne twice set Nebtadka up for sustained success with promising first time coaches that he helped mold.

Twice we let egomaniacal or incompetent Admins wreck those plans.

I wonder why we are getting the same results as the other fan bases that let the inmates run the asylum.

If that's how Sam framed it, he's a fool.

No one in the husker world was "settling" for 9/10 wins.

But the evidence was that it was the floor and not the ceiling with Bo.

And clearly, firing Solich was a horrific error. One that everyone should admit to now.

Osborne is not a hall-of-fame coach-picker and never will be. Just like he's not an astrophysicist. Osborne was a great college head football coach and OC. That's it. Pelini was a failure.

• Fire 3

But the evidence was that it was the floor and not the ceiling with Bo.

Using that logic, you could also say that 4 losses every year was Bo's ceiling.

And clearly, firing Solich was a horrific error. One that everyone should admit to now.

Nope. Firing Frank was the right move. Hiring Callahan was the wrong move.

Similar to where we are now. Firing Bo was the right move. Hiring Riley may be the wrong move.

• Fire 2

There is no magic number of games or years that you MUST have before judging a coach.

If you have a coach whose team plays competive and is within a few points of the point spread in each game, it's kind of hard to judge him no matter the results.

But when you have enough of an extreme, you can judge by the first game. If you had a new coach who took over for a team that hasn't won a game in multiple seasons, and he opened with his first game at Alabama and he beat them 56-0, what more do you need to know? You've got a coach.

When you have a guy come in and take over a team that consistently wins at least 9 games a year and he takes them to their worst season in over 50 years and the most losses in school history, one season is plenty to judge that you've got a sub-mediocre coach. (Any AD with a lick of sense would've suspected as much before hiring him.)

A statistician would tell you you're wrong. One win, no matter how good (or loss, however bad), is hardly predictive of anything. It could be entirely an artifact of small sample size. That coach could line up his squad and lose every other game that season. It doesn't matter how extreme one data point is.

Probably just the baseball fan in me, but I'm waiting fore more data before drawing definite conclusions.

• Fire 3

Huh. When I pointed out that Bo Pelini inherited a 7- 5 team at Youngstown State, brought in some of his own Power 5 studs, and is now coaching sub-500 football and complaining about the 14,000 seat stadium being half-full, you insisted that context was everything.

• Fire 7

Huh. When I pointed out that Bo Pelini inherited a 7- 5 team at Youngstown State, brought in some of his own Power 5 studs, and is now coaching sub-500 football and complaining about the 14,000 seat stadium being half-full, you insisted that context was everything.

#BOOM

In 2001 Pete Caroll went 6-6 with an avg. losing margin of 4.8 ppg. The next season they went 11-2

df77b593820697ad4a33fb8c6a7e0868.jpg

USC also improved in Carroll's first year; they went 5-7 in 2000.

If Nebraska would have shown any improvement since Riley took over, I think he would get more support.