TE Shaun Beyer [Iowa Commit]

Mavric

Que the "we'll never win anything with this type of recruit" comments...

Wonder if this has anything to do with our faith in getting Fant? Or could we be looking to bulk him up to a DE?

Doing a little googling, it seems that Iowa and Iowa St are slow playing him a bit. I'm assuming offers will be coming from them now that we have jumped in.

The Shaun Beyer Sweepstakes is heating up.

The Cedar Rapids Kennedy football star received a scholarship offer from the Nebraska Cornhuskers Wednesday night and also received an offer from the Air Force Academy this week, according to a source with the Kennedy football program.

Beyer has committed to North Dakota State, but has kept his options open. He also is being followed by Iowa and Iowa State.

Beyer, 6-foot-5, 210 pounds, is one of the most versatile players in the state. He has starred for the Cougars as a tight end, wide receiver, running back, quarterback, defensive end, linebacker and punter.

Beyer has caught 36 passes for 670 yards and nine touchdowns and he's carried the ball 37 times for 518 yards and four touchdowns. He's made 45 tackles, completed 4 of 5 passes for 40 yards and averages 42.0 yards on punts.

The third-ranked Cougars (11-0) will face fifth-ranked Washington (10-1) in the quarterfinals of the Class 4A playoffs Friday at 7 p.m. at Kingston Stadium.

http://www.metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32196:beyer-gets-offers-from-nebraska-air-force&catid=65:kennedy-football&Itemid=100

CEDAR RAPIDS — It took awhile, but Shaun Beyer finally has a FBS scholarship offer. He’s actually got two of them now.

Nebraska officially offered the Cedar Rapids Kennedy senior tight end Wednesday, according to Kennedy Coach Brian White. He said Beyer plans on being at the Nebraska-Iowa game the day after Thanksgiving “wearing red.”

Air Force also recently offered Beyer, who is 6-foot-5 and can run. Military academies do not give athletics scholarships, but all schooling and athletic endeavors are paid for.

Earlier in the fall, Beyer committed to FCS national champion North Dakota State, though he hoped some FBS program would come along. Iowa Coach Reese Morgan has scouted him during Kennedy games, but as of yet, the Hawkeyes have not offered a scholarship.

Beyer, whose team plays Cedar Rapids Washington in a Class 4A playoff quarterfinal Friday night at Kingston Stadium, has 36 catches and nine touchdowns for the Cougars.

He also has 518 yards rushing and four touchdowns and has completed four of five passes for 40 yards.

Defensively, he is third on Kennedy’s team in total tackles.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/blogs/diamonds-and-ice-by-jeff-johnson/kennedys-beyer-gets-nebraska-football-offer-20151104

From Husker Journal:

SHAUN BEYER, TE, 6-5, 200, CEDAR RAPIDS (KENNEDY), IOWA

Bayer is a North Dakota State commit. Nebraska offered Beyer last week and plans on visiting for the Iowa game on an unofficial visit.

Will focus on recruiting more after the season.

“Right now I’m committed to North Dakota State.” Beyer said. “I’m kind of focusing on my senior season right now. When that’s over I’ll get into more recruiting and see what happens with that, but that’s where it stands for now.”

“Actually I had a visit (unofficial) planned before they (Nebr.) offered me. I’m going to Nebraska for the Iowa game.” Beyer said

Nebraska seems like a good fit for Beyer.

“Yea! I’m definitely interested in them. I mean the tradition they have. There it’s great and their history. Just the way they play football. I like talking with their coaches they seem like good people.” Beyer said

“It would be excited to go down for a visit to talk with coaches.” Beyer said. “Seems like the atmosphere there (Nebr.) is amazing. I know the fans are pretty crazy, that’s pretty cool too. It will be my first time.”

“Coach (Tavita) Thompson contacted me on Twitter. He asked for my coach’s number, he talked with my coach for a while. Then my coach gave me his (Thompson’s) number; I’d gave him a call. That’s when he extended the offer.” Beyer said

Coach Thompson phone call with Beyer’s coach.

“He (Thompson) said he likes how I can move. He likes my speed. They use a lot of tight ends in their offense. I can fit in just right. The only worry in the beginning was that they didn’t offer me any earlier - if they would put a bunch of weight on me. That was kind of what the conversation was with Coach White.” Beyer said

“I’m about 6-5, 200 pounds. Shouldn’t have any problems putting weight on with my size and frame. Other than that Coach Thompson told my coach how I can pass block given I’m only 200 pounds.”

Beyer’s parents excited about NU’s offer as well.

“They both kind of shocked because it was kind of came out in the blue. Their very excited. It’s (Nebr.) the second FBS offer. I actual got an offer last week from the Air Force Academy which was pretty cool. It’s not anything I’m considering a lot, but it was pretty cool to get that first offer. Then when Nebraska with their history they were excited. I’m excited. It’s a pretty cool deal.” Beyer said

Air Force offer was great, but the commitment may not be there.

“I mean I think they are a great program, but I don’t think I want to commit the extra four years, because you have to stay with them for four years or five years. Then you have another four year commitment to the Air Force Academy. I don’t know if I want to do that.” Beyer said

Iowa schools.

“I get mail frequently from both probably Iowa a little bit more than Iowa State, but yea I’ve been in contact with both of them. I think there is a chance one of them could (offer). I mean I’m not counting on anything” Beyer said

cornhead.gif

Fant is ranked around #63 as a WDE by 247. 247 has this kid ranked #70 as a TE. Curious if anyone knows what 247 or any other service has this kid ranked as.

Fant is a bit taller and and about 10 pounds heavier and seems more athletic. I'm just trying to understand the interest in this kid when we seemed uninterested (perhaps not worthy of a scholarship) in Fant when he was first exploring his recruiting.

Fant is ranked around #63 as a WDE by 247. 247 has this kid ranked #70 as a TE. Curious if anyone knows what 247 or any other service has this kid ranked as.

Fant is a bit taller and and about 10 pounds heavier and seems more athletic. I'm just trying to understand the interest in this kid when we seemed uninterested (perhaps not worthy of a scholarship) in Fant when he was first exploring his recruiting.

This kid is VERY good

This kid is VERY good

Hedley, in your knowledge and opinion then ... do you believe he is better then Fant? I was impressed with Fant and am just trying to figure out how good of a "get" this kid would be for us.

This kid is VERY good

Hedley, in your knowledge and opinion then ... do you believe he is better then Fant? I was impressed with Fant and am just trying to figure out how good of a "get" this kid would be for us.

I think Beyer is a better offensive weapon than Fant. Beyer couldn't play DE like Fant though

This kid is VERY good

I think Beyer is a better offensive weapon than Fant. Beyer couldn't play DE like Fant though

Agree, Beyer is very versatile and more "polished" IMO.