Nebraska AD invites Steve Spurrier to attend the MSU vs. NEB, he accepts.

Dansker

Not sure if this is just two friends hanging out or what but I found this interesting to say the least.

Steve Spurrier has never been to Memorial Stadium for a game.

That will change Saturday night, thanks to his close relationship with Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst.
After the 70-year-old Spurrier stepped down as South Carolina's head coach Oct. 13, Eichorst immediately invited the ol' ball coach to Lincoln for a game.
Spurrier arrived Friday.

Link

Pretty cool that Spurrier is taking the time to come out to our game

That is awesome. I remember seeing him on the sidelines facing the 95 Huskers. Even when his team had a lead, his body language, his facial expressions all looked like a guy who was worried and knew he was about to get curb stomped. He's a good coach and a guy who evolved over the years in today's game. It's a shame he had to step down at South Carolina but it is what it is.

• Fire 1

The Ol' Ball Coach in a Husker jacket. Hell yes!

Don't like him when we are playing against him, but the man knows his football. He knows talent too.

I heard on the radio he's doing some consulting? Meaning he might be here to watch the team and kind of help examine who, where, and how we could get better?

I'm just throwing out what I heard and what he could possibly be doing here. Can't say I know for sure.

Welcome to Big Red Nation for the weekend Coach!

Just a little odd to me: the timing of this 'visit' is nothing short of terrible if you are Mike Riley (unless he and Mike Riley and Spurrier are good buddies and he is here to offer his support and positive commentary). I would think the rumors would be running wild that Spurrier is here to replace Riley. Why even let something like this get started. An explanation is certainly in order by the AD.

• Fire 1

The Old guy had his run.. Loved his teams back in the day and his earlier SC days but come on.. I think he may be having issues evaluating and recruiting talent in his old days.. He has been struggling with his Gamecocks and had to step down. They just couldn't get up to play or wasn't that good anymore.. Do we really need him and old nice guy Riley looking at our team and deciding who is good and who isn't?

Just a little odd to me: the timing of this 'visit' is nothing short of terrible if you are Mike Riley (unless he and Mike Riley and Spurrier are good buddies and he is here to offer his support and positive commentary). I would think the rumors would be running wild that Spurrier is here to replace Riley. Why even let something like this get started. An explanation is certainly in order by the AD.

Eichorst was at South Carolina as an Assistant AD when Spurrier was hired there. They have a relationship. They are probably friends. Spurrier is probably in town to watch a football game. Nothing more than that.

• Fire 2

Spurrier is definitely a guy who has a track record of putting teams on the map and rebuilding. He did it at Florida and South Carolina. What it means for Nebraska, I don't know. I too heard the consulting thing but there could be more to it. I think it's cool that he'll be there for the game.

Eichorst was at South Carolina as an Assistant AD when Spurrier was hired there. They have a relationship. They are probably friends. Spurrier is probably in town to watch a football game. Nothing more than that.

You might be right but from what I'm hearing is he is there to observe our team and possibly consult with us. Doesn't hurt to have a guy with his experience doing such a thing but if true, ideally wouldn't you want Osborne to be the consultant?