Contract Extensions

hucksker

Let me cut off the "It's standard to have five years of contract out in front so it doesn't affect recruiting." BS off before it even starts. Because everybody knows that a coach can and will be fired regardless of how much time is left on his contract, with the remainder being bought out. So regardless of what Riley does or doesn't do, having a "guaranteed contract" for five more years doesn't even guarantee he will be around 2016 Spring Practice.

That being said, I think they should keep Riley for the rest of his contract, but it isn't necessary to sign him up for any more if people aren't comfortable with the present situation.

Let me cut off the "It's standard to have five years of contract out in front so it doesn't affect recruiting." BS off before it even starts. Because everybody knows that a coach can and will be fired regardless of how much time is left on his contract, with the remainder being bought out. So regardless of what Riley does or doesn't do, having a "guaranteed contract" for five more years doesn't even guarantee he will be around 2016 Spring Practice.

That being said, I think they should keep Riley for the rest of his contract, but it isn't necessary to sign him up for any more if people aren't comfortable with the present situation.

Agreed but I'd cut him loose after year 3 or 4 if he's failing. NU should not extend MR or SE this year IMO. Let em prove they deserve it. Yeah I've heard the recruiting and extensions argument blah blah blah. Extend him for 15 years and set the buyout at 3MM fixed, fine, done. UT cut Mack loose (oh yeah he resigned) with a million years and a billion dollars remaining on his contract but perhaps because they are not stupid his buyout was peanuts (per the contract).

Our recruiting sucks anyways. Not having Riley on for an extra year will do nothing with recruits, and if so, Nebraska can replace those 2* with other 2*'s.

Nothing is guaranteed. Eichorst and Riley should be looking for jobs elsewhere if they want to continue to work in this field in the near future.

I think we all agree success should be gaged by championships...so that requires that you get to the Championship game(Big 10) to be successful.

I think we should extend Riley's contract........with a modification.

Every year you don't make it to the championship game, your contracts are extended, but you lose one year off your buyouts.

If you make it to the Championship game, you earn a year of buyout back.

So by example, Riley is hired for 2015 season with a 5 year contract and his assistants have 2 or 3. So we didn't go to the championship game so we extend his contract back to 5 years and his assist's to 2 or 3, but Riley's buyout is now down to 4 and his assist's buyout are 1 or 2. So in 2016 he doesn't get to the championship game, you extend his contract 1 year, but now his buyout is down to 3 years and his assists are down to 1 or zero. Now in the 3rd year, we get to the championship game, you extend the contracts one year and now you add back a year to the buy outs so now he is back up to 4 years buy out and the assist's are at 2 and 1. You could put a kicker in that resets all buy outs to the maximum contract amount in any year you WIN the championship game. And so on and so on.

Might put a little fire in the belly if you had to earn your buyouts.

Seems like this should fit a nice rational man like Coach Riley......if not....maybe his view of the future is not so bright.

Huck

I put this in the Perlman thread but is more appropriate here:

Every day that Eichorst still has a job at UNL makes me more disappointed and more pessimistic about our future. A contract extension would be utterly ridiculous.

The same goes for Riley too. Keeping a rolling five year contract as a recruiting tool makes sense in most situations, but no one in his right mind thinks Riley will still be here in five years. If a contract extension sways recruits, well I don't know if we want recruits who are that dumb.

Eichorst and Riley represent very expensive mistakes. Buyouts are expensive, yes, but keeping them around will be more expensive in the long run, and more years and more extensions only compound those mistakes and dig us into a deeper hole.

The whole thing just makes me sad.