I'm going to the game Saturday and I'm going to yell my ass off

knapplc

Sounds like lots of people are ditching their tickets for the Michigan State game. The season is a shambles, Sparty is a top-ten team, Nebraska is an underdog at home and half the team is injured. There doesn't seem to be much to cheer for, at least not for most people.

The fact is, we don't pay good money for these tickets to watch our team get demolished. Husker fans know good football when they see it, and we're not seeing it this year. The coaches know it, the players know it. There's a mood of gloom surrounding nearly everything about this program.

Some people are ditching their tickets, unwilling to watch a game that looks like a sure rout. I'm going with a buddy, and I've tried to sell my regular tickets, but nobody's buying. Odd, considering that Sparty, at least, is a good program.

I understand why people don't want to go to the game. It's disheartening to watch bad football. If I got served a poorly-cooked meal at a restaurant, I'd send it back to the kitchen. If it happened over and over, I'd stop going to that restaurant.

I'll be honest: I think Nebraska's going to get slaughtered. Michigan State is as-advertised, and overall a much better team. Nebraska seems to be crumbling, the howls of outrage at the coaches and players are deafening.

So, why am I going, and why will I be cheering like we're in the thick of the divisional race?

If this team is going to the gallows this weekend, condemned to their worst record in 50 years, the very least I can do is show them that they're not alone. It sucks for us as fans, and it sucks for them.

But I'm not going to abandon them. And I'm going to show those recruits visiting this game that despite a crap season, despite a slaughter on the field, despite what looks like pretty chilly weather for the game, at least some fans are still with the Huskers.

I don't believe Husker Football is done being a national power. I don't believe this is the beginning of the end. I believe this is an aberration, and we'll come back from this worst of seasons.

I don't know if these coaches are the right coaches, or these players are the right players, or the direction we're going is the right direction. I just know the team needs my support.

So that's what I'm going to do.

I couldn't sell my tickets either so I just gave them to a family member. Like you said, when you get served crap food at a restaurant over and over, you stop going. Find a good parking spot just in case you have to bail at halftime.

Go Big Red!

Huskers pull a reverse Trojan horse.

Sparty caught off guard.

Herbie with a "N" flag over East Lansing.

Judging from the picture in your signature, it sounds like you might still be stuck in 1995 :dunno

Good memories, yes; but not quite.

I have a feeling DONU fights hard.

Why must optimism equate to old times?

Sure. I changed my stance yesterday.

But, the kids are what I root for.

The kids can do it.

Make jokes if you like.

I'll be yelling for the team too.

• Fire 1

I think I'm going. Should be fun. I never was one to bail out during the hardest times. I'm not real bright.

Funny thought. What if we win? I mean, this is football. This is a home game. It'd be one of the biggest wins in Memorial Stadium in years and I would get to say that I was there.

You know what? That's exactly how I feel about Osborne's first win over Oklahoma on November 11, 1978. I was there! I watched the goal posts come down. I watched as maybe 40,000 or so fans stormed the field. It was freaking awesome.

This year, I was there for the Northwestern game. I was hoarse from yelling at the end. I'd go again but I can only afford to do this once or maybe twice a year. :(

Knapp....+100 on your post if I could.

• Fire 2