I'm going to the game Saturday and I'm going to yell my ass off

knapplc

Fair amount left in 4th with 4:00ish left. Sucks for them.

A few left, not a lot. It does suck for them. I was thinking about those folks, and the folks that left during Ohio State 2011, as I walked from the stadium tonight.

I don't believe they're lesser fans than the people who stayed. We all have our limits, and maybe those who go care so much they can't stand watching the team lose. We were down big to OSU, down by ten (or something, it's a blur) to Sparty tonight. It's hard to watch something you love so much get shamed like that.

Still, I think people should stay. I stayed for BYU, for Wisconsin and for Northwestern. It was tough at the end. Tonight doesn't make up for how much those games sucked. They were bad. This was good. The good doesn't always wash away the bad. It shouldn't, really. The bad puts the good in perspective.

As for the OP, I was wrong. I came into this game expecting to get slaughtered. I've heard enough about the struggles this team is having to know it was pretty grim in the locker room, and I didn't think it would be able to beat a focused Michigan State team.

They proved me wrong, and I've rarely been so happy to be wrong.

It's two hours after the game and I'm still buzzing. Everything hurts and I'm hungry and I really need an aspirin for this ringing in my head.

I'm really proud of the fans. They brought so much energy tonight. Even when the team got down, and in the past they've crumbled, the fans kept buzzing. There was palpable energy there tonight.

I'm really proud of the players. This is a talented Michigan State team, far more talented than a few teams we've lost to this year. Their lines are really tough and they've got an NFL-bound quarterback. We've fared poorly against such teams recently, and with the losses piling up the way they are this year, it would have been easy to pack it in. But they didn't, they kept fighting. Alex Lewis was a man tonight, and nobody was more excited for the win than him. He fairly skipped off the field, dancing and cheering along with the fans.

Tommy Armstrong was a beast. He threw that awful interception down at the goal line. How did he respond? He drove the Huskers to three straight touchdowns on three straight possessions. He stood firm in the pocket, he made plays with his feet. Tommy's raw, he's a gunslinger and he makes ill-advised throws. But he makes brilliant, breathless throws that keep us in games, he makes suckas look foolish when they try to sack him in the backfield, he just fights and fights and fights. He's a hell of a leader and anyone not on board the Tommy Train needs to get their head examined. He's a Husker from his head to his toes.

Jordan Westerkamp... man. Have we ever had a receiver like him? Not the fastest, not the tallest, but maybe the guttiest and most clutch receiver to play at Nebraska, ever. Talk about a guy selling out his body. Crushed several times in the first half, Westy was being tested for a concussion after another particularly vicious (but clean) hit. What does he do as he walks off the field? He pumps his fist at the crowd, lifting them up, cheering them on. And he made those catches on the last drive that got us down to where Tommy & Reilly hooked up.

Imani Cross, pressed into service with Newby banged up against a Sparty defense giving up an average of 115 yards a game on the ground. What does Imani do? HE SMASHES!!!! Cross ran for 101 yards, mostly between the Tackles, bulling and scrapping his way to those yards. He was a force, and we couldn't have won without him.

Alonzo Moore, selling out his body over and over to make catch after catch. If Moore isn't 2015's Turnaround Player of the Year, I don't know who would be.

Zach Sterup, starting his first game at Guard after spending the season at Tackle.

Cethan Carter, blocking like a madman all night.

So many guys dug down so deep for this win. That's what a team does.

Let's be real. This win doesn't do much for us. We've still got to beat Rutgers or Iowa to get to a bowl - and even then we'd need some help from the selectors. Rutgers likely could beat us with Leonte Caroo alone (presuming he plays, and the way this year has gone, I'd presume he does). Iowa is likely more talented than Michigan State - at least, Sam McKewon thinks so. How likely is it that we beat not one, but TWO top ten teams in one year?

Improbable. Unlikely.

This wasn't the season any of us wanted. It's not fun for the players or coaches, it's not fun for the fans. It's more like work and a pop quiz and your care dying all on the same day.

But it's nice to see that, despite how awful 2015 has turned out, that we can all get together and put aside our differences, cram the stadium of a 3-6 team full with 90,000 people, strive and fight and claw and scratch, and for one crisp Fall evening, enjoy what it is that makes us all love college football so much.

All I said I was going to do was stand with the team and give them what support I could. They did the rest. And it was fantastic.

• Fire 8

Fair amount left in 4th with 4:00ish left. Sucks for them.

A few left, not a lot. It does suck for them. I was thinking about those folks, and the folks that left during Ohio State 2011, as I walked from the stadium tonight.

I don't believe they're lesser fans than the people who stayed. We all have our limits, and maybe those who go care so much they can't stand watching the team lose. We were down big to OSU, down by ten (or something, it's a blur) to Sparty tonight. It's hard to watch something you love so much get shamed like that.

Still, I think people should stay.

Yep. I agree with this. And good comparison to that BIG come-from-behind win in 2011.

Also, let's take a moment and appreciate that this is the message the current NU FB leadership has after the game:

...in a much lesser season, with all this fire and criticism being absorbed on a daily basis. That's a guy who knows what it's all about. Love it, man. Love it.

• Fire 3