Volkswagen and Nebraska Football

BIG ERN

Did you want Solich fired in '03?

I wish he would never have been hired as HC and Byrne would have been able to hire the coach he wanted. A coach that has won 80% of his games.

What coach was that?

The Solich haters think Byrne was going to get Stoops.

So you don’t think Byrne’s hands were tied and Solich was his top choice?

And I’m not a Solich hater; his service to the University is admirable and he was a great Running Backs coach. I’m just someone who never thought he was the best choice to take over the program and wished then and still do that we would have hired someone else (from that staff or from outside the program).

Thanks though.

That expresses how I feel about Solich better than I could have myself. He did admirable work on TO's staff, and he was a gamer as a ball player (from what I've read). But I wasn't keen on seeing him take over as head coach. Oh well. It's water under the bridge. Frank recovered, and put together a nice body of work at Ohio.

Frank put together a really nice body of work as HC of the Huskers. A very underappreciated body of work.

That 7-7 season in 2002 was pretty fantastic!

Frank didn't recruit nearly well enough. Can you really say that the team Callahan took over had 1997 talent on it still? Regardless, Frank wasn't fired for his record. He was fired for his poor recruiting and his extra curricular activities.

I see your problem. Your standard for Solich was "1997 Talent and Performance" every year. That's delusional.

Callahan's '04 roster had 14 guys on the defensive side that would later sign NFL contracts. 4 years in, Callahan was still fielding as many as 7 Solich recruits on the offensive side of the ball.

But you still pine for Billy, don't ya?

Pettit ignores that:

1. Bo did tell them they should work hard for their new coach (you can read the audio transcrip).

LOL....this is akin to:

Father going through divorce and having a supper with his young kids: "Kids, your mother is a rotten slutty whore that is a cowardice bitch and is impossible to live with. Her a-hole parents are clueless and do nothing but tear me apart for no reason other than their own hidden motives......But, I want you to try your best to love her and your grand parents. But, if you don't want to love them, there are other places you can live. Good luck."

Yeah....that really inspires the thought of saying goodbye in a supportive way. But...hey....he did say, "But, I want you to try your best to love them".

Bad analogy. Bo didn't bad mouth his successor. He only talked badly about Pederhorst. And he told the truth.

A better analogy would be the dad telling the kids that their mother is a wonderful woman, but her boss is a jackass.

Bo talked badly about many more then SE on many occasions. he hated everyone and everything here at Nebraska and made it well known to his players how he felt. he pissed in the well every chance he had. but he did...at the end of telling everyone how bad it was here...tell them to support their new coach. Mike may be the only person he didn't throw under the bus from Nebraska....good thing you are here to do that for Bo.

Pettit ignores that:

1. Bo did tell them they should work hard for their new coach (you can read the audio transcrip).

LOL....this is akin to:

Father going through divorce and having a supper with his young kids: "Kids, your mother is a rotten slutty whore that is a cowardice bitch and is impossible to live with. Her a-hole parents are clueless and do nothing but tear me apart for no reason other than their own hidden motives......But, I want you to try your best to love her and your grand parents. But, if you don't want to love them, there are other places you can live. Good luck."

Yeah....that really inspires the thought of saying goodbye in a supportive way. But...hey....he did say, "But, I want you to try your best to love them".

Bad analogy. Bo didn't bad mouth his successor. He only talked badly about Pederhorst. And he told the truth.

A better analogy would be the dad telling the kids that their mother is a wonderful woman, but her boss is a jackass.

LOL...nothing in my analogy said anything about a successor. My analogy is spot on.

It is absolutely laughable and scary at the same time that you can look at the transcript or listen to his words and not think he was poisoning the thoughts of those players towards the administration and their future as a Husker football team. His actions are almost classic abusive actions in a relationship.

KSU ended ranked there after losing in the Fiesta Bowl to Buckeyes. Not familiar with Texas' ending of season, but those teams were very good. NO disgrace in losing those games. Mizzou wasn't bad either. Brad Smith was super fast. Everyone points to that, but hardly anyone remembers that Ozzy lost games to unranked Mizzou, Iowa ST and other teams along his tenure. Sometimes, some teams rise above for a period in time, but don't sustain it. This is what made Nebraska so great. Sure, we lost a few games in certain years to teasm we should not have, but during a 30 year period, we stayed consistent. Too late to know what would have been, but I think Solich would have maintained 9-10 wins a season. We will never know. Bo would have been here at least 3 years, and would have added to the recruiting base here along with Solich.

Now we are seeing the price we paid for being arrogant and unrealistic about the landscape of the sport.

Yep. Firing Solich was the biggest mistake in the history of college football. And we learned nothing from it.

If Frank is such a fantastic head coach, then why isn't he at a power 5 school? If Frank is such a fantastic head coach then why isn't he going undefeated at a MAC school? Why isn't he winning his conference every single year? Looking at his list of accomplishments, Frank is probably an average coach at best.

Because Nebraska is the only major P5 school that hires 60+ year old coaches.

Frank is the winningest coach in Ohio history and is moving in on the winningest coach in MAC history.

Frank had a Heisman winner, several top ten finishes, BCS bowl wins, conference championship, national championship appearance and coach of the year honors. His first 6 years were better than TO's first six years. He's WAAAAY above average.

We had no business being in the NC that year.

So you were one of the "fans" rooting against us getting into the NC game. Not surprised. That's the most disgusting attitude I've ever heard expressed by someone who claims to be a fan.

There was a system in place. We were the #2 team in that system. We had every right to be there. And there wasn't a team who deserved it any more than us.

And that system has proved to be a complete joke over the years, hence the new playoff system.

Oregon deserved to be in it before we did.

Only an Oregon fan could come to that conclusion. A fairly mediocre Stanford team put up 49 points in their win over Oregon. The same Stanford team that lost to both WSU and Washington, allowing both teams to put up over 40 points on them. In the last two weeks of the season, Oregon squeaked out a 1 point win against unranked UCLA and a 3 point win against a hapless 5-6 Oregon State team. In the final Sagarin rankings, we were STILL ahead of Oregon even though they won their bowl game and we lost ours.

You're blinded by Frank hatred. What was your screenname on bigredboard?

This is the only board I have been apart of, nice try though.

"3-9 is good for the program"

How about the current players?

I truly can't believe how deluded some have become.

3-9 is absolutely needed for some fans, like the count. The amount of ego that certain fans tie into the football program is beyond ridiculous. That ego needs a beating.

However, it happened before, and it didn't seem to do any good then. So, maybe there's just no hope for certain fans.

OTH, I feel bad for the players recruited under the previous HC during a season like this.

I totally agree.

I feel bad for some of the players that have to endure a down year like this, of course they too attribute to that down year. But some Husker fans need a serious beat down on their entitlement and "holier than thou" mentality.

There's actually radio show hosts and fans talking about this game Saturday, saying if we win, no way should we rush the field. "Act like you've been there" they say. "We're better than that"!

The hell we are. We aren't better than anybody right now. We are right on par with the same teams that storm the field when they beat us. We haven't been overwhelmingly better than the in a long time. Sure we've won a lot of games, more than we have this year, but I've seen nothing on the field that spreads us from the pack aside from a kid named Ameer Abdullah and Ndamukong Suh if you want to go back further.

If we win Saturday, hell yes storm that field students. Enjoy the highs when you can. This should be fun. Stop getting so low with the lows. What good does it do.

We'll be back someday. I guarantee it.

Thanks to some pouty entitled asshat, I'm sitting in their seat Saturday night. Got em cheap! Me and my daughter will enjoy it I promise!

I have mixed feelings about "feeling sorry for the players". Yes, I hate to see the Huskers lose and I want to see every player that puts on the scarlet and cream to come away with an amazing career. However, that career is based on what they do and how THEY play as a team.

If they are a player that came into the game last week against a team that is much less talented than them NOT wanting to make a statement and demolish them, then that's on THEM. If they came into that game without the right mentality though out the week of practice to prepare and get ready to literally kick someone's ass, that isn't on anyone but them. If that O line didn't come in with the attitude we are going to lay it all on the field to protect this QB that is starting for the first time, then that's on them.

I fail to see how someone feels sorry for the majority of players on this team. Now, I don't have animosity towards them. It's simply indifference to me.

Pettit ignores that:

LOL....this is akin to:

LOL...nothing in my analogy said anything about a successor. My analogy is spot on.

It is absolutely laughable and scary at the same time that you can look at the transcript or listen to his words and not think he was poisoning the thoughts of those players towards the administration and their future as a Husker football team. His actions are almost classic abusive actions in a relationship.

What does a football player care about the administration? Well, when Harvey is at practice ogling them, I guess they might have a little concern.

Pettit ignores that:

LOL....this is akin to:

Bo talked badly about many more then SE on many occasions. he hated everyone and everything here at Nebraska and made it well known to his players how he felt. he pissed in the well every chance he had. but he did...at the end of telling everyone how bad it was here...tell them to support their new coach. Mike may be the only person he didn't throw under the bus from Nebraska....good thing you are here to do that for Bo.

That's patently false, but if it helps you deal with this crap season, believe whatever you want.

3-9 is absolutely needed for some fans, like the count. The amount of ego that certain fans tie into the football program is beyond ridiculous. That ego needs a beating.

However, it happened before, and it didn't seem to do any good then. So, maybe there's just no hope for certain fans.

OTH, I feel bad for the players recruited under the previous HC during a season like this.

I totally agree.

I feel bad for some of the players that have to endure a down year like this, of course they too attribute to that down year. But some Husker fans need a serious beat down on their entitlement and "holier than thou" mentality.

There's actually radio show hosts and fans talking about this game Saturday, saying if we win, no way should we rush the field. "Act like you've been there" they say. "We're better than that"!

The hell we are. We aren't better than anybody right now. We are right on par with the same teams that storm the field when they beat us. We haven't been overwhelmingly better than the in a long time. Sure we've won a lot of games, more than we have this year, but I've seen nothing on the field that spreads us from the pack aside from a kid named Ameer Abdullah and Ndamukong Suh if you want to go back further.

If we win Saturday, hell yes storm that field students. Enjoy the highs when you can. This should be fun. Stop getting so low with the lows. What good does it do.

Thanks to some pouty entitled asshat, I'm sitting in their seat Saturday night. Got em cheap! Me and my daughter will enjoy it I promise!

What good does it do to storm the field. You endanger your fellow fans, the players, and damage property. And why, because you have self esteem issues? You don't even honor your team doing it, you insult them.

Support your team. Applaud their accomplishments, from the stands, where fans belong.

• Fire 1

Pettit ignores that:

LOL....this is akin to:

That's patently false, but if it helps you deal with this crap season, believe whatever you want.

Well, he did love himself while he was here.

• Fire 1

I totally agree.

What good does it do to storm the field. You endanger your fellow fans, the players, and damage property. And why, because you have self esteem issues? You don't even honor your team doing it, you insult them.

Support your team. Applaud their accomplishments, from the stands, where fans belong.

Not really sure what good it does. It sounds fun.

My argument wasn't really about the pros and cons of storming the field, it was more against the idea that we are somehow "above it".

Pettit ignores that:

LOL....this is akin to:

What does a football player care about the administration? Well, when Harvey is at practice ogling them, I guess they might have a little concern.

LOL....really?

Ummm....who are the players going to have to trust to hire them a good coach when Bo is gone? When Bo poisons that trust, it poisons the entire process.

Now, I don't expect you to believe that based on your past posts. However, your posts also show how blind you are to the situation.

• Fire 1

Pettit ignores that:

LOL....this is akin to:

LOL....really?

Ummm....who are the players going to have to trust to hire them a good coach when Bo is gone? When Bo poisons that trust, it poisons the entire process.

Now, I don't expect you to believe that based on your past posts. However, your posts also show how blind you are to the situation.

Well, I guess you're right. They should have been concerned. Pederhorst DID botch the hire. The players are paying the price.

I totally agree.

Not really sure what good it does. It sounds fun.

My argument wasn't really about the pros and cons of storming the field, it was more against the idea that we are somehow "above it".

I agree.

We need to be having fun as a fan base and team. Even as a student, I never understood storming the field. Just seemed odd to me. However, if we somehow upset MSU tomorrow and the students storm the field to celebrate with those players, then AWESOME......it means they appreciate the accomplishment and hopefully the players feel the love.