ESPN: Woeful seasons at Oregon State, Nebraska point to Mike Riley's mismanagement

Saunders

Oregon State, Mike Riley's old team, is 0-5 in Pac-12 play, and odds are the Beavers will go winless in their final four conference matchups and finish 2-10.

Nebraska, Mike Riley's new team, is 1-4 in the Big Ten and 3-6 overall. This is the first time in the Cornhuskers' history they've had six losses by the end of October, and they still have to play No. 7 Michigan State and No. 9 Iowa.

The Beavers went 5-7 in Riley's final year in Corvallis, their third losing record in five seasons. In the seven seasons under Bo

Pelini before Riley arrived at Nebraska, the Cornhuskers never won fewer than nine games.

This is a recitation of the most obvious facts of Riley's recent coaching résumé. While a nuanced interpretation can be more charitable -- Riley built and sustained a solid Oregon State program that was once a national laughingstock and he's only in his first season at Nebraska -- the most obvious facts don't speak favorably of Riley and his staff.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/126330/woeful-seasons-at-oregon-state-nebraska-point-to-mike-rileys-mismanagement

• Fire 4

So Anderso(e)n losing at OSU is Riley's fault and Riley losing here is also Riley's fault.

It's all Riley's fault.

Riley.

Well when you look at the similarities between the two programs, there's really only one thing that links them.

Look, you can't blame this season on Pelini the same way you can't blame OSU sucking on RIley, they may have contributed (to varying extents) but at a certain point you have to suck it up and take control of the program. It is a backwards argument, either OSU sucks because of Riley and NU sucks because of Peini, or OSU sucks because of Andersen and NU sucks because of Riley. Not everything sucks because of Riley.

You can't use that circular logic very effictively unless you are just trying get on the hate train and get some clicks on your article... Which is what he is doing.

• Fire 1

So Anderso(e)n losing at OSU is Riley's fault and Riley losing here is also Riley's fault.

It's all Riley's fault.

Riley.

Well when you look at the similarities between the two programs, there's really only one thing that links them.

Look, you can't blame this season on Pelini the same way you can't blame OSU sucking on RIley, they may have contributed (to varying extents) but at a certain point you have to suck it up and take control of the program. It is a backwards argument, either OSU sucks because of Riley and NU sucks because of Peini, or OSU sucks because of Andersen and NU sucks because of Riley. Not everything sucks because of Riley.

You can't use that circular logic very effictively unless you are just trying get on the hate train and get some clicks on your article... Which is what he is doing.

No, that's not really how it works. It's entirely possible that Riley really isn't at fault for either (not my opinion) or that he's at fault for both. Example: Bill Callahan succeeded in driving the Raiders into the ground before coming to Nebraska and doing the same.

So the reason Nebraska has went from 9-4 to 3-6 so far, ISN'T because of any of our former coaches failures, not because of a transition to completely different schemes, or entirely different personal and professional philosophies. It's the fault of the guy who CAME, Mr. Mike Riley.

The reason Oregon St. has went from 5-7 to 2-6 so far, IS because of the former coaches failures. Not because of the completely different schemes, or entirely different personal and professional philosophies. It's the fault of the guy who LEFT, Mr. Mike Riley.

Boy, people want to blame this guy for everything. Pretty desperate and pretty unfair IMO.

Oregon St. offense averaged 25.7 points per game last year. They average 19.4 this year. 8 games in, Mike Riley's offense had scored 209 points last season. 8 games into this season, Gary Anderson's offense has scored 155 points.

Last year, Oregon St. had 376 rushing attempts total for 3.77 yards per attempt. 8 games in, Anderson's offense already has 318 attempts for 4.51 yards per carry. That's an average of 39.75 attempts per game for Anderson. Riley's offense averaged 31.3 attempts per game. Difference in philosophy there is obvious already. By the way, does Riley get credit for the YPC average going up significantly?

Riley's offense averaged 39.3 passing attempts per game. Anderson's offense average almost 10 less at 29.3. Huge difference there.

Why can't we just acknowledge the vast difference in coaching styles in each situation. Acknowledge that the players at each school don't necessarily match the offensive or defensive philosophies; and cut the sh#t with this scapegoat head hunting nonsense.

• Fire 3

A typical ESPN article, saying nothing new, saying nothing original, and saying nothing relevant, just trying to use some sort of sensationalism to get clicks and get readers. I wish I could have the two minutes back that I spent reading it, but curiosity killed the cat and I bit. My final thought is "I really don't give a $h** what Oregon State's record is, I'm a Nebraska fan, write an article, something original detailing how to fix it.

• Fire 4

It's all Riley's fault.

Riley.

Last year Youngstown State was 7-2 at this point in the season. This year they are 4-4. Thanks Obama, err, I mean Riley.

That actually is Riley's fault. If we would have hired Tressel like we were supposed to, Tressel isn't at YSU so he never hires Pelini and the Penguins are saved.

It's all Riley's fault.

Riley.

Last year Youngstown State was 7-2 at this point in the season. This year they are 4-4. Thanks Obama, err, I mean Riley.

Youngstown State was 7-2 now they're 4-4! Holy Crap!

Yes Bo.....7!

t568thbexkrrsnibqun7.jpg

Their AD must be supporting them from under a freaking rock this year!

• Fire 2

True, in reference the the offense, Riley didn't have any QB's on the roster to replace Sean Mannion. OSU had like 3 true freshman to pick from.

Sometimes I wish we had three true freshman to choose from.

I kid, I kid.

Looks like Anderson at OSU must've picked the wrong one huh? Their offense sucks. Or it could be that Anderson and Riley don't even come close to having the same philosophy offensively.

Let's stick to the mantra here, blame coaches and blame players. Transition, smansmitions.

True, in reference the the offense, Riley didn't have any QB's on the roster to replace Sean Mannion. OSU had like 3 true freshman to pick from.

Sometimes I wish we had three true freshman to choose from.

I kid, I kid.

Looks like Anderson at OSU must've picked the wrong one huh? Their offense sucks.

Yeah, they've had it rough. I believe all 3 have played too. I know the starter is out this week because of an injury.