Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2017

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a reasonable statement on its face, but it's very misguided about how recruiting at NU needs to work. Nebraska HAS to be a program that can identify and develop potential. Going after "championship caliber" recruits means trying to beat Alabama, OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, et al. at their own game. And that's just not going to happen consistently.

How many of those "championship caliber" guys are even identifiable in high school?

Picking up a 3 star California kid is not necessarily better than picking up a 2 star NE native who's got potential to grow.

They've all got potential to grow ... starting with more talent doesn't hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we get some additional in state guys lined up, but you'd be hard pressed to defend to me how a kid getting offers from SDSU, Minn and etc is somebody we should be hot on. On the flip side, the top tier instate recruits being pursued by other similar caliper programs have committed to UNL in the last year (Allen, Maypeiu, Bando) I think we're on the right track.

Nebraska kids have been, and always will be, pursued less than if they went to school in TX, CA or FL. It's the reality of opportunity cost for out of state coaches building relationships with NE coaches. We shouldn't look at a NE kid's list of offers as the best indicator of whether we should recruit them because it's quite likely that a "3 star" NE kid who is equal to or better than a "3 star" Ohio or FL or CA kid will never get an offer from OSU, UF or UCLA simply due to geography.

Nebraska kids have been, and always will be, pursued less than if they went to school in TX, CA or FL. It's the reality of opportunity cost for out of state coaches building relationships with NE coaches. We shouldn't look at a NE kid's list of offers as the best indicator of whether we should recruit them because it's quite likely that a "3 star" NE kid who is equal to or better than a "3 star" Ohio or FL or CA kid will never get an offer from OSU, UF or UCLA simply due to geography.

I will agree with you that looking at a kids offer list isn't probably the best indicator of whether we should pursue, but I guess I do think the recruiting list as one gets into their Sr. year is often indicative of skill set and overall potential a great deal of the time. If more than one program views films, visits and etc and puts value on a kid then there's usually something there. Solid athletes have proven that the programs will come to NE to view them (I'm thinking Allen and Jurgens most recently).

I think where we win with instate recruits, and it will take consistency and time (this staff is doing it right - establishing relationships with coaching staff through the state and etc) is to identify coachable kids early. To find diamonds in the rough that don't stand out on film to other teams, but are built well, have speed etc (Mapiue is an excellent example). Getting commitments as Juniors with these kids is great. The beauty of our program is 99% of kids raised in NE have dreamt about playing in Lincoln.

Can you help me out with why you think a 3 star athlete in OH has a better chance with a strong college than a 3 star NE kid?

I will agree with you that looking at a kids offer list isn't probably the best indicator of whether we should pursue, but I guess I do think the recruiting list as one gets into their Sr. year is often indicative of skill set and overall potential a great deal of the time. If more than one program views films, visits and etc and puts value on a kid then there's usually something there. Solid athletes have proven that the programs will come to NE to view them (I'm thinking Allen and Jurgens most recently).

I think where we win with instate recruits, and it will take consistency and time (this staff is doing it right - establishing relationships with coaching staff through the state and etc) is to identify coachable kids early. To find diamonds in the rough that don't stand out on film to other teams, but are built well, have speed etc (Mapiue is an excellent example). Getting commitments as Juniors with these kids is great. The beauty of our program is 99% of kids raised in NE have dreamt about playing in Lincoln.

Can you help me out with why you think a 3 star athlete in OH has a better chance with a strong college than a 3 star NE kid?

Because there are several mid-to-large D1 programs in Ohio and the surrounding area and every single one of those staffs have coaches with excellent, 10+ year long personal relationships with high school coaches in the area.

Here... it's Nebraska. No one has built those relationships here, really (except for Scott Frost and Craig Bohl? - well, and our staff, and we can't take everyone) and they aren't going to take the time to invest in the relationships here that produce minimal quantity of high school talent every year. We just don't produce at the same level numbers wise as states like Ohio, so D1 staffers have built relationships there that they haven't here.

This is not in any way a knock on the guys we're looking at/offered, but if the best players currently in the state are from Aurora, Beatrice, Ashland-Greenwood and Gretna, that's not speaking very highly of Class A ball in the state.

Last year the Huskers offered three in-state guys and only one of them played Class A.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that Gretna has to be knocking on the door for Class A just due to the housing boom out there.

What I heard from a teacher out there is that they don't have room to take on many more students. They would have to add more space and remodel or else build another school.

I would LOVE to see Lincoln and Omaha open more schools to get the (NSAA enrollment) numbers down to about 1000 per. It spreads out talent but it helps regulate the Class B disparage. Gretna/Columbus should never be playing Holdrege or Adams Central.

This is not in any way a knock on the guys we're looking at/offered, but if the best players currently in the state are from Aurora, Beatrice, Ashland-Greenwood and Gretna, that's not speaking very highly of Class A ball in the state.

Last year the Huskers offered three in-state guys and only one of them played Class A.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that Gretna has to be knocking on the door for Class A just due to the housing boom out there.

What I heard from a teacher out there is that they don't have room to take on many more students. They would have to add more space and remodel or else build another school.

I would LOVE to see Lincoln and Omaha open more schools to get the (NSAA enrollment) numbers down to about 1000 per. It spreads out talent but it helps regulate the Class B disparage. Gretna/Columbus should never be playing Holdrege or Adams Central.

Not sure how this fits in to this convo. But when I was playing peewee league ball in Olathe, Kansas we used to host teams from all over the Midwest sometimes. Now me being 20, this isn't super old or anything. However, I remember we used to play teams from Omaha & Lincoln, And to be fairly honest, I didn't realize and I don't mean to offend you all, but how bad some of those teams are. We used to straight crush some of those kids. I'm still very confident even to this day, you could take the Kansas winners from 4A, 5A, and 6A and play the title winners from Nebraska and it wouldn't even be close.

Which leads me to this. What has happened to the quality class A Nebraska football? Surely talent doesn't just disappear like that?

Iowa is going to offer Jack Begley according to RSS.

Barring a breakout year and us whiffing on others I'm not sure we offer. Did he even come to our camps?
Even though it's not going to happen, I'd like to see us give a shot to Patrick Arnold. My favorite of the rest of the un-offered bunch in the state.