Please stop thinking that our situation is somehow unique.

I think we are Unique. Here is why we are unique and why Nebraska fans have such a hard time with this. From 1962-2001 Nebraska was the model of consistency. From 1969 till 2001 Nebraska never won less than 9 games every year. No other team can say that. No down years. Since 2001 NU has had 2 and soon to be 3 losing records. That is what we can't handle to go 40 years and always be good is hard to process.

It's not. Programs go through tough times. There is nothing we are going through that dozens of other great programs haven't gone through before. Sure fans and the media present these situations as huge turning points in a program's history, but they rarely are. In a couple of years, this season will be nothing more than a page in the Cornhuskers' history book. The mistake is to believe this 2015 season is somehow special or more relevant than 2014 or 2016. It's not.

Nebraska will continue to have great coaches and great football teams. Every program is a unique combination of positive and negative factors. Sure we have challenges - recruits like Los Angeles better than Lincoln. Everything's a trade off. The most important thing to keep in mind: In the world of college football great programs are literally too big to fail. The whole structure, the way the money flows, etc. means that programs like Nebraska will be given chance after chance because Nebraska is a giant brand in college football. Unfair to all the smaller, potentially more deserving programs out there, but that's the way today's college football is.

So the conclusion here is that all the hand wringing, all the drama, all the "This is the end of Nebraska" articles are nothing but a giant waste of time and will be forgotten soon. It's a necessary waste of time because college football is entertainment, and this is very entertaining to a lot of people. But a waste of time nonetheless. Keep that in mind the next time you feel bitter or hopeless.

"But Nebraska has a loyal fan base that USC and UCLA would gladly give up their 5* recruits for."

Where is the guffaw emoji when you need it?

I think we are Unique. Here is why we are unique and why Nebraska fans have such a hard time with this. From 1962-2001 Nebraska was the model of consistency. From 1969 till 2001 Nebraska never won less than 9 games every year. No other team can say that. No down years. Since 2001 NU has had 2 and soon to be 3 losing records. That is what we can't handle to go 40 years and always be good is hard to process.

Nearly all of those 32 years of 9-wins is due to one hall-of-fame coach: as OC, HC, then with his recruits and former assistant as HC. How can Nebraska say that the record of one of the best coaches in CFB history is our standard?

We have got to let Tom Osborne go. No one is every going to repeat what he did here. That doesn't mean we can't win again, but it's never going to look like it did when he was running things.

• Fire 1

It's not. Programs go through tough times. There is nothing we are going through that dozens of other great programs haven't gone through before. Sure fans and the media present these situations as huge turning points in a program's history, but they rarely are. In a couple of years, this season will be nothing more than a page in the Cornhuskers' history book. The mistake is to believe this 2015 season is somehow special or more relevant than 2014 or 2016. It's not.

Nebraska will continue to have great coaches and great football teams. Every program is a unique combination of positive and negative factors. Sure we have challenges - recruits like Los Angeles better than Lincoln. But Nebraska has a loyal fan base that USC and UCLA would gladly give up their 5* recruits for. Everything's a trade off. The most important thing to keep in mind: In the world of college football great programs are literally too big to fail. The whole structure, the way the money flows, etc. means that programs like Nebraska will be given chance after chance because Nebraska is a giant brand in college football. Unfair to all the smaller, potentially more deserving programs out there, but that's the way today's college football is.

So the conclusion here is that all the hand wringing, all the drama, all the "This is the end of Nebraska" articles are nothing but a giant waste of time and will be forgotten soon. It's a necessary waste of time because college football is entertainment, and this is very entertaining to a lot of people. But a waste of time nonetheless. Keep that in mind the next time you feel bitter or hopeless.

I was just thinking this same thing when I was on the Minnesota board looking at some internet posts from about 1960(insert sarcasm imogee)...but hey they were too big to fail and were given chance after chance...you are right, they turned out "great", too big to fail..

this program is in deep chit. we need the right people in place at the top.

Minnesota was the first program to pop into my mind as well when I first read this. BYU is another one. Pitt is another one. There's no guarantee no matter who we hire/fire that we're a contender again. When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced a Wiegert, Green, Crouch, etc.?

Nebraska will continue to have great coaches and great football teams. Every program is a unique combination of positive and negative factors. Sure we have challenges - recruits like Los Angeles better than Lincoln. But Nebraska has a loyal fan base that USC and UCLA would gladly give up their 5* recruits for. Everything's a trade off. The most important thing to keep in mind: In the world of college football great programs are literally too big to fail. The whole structure, the way the money flows, etc. means that programs like Nebraska will be given chance after chance because Nebraska is a giant brand in college football. Unfair to all the smaller, potentially more deserving programs out there, but that's the way today's college football is.

I was just thinking this same thing when I was on the Minnesota board looking at some internet posts from about 1960(insert sarcasm imogee)...but hey they were too big to fail and were given chance after chance...you are right, they turned out "great", too big to fail..

this program is in deep chit. we need the right people in place at the top.

Minnesota was the first program to pop into my mind as well when I first read this. BYU is another one. Pitt is another one. There's no guarantee no matter who we hire/fire that we're a contender again. When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced a Wiegert, Green, Crouch, etc.?

agreed as far as being a dominant contender again...we will likely never be as dominant as we were ...but to me, being a contender again means just being in the vicinity again...

How about a consistent top 25 team? Good game time decisions, not throwing 50 times with a kid who has 7 attempts against a bottom 25 run defense all while our running backs (which are plenty fine enough)standing on the sidelines amassing 50 yards...50 YARDS!! that's what we used to do occasionally to top10 teams...

If I had it my way, we would come out and say "hey, Lincoln is in the northern part of the country. we play in the Big 10 which requires a strong run game if nothing else than because of the weather, our identity on offense is a punishing running game. that's job 1. Job 1 begins with a strong run blocking line, and we are going to recruit to that, and that only, until hell freezes over or we get 3 deep, whichever comes first. when we think we are 2-3 solid and deep, we will start on job 2. find a run first, pass second QB and some good WR's. same thing on defense. the identity is a great run defense, then we focus on pass coverage second. maybe this isnt the order, but something along these lines..

My point is, you cant eat the whole cow in 1 setting, you gotta break it down into manageable pieces. 1 step at a time, 1 foot in front of the other.

You have an identity, recruit to it, eat the cow 1 bite at a time. Hell, you fix just our O line and we are a 7-9 win team with a crap defense. hard for the other guys to score when their offense is on the field only 18 minutes(usually, not Purdue) you spiffy up the defense next, pick up another win or 2,all of a sudden we are a decent bowl contender again....an identity that matches our conference , climate, tradition is emerging....ticket prices start getting a little tougher and more expensive, the program is in the vicinity again...with a little luck, more time and fine tuning, recruiting get a little better, a more recognized identity is emerging, we might just get into the top 10. now we are in the vicinity which is all that matters to most of us......and then 1 day, you just happen to pull out a special season nobody sees coming once in a while like the royals just did...and it comes together.

Its not nearly as easy as i've outlined, but that's what Id do...but that's me and I'm not a football coach making $2M per year...so i'm sure my logic is flawed in so many ways...

that's all.

• Fire 1

SMU was huge, and they failed. Along with a number of other teams. Here is an honest question, and also the reason why so many are at the tipping point now. When you say that Nebraska will continue to have great coaches and great football teams, what in the last 14 years convinces you of that? And where were those great coaches and teams during that span?

You are right about college football being entertainment. But it's also something that the people of Nebraska can identify with and take pride in. And it's certainly not a waste of time, at least not to the 90k who pack the stadium and the millions more who watch on tv.

SMU was huge, and they failed. Along with a number of other teams. Here is an honest question, and also the reason why so many are at the tipping point now. When you say that Nebraska will continue to have great coaches and great football teams, what in the last 14 years convinces you of that? And where were those great coaches and teams during that span?

You are right about college football being entertainment. But it's also something that the people of Nebraska can identify with and take pride in. And it's certainly not a waste of time, at least not to the 90k who pack the stadium and the millions more who watch on tv.

SMU was also hit with the death penalty....

14 years isn't really that long, especially given how consistently successful Nebraska was prior to that. I get your point, but my main point is that Nebraska isn't going to lose potential or opportunity for greatness anytime soon. That doesn't mean there is a guarantee we'll be awesome again anytime soon, but chances are we will be some day.

Nearly all of those 32 years of 9-wins is due to one hall-of-fame coach: as OC, HC, then with his recruits and former assistant as HC. How can Nebraska say that the record of one of the best coaches in CFB history is our standard?

We have got to let Tom Osborne go. No one is every going to repeat what he did here. That doesn't mean we can't win again, but it's never going to look like it did when he was running things.

Preach it brother! biggrin1.gif

I knew this as soon as he announced his retirement. 18 years later and some folks still hold onto his legacy like it's their only lifeline to happiness in this world.

SMU was also hit with the death penalty....

Just making the point that big programs can slide into mediocrity, regardless of the circumstances.

We can't really compare SMU's fall to anyone else because of the uniqueness of their situation. Afaik, they are still the only team to ever be handed the death penalty.

I understand the point you were making, I just don't think SMU was a good example. :)