Sam McKewon's BFRU: Michigan State week

Sam Mac brings us another BFRU.

It's been awhile, you see. There's been a season — an interesting one — to cover and recruiting, because this is one of those kinds of years, has been pretty quiet on the surface. Not behind the scenes, per se — not when you look at the size of the recruiting weekend coming ahead. A little quiet on the surface.

I don't think it's going to be quiet from here on out. Especially on defense. We'll get to the prospects in a minute. First, the talent debate.

+1 for a Gary Oldman in Leon the Professional reference. "Manny, bring me everyone."

"What do you mean, everyone?"

fTTBLia.gif

This is a great article as it isn't really just about recruiting prospects. Sam covers a lot, and makes some astute points about the first "big class" under new Husker coaches. He throws a surprising criticism towards Bo Pelini in "allowing some assistants to choose for him" a big class in 2008, preventing his 'regime change' class of 2009 from reaching the heights it could have.

This is an interesting storyline to follow. For better or for worse, turnover *should* follow a coaching change. Sometimes the fit just isn't there. And while the staff has more solid groundwork laid for the '17 class (in my opinion -- they've just been able to get at those guys earlier, while they were sophomores, a luxury not afforded for the '16 group)...there's some feeling among those who cover Nebraska that the "big class" is coming now:

twitter.png

I'm thinking back too, to last February, when Nebraska had a possibility of three more spots to fill in the class. They didn't get some of those guys, and stood pat. They also made moves over the summer, but haven't been *very* aggressive in turnover. I guess we'll find out what happens next.

More things that caught my interest:

* Only three OTs on scholarship after this year? Makes for some real urgency there.

* Sam hits on lack of trust in most of the current safeties, with freshman Aaron William's PT as evidence. I remember being surprised when they (coaches) mentioned scouring for a JUCO DB over the summer. If there's one spot where fan preconceptions (including mine) and coaches' views have seemed especially different -- fair or not -- it's been at defensive back.

So, all that aside, there is a lot more in this article about all the specific recruits & recruiting prospects for the '16 class. Read it!

Good call on the summer interest in a JUCO DB. I remember criticizing the staff for that one since we had a Top 5 secondary last season with all but J Mitch returning. I, along with most here, thought why would you need another DB to jump in the rotation? I was wrong. Guess they realized early there system is majorly flawed (124 of 125 in pass defense) without NFL-level DBs.

With that said, I still think we have a talent secondary, but the staff needs to have a better scheme to fit it. Playing off-man with no pass rush and no deception pre-snap gives the QB too easy of a read.

Good call on the summer interest in a JUCO DB. I remember criticizing the staff for that one since we had a Top 5 secondary last season with all but J Mitch returning. I, along with most here, thought why would you need another DB to jump in the rotation? I was wrong. Guess they realized early there system is majorly flawed (124 of 125 in pass defense) without NFL-level DBs.

With that said, I still think we have a talent secondary, but the staff needs to have a better scheme to fit it. Playing off-man with no pass rush and no deception pre-snap gives the QB too easy of a read.

No doubt, TTRR. Somewhere between scheme and fit, it's been really disappointing. I understand this wasn't a group that was automatically going to play at a high level, but we have much weaker position groups like LB that are overcoming a worse situation, in the same defense.

With playing off-man, I think any defense is at its best when it can do both. And hindered when it can't. Remember when 'Fonz missed the early part of 2011, and suddenly we had no corners who were experienced enough or had the makeup to play bump and run? It was a real cause for concern.

Eventually, the Huskers got future NFL 2nd round pick SJB. Mitchell was also never one to back down. It's possible that we're once again left without the BnR option at CB (or perhaps a mistaken lack of a trust in our guys to do it). Sure hope that pair of redshirting freshmen will provide a remedy. Wouldn't be too sorry to see another DB coach get a crack at teaching them.