Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2017

Swing and a miss by the staff, IMO. Be interested to see if they keep pursuing him.

Can't really call it a swing and a miss if the coaching staff never even offered, can you?

Should it be "caught looking" then?

We were caught looking, just like every other P5 school not named Minnesota.

I wish him luck with the Gophs 11 games a year.

And that makes it acceptable?

Kitrell is worth an offer to Nebraska. I love what the staff is doing on the coasts with the skill positions, but they can look to the interior to build up their O and D lines, especially with the apparent young depth at each.

Swing and a miss by the staff, IMO. Be interested to see if they keep pursuing him.

Can't really call it a swing and a miss if the coaching staff never even offered, can you?

And that makes it acceptable?

Kitrell is worth an offer to Nebraska. I love what the staff is doing on the coasts with the skill positions, but they can look to the interior to build up their O and D lines, especially with the apparent young depth at each.

He's worth an offer in your opinion. I agree with the staffs approach so far. Kid hasn't played a down since a major knee injury. If he wishes to commit 7 months before signing day so be it. We could see his knee in football action and see where we are at with bigger names and go from there.
  • Fire 1

Yeah, for as much as I don't want to let top in-state guys get away - especially to conference opponents - this is a different situation. I really thought he would get an offer after the coaches saw him this summer. But I don't blame them for (possibly) wanting to see him in some game action first. If he didn't want to wait for that, that's his choice.

We seem to get bent out of shape becuase we don't offer kids before minnesota, iowa, wyoming, north dakota st, etc....

so the question is are we disappointed when we have kids leave Nebraska to go to schools that we are striving to be better then?

With scholarship limitations - not sure that we can do things much differently then we are currently.

I'll say it again, if we wait to offer every D1 qualifying NE athelete until after other D1 "powerhouses" offer, we'll sign very few Nebraska kids in the future.

Not because we don't have quality athletes, but because the powerhouses don't waste their time evaluating and developing relationships in NE.

We seem to get bent out of shape becuase we don't offer kids before minnesota, iowa, wyoming, north dakota st, etc....

so the question is are we disappointed when we have kids leave Nebraska to go to schools that we are striving to be better then?

With scholarship limitations - not sure that we can do things much differently then we are currently.

'll say it again, if we wait to offer every D1 qualifying NE athelete until after other D1 "powerhouses" offer, we'll sign very few Nebraska kids in the future.

Not because we don't have quality athletes, but because the powerhouses don't waste their time evaluating and developing relationships in NE.

At the very least, we should be actively recruiting NE kids like this with the explanation that an offer may be forthcoming as the year plays out.

A lot depends on the narrative people are trying to push and how things work out.

The details are different but the general idea would be pretty similar to Drew Ott. Kittrel trades "played in Class D" for "injured his junior year" but it's a guy who's right on the line of getting an offer but doesn't get one and goes elsewhere. If he turns into a solid contributor, there will be much hand-wringing. If not, he'll be forgotten. Harrison Phillips was a different set of circumstances (did get an offer but chose to go elsewhere without the extenuating circumstances) but it's just tough to know ahead of time, especially for guys playing lower-level high school football.

There was a narrative that the previous staff wasn't giving enough of a look to in-state kids. There was much talk when the new staff was hired that they'd do a better job recruiting in state and even articles written about it. But it really hasn't turned out to be the case.

Not that I think they're doing anything wrong. If you look at the last 10 to 15 years, the state really only produces an average of 2-3 legit Power 5 players per year. That's pretty much how many in-state kids the previous staff took. Last year we were after the top three but only got one then grabbed a second late. If you count Bando as an in-state guy, we have the top two for this year and Kitrell was the third guy who was on the fence. We already have the top two for next year.

But I think characterizing it as "well, if they go to Minnesota or Iowa, that's not a big deal because we want to be better than them" is mis-characterizing the debate. We would obviously have loved to have Ott. We were after Fant really hard and it would have been great to have them. Just because they went to Iowa doesn't make them less desirable.

But you're right that we can only take so many.

• Fire 2

'll say it again, if we wait to offer every D1 qualifying NE athelete until after other D1 "powerhouses" offer, we'll sign very few Nebraska kids in the future.

At the very least, we should be actively recruiting NE kids like this with the explanation that an offer may be forthcoming as the year plays out.

How do you know we didn't handle the Kitrell situation like that?
  • Fire 2

Who are these powerhouses?

I hope you don't consider these teams:

minnesota, iowa, wyoming, north dakota st, etc....

I can't think of many exceptions of Nebraska kids that have been offered by other schools that are true "powerhouses" besides maybe one or two by ucla and/or Arizona st.

A lot depends on the narrative people are trying to push and how things work out.

The details are different but the general idea would be pretty similar to Drew Ott. Kittrel trades "played in Class D" for "injured his junior year" but it's a guy who's right on the line of getting an offer but doesn't get one and goes elsewhere. If he turns into a solid contributor, there will be much hand-wringing. If not, he'll be forgotten. Harrison Phillips was a different set of circumstances (did get an offer but chose to go elsewhere without the extenuating circumstances) but it's just tough to know ahead of time, especially for guys playing lower-level high school football.

There was a narrative that the previous staff wasn't giving enough of a look to in-state kids. There was much talk when the new staff was hired that they'd do a better job recruiting in state and even articles written about it. But it really hasn't turned out to be the case.

Not that I think they're doing anything wrong. If you look at the last 10 to 15 years, the state really only produces an average of 2-3 legit Power 5 players per year. That's pretty much how many in-state kids the previous staff took. Last year we were after the top three but only got one then grabbed a second late. If you count Bando as an in-state guy, we have the top two for this year and Kitrell was the third guy who was on the fence. We already have the top two for next year.

But I think characterizing it as "well, if they go to Minnesota or Iowa, that's not a big deal because we want to be better than them" is mis-characterizing the debate. We would obviously have loved to have Ott. We were after Fant really hard and it would have been great to have them. Just because they went to Iowa doesn't make them less desirable.

But you're right that we can only take so many.

Everything you are saying makes complete sense and my goal wasn't to come across like that makes these kids lesser - just saying it wasn't the top 10 teams in the country courting these kids. I think our staff has a process before offering kids and I feel the Nebraska kids should be accelerated thru this program, however if these kids really bleed NU they should show some patience.

We are going to lose kids from NU for multiple reasons:

1) staff hasn't been here long so some schools boarding Nebraska have had a chance to build deeper relationships then MR - this factor will disappear in the next 2 classes

2) some kids use football as away to leave Nebraska - not saying the grass is greener in Iowa or Minnesota, however some see it as accomplishment to get courted by outsiders

3) these kids did not grow up seeing NU dominate - so they may not have the same dreams from day one as the kids in the 80's, 90's and early 00's

4) not every program runs the same scheme - so some kids are going to fit better next door.

I'll say it again, if we wait to offer every D1 qualifying NE athelete until after other D1 "powerhouses" offer, we'll sign very few Nebraska kids in the future.

Is anyone saying that we need to wait for "powerhouses" to offer first? I don't think so, but feel free to point that out to me. AFAIK, we were the 1st P5 offer for Austin Allen, so the staff isn't thinking that way either.

If the staff thinks he's good enough at this point, then offer. They have seen him first hand and talked to him, his family, and coaches, so obviously they don't see him worthy of an offer at this point in time.

• Fire 1