National Disrespect For Michigan St Before the Nebraska Game

This Nebraska team is heartbroken by numerous last play losses this year, and it has affected their effort level on the field, which was magnified by the Purdue game. Now, they are going to face easily their toughest opponent at home this coming Saturday, and Husker Nation is collecting itself to try and rally behind their team. However, it seems that national sources are trying to light a fire under Michigan St just before they come to Lincoln.

Why is the CFP committee and Vegas trying grow the permanent chip that is on the shoulder of Michigan St before they come to Nebraska? Vegas sets the line for this game at -4.5 (now between -5.5 and -6.5) in favor of Michigan St. Really? Michigan St, a Top 10 team nationally (Top 1 in the B1G), is only favored by less than a TD versus a 3-6 Nebraska, who is at the bottom of the B1G standings? Also, the CFP Selection Committee releases their first rankings and has an undefeated Michigan St team #7 behind two one-loss teams. This stuff is bulletin board fodder for Michigan St as they prepare for a "rebuilding" Nebraska. Does this give a reason to Dantonio to run up the score on Nebraska, given the chance?

If ever there was a game that Memorial Stadium needs to be roaring and that the Huskers need to come out white hot, it is this Saturday. The goals of this season are lost, so now it is time to play for pride, play the Big Red N, and spoil Sparty's season. GO BIG RED!

Nebraska is as talented as MSU, if you believe the (flawed, imo) methodology that was used to try to show that Purdue is as taletned as NU. Nebraska has home field and nothing to lose. They can definitely pull off this win.

Below is the breakdown, if interested:

The numbers are:

Nebraska Offense - 5.59 rating (2.9 stars)

Michigan State Offense - 5.66 rating (3.0 stars)

In fact, if one controls for the walkons, of which NU is starting 2 versus 1 on offense, NU's average among scholarship players is actually higher in terms of "star power" and identical in terms of rating numbers (5.7 for each).

I'll have to run the defensive numbers when I have more time.

(and suffice to say, imagine my surprise when I discovered Purdue is actually as or more talented than MSU based on this methodology)

I think most people think Nebraska isn't as bad as their 3-6 record. Furthermore, MSU has struggled in quite a few games that a top ten team should win easily. They're not convincing, just like Iowa isn't.

MSU on the road this year, 37-24 Western Michigan, 31-24 Rutgers, and 27-23 @ Michigan. So their games on the road have been fairly close.

If Nebraska can be loud and be disruptive to Connor Cook's communication, it could be absolutely game changing. I'm not sugarcoating that. It truly could influence this game.

We need Husker fans to get their sh#t together this weekend and bring it for this team!

Night game and both teams should be fueled by the disrespect they've received this week. I'm sure MSU doesn't like the fact that so many people think this game will be close. They will want to prove something. Nebraska should be pissed......well, you know why.

I mean you have to admit, we do have a knack for keeping it close. Even when we're getting blown out like against Purdue and Miami this year we make a crazy comeback to make it a closer game. We've also had close games against Michigan St the past few times we've played them. I think Vegas has it about right.

Vegas and the CFP Committee aren't trying to do anything other than their jobs. It's pretty delusional to think either of these entities is trying to motivate MSU and/or Nebraska in any direction. Neither gives a damn about either team, as it should be. And Vegas isn't some entity with an agenda, it is simply the result of an initial line makers best guess at where the money will lay evenly on both teams and subsequent betting action adjusting that thought. I'm not too worried about the CFP committee, they have plenty of time to get their job done right before the end of the season. But I don't have a clue what the Vegas line makers could be thinking. If I still gambled on football, which I haven't in years, this would be a game I would consider putting mucho dinero on MSU at -4.5 or so. But Nebraska is just inconsistent enough and MSU unimpressive enough to make anything possible.

• Fire 1

I think most people think Nebraska isn't as bad as their 3-6 record. Furthermore, MSU has struggled in quite a few games that a top ten team should win easily. They're not convincing, just like Iowa isn't.

thats because those people are actually watchingthe games and think. Seems to be a lot of folks here that dont do either.
  • Fire 1

Vegas and the CFP Committee aren't trying to do anything other than their jobs. It's pretty delusional to think either of these entities is trying to motivate MSU and/or Nebraska in any direction. Neither gives a damn about either team, as it should be. And Vegas isn't some entity with an agenda, it is simply the result of an initial line makers best guess at where the money will lay evenly on both teams and subsequent betting action adjusting that thought. I'm not too worried about the CFP committee, they have plenty of time to get their job done right before the end of the season. But I don't have a clue what the Vegas line makers could be thinking. If I still gambled on football, which I haven't in years, this would be a game I would consider putting mucho dinero on MSU at -4.5 or so. But Nebraska is just inconsistent enough and MSU unimpressive enough to make anything possible.

My comment about Vegas and the Selection Committee stirring up Michigan St was not meant to be taken literaturally. More that their actions could result in Michigan St taking offense and coming to Lincoln with something to prove. I get that tone can be difficult to read, but your point is not enhanced by taking jabs at other posters. Poor form.