College Football Playoffs Legit or a scam?

Nebhawk

Eye Test. I have watched Notre Dame play against Temple, Pitt, and Clemson this season. I have watched multiple other teams play in each conference this season. Notre Dame wouldn't compete, week in, week out in any power 5 conference. They are not a great pass defense team, and do allow some chunks in the run game. Thats my eye test. Isn't the eye test based on what you see thru out a season? Clemson blew out Notre Dame. Clemson played not to lose football in the 4th quarter and it almost cost them. Eye chuckleshuffle watched the game.

I don't think it is a scam, but wonder about its future going forward. I agree with those who say 8 teams. This is the fairest model. Make all power 5 conferences play a title game and then take those 5 automatically. 3 at-large.

Can't tell about this year yet, but watching it unfold last year, I was convinced that a panel of college football experts were watching the teams and games very carefully, and making sound qualitative judgements about the best and most deserving teams for the first college football playoffs.

I thought they got it as right as a 4 team playoff would allow.

Enough that I don't think we need a larger format.

but we know, it won't be that way year in and year out.

True.

And we also know it's impossible to avoid arguments and controversy regardless of the system in place.

Sports!

• Fire 1

The current system is worlds better than the BCS ever was. Granted the computer system takes the emotion out of it and the committee adds the eye test to the equation.

As far as certain teams being at a disadvantage (ND and Big 12) that is kind of on them. ND decided their independence was more important than positioning themselves for the future. And the Big 12 left TCU and Baylor in the cold last year by not crowing one true champ as their motto claims. After being left out, they did't do much about it in the offseason.

Worlds better? My thoughts playoff committee is pretty much equal to BCS.

• Fire 1

Allowing voters to determine who's in and who's out based on unknown and differing measurements is a scam. Can you imagine the NFL having voters choose which teams go to the playoffs?

In my opinion, the FCS does it better. Play a little bit shorter season and then have a real playoff to determine the champion on the field.

Allowing voters to determine who's in and who's out based on unknown and differing measurements is a scam. Can you imagine the NFL having voters choose which teams go to the playoffs?

In my opinion, the FCS does it better. Play a little bit shorter season and then have a real playoff to determine the champion on the field.

You realize that half the FCS playoff field is determined by a committee, right?

To think we are 4-6 and Iowa is undefeated and ranked 5th............... That's a kick in the nutz

Ya but Iowa's schedule is a complete joke. They're only quality wins are against Wisconsin and Northwestern.

They rarely play a quality Power 5 team in there nonconference game and I don't care what they say about Iowa State......it's Iowa State for God sakes. For instance 2016: Miami (OH), North Dakota State and ISU, 2017: Wyoming, ISU and Texas State.

Fun stat about Iowa's B1G schedule compared to Nebraska: Since joining the B1G, we have played OSU, MSU, WIS, and PSU more than Iowa has.

Looking at the newest rankings and looking at message boards on various sites has me confused.

Consider the fact that Iowa's biggest games this season will be the narrow win vs Wisky and when they come to Memorial stadium in two weeks. They are #5.

Consider Notre Dame, an Independent, ranked where they are, and the schedule they have left. Remember the Big 12 was left out last year because of a lack of Conference title game. Is the committee setting up Notre Dame with the same arguement this season. Is the playoff committee going to make a point to not let Notre Dame in when its all said an done this season?

I think this is how its going to play out on most ends. Clemson will get in. Alabama/Florida winner will get in for the SEC. If Ohio St and Iowa go into the BIg 10 Champ game both Undefeated, the winner will go.

That leaves Notre Dame and the BIg 12 champ. If a Big 12 team remains undefeated, they will get in this year. IF the BIg 12 champ is OU with only 1 loss, they will get in based on strength of schedule.

What is the thoughts on this Playoff system for this year?

I don't think it's a scam nor do I think they, as a group, have an agenda. It's 12 different people with 12 different opinions with one stated goal: to rank the best teams. And apparently, best teams does not always mean most deserving teams. I dont think an undefeated Big 12 champ will get left out in favor of a one loss team even if it's Bama. The top B12 teams have played weak schedules so it's hard to determine how good they are . I mean, chances are that every top 25 team would be undefeated playing Baylor's schedule to date. But the ranked B12 are going to play each other and if any wins out undefeated, I think the winner will and should crack the top 4. Last year the B12 had no undefeated teams. I don't think it's a scam but regardless of what they call it, it's STILL a poll. It's just a poll of 12 hand picked people. I think they should have stayed with the BCS way of ranking and just expanded the number of teams to 4 or better yet, 8.

Put ND in any conference and this year they lose at least 2-3 games. Big 10, they would get beat by OSU,Michigan, and more than likely Michigan ST.

Big 12, they would lose at least 2 or 3. SEC, 3 or 4.

Thats an eye test, if we need one.

So you're saying Clemson sucks, then? Notre Dame isn't the #1 team in the country because they had a last second play, in the rain, not go their way. But if they were in the B1G they'd just get sh#t on right?

I think the playoff system is way better than the BCS system. I also think the teams that got in last year deserved it over Baylor and TCU. Plain and simple, if you're not going to have a conference championship then don't have such weak out of conference games.

The only question I have, like others do is Iowa at #5. Sure they're undefeated, but their non-conference schedule is just as bad if not worse than Baylor or Oklahoma St. Personally I think Ok St. should be ahead of the Hawkeyes.

It'll all get sorted out at the end of the year though, so no reason to fuss about it now. Remember, the initial rankings last year had Auburn, Ole Miss and Mississippi in the top 4.

I think they should expand it to 8 teams though.

I get tired of people saying teams' schedules are a joke. It's hard to go undefeated, period. (I'm not counting teams that don't play power 5 teams).

If Iowa goes undefeated they will have beaten the defending national champion. That should be good enough to go to the playoff.

They're not going to be undefeated going into that game, though.

No matter what system is in place people will complain. The only thing to stop the complaining is to drop rankings all together, and just make conference champions automatically enter the playoffs. The 6th spot being left open for the BCS buster type teams.

Then it becomes like the NFL.

I don't like that way, but it's the only way to ever cut out "bias"​