College Football Playoffs Legit or a scam?

Nebhawk

I really want to see an 8 team playoff soon with:

5 power five conference champions

3 wildcards

no more than 2 teams from same conference in playoff

^^I like this idea.

But even the way it is now is better than what we had before. A playoff with the top four teams ensures that the best two teams in the nation will have a shot. The way it was before we'd almost always have an over inflated SEC team in the MNC game along with whatever other Power FIve conf team had run the table. It sometimes didn't seem like the matchup of the best two in the nation.

I really want to see an 8 team playoff soon with:

5 power five conference champions

3 wildcards

no more than 2 teams from same conference in playoff

I like this. All power 5 conference champs should be in the playoffs. The wildcard slots allow for the occasional Boise St.'s that rise to the top to have their shot at a title. It also allows Notre Dame into the playoffs, not that I really care about them.

I'm not so sure about only two teams from the same conference. I think I get why you put it in but what happens if a conference legitimately has 3 contenders? Is it all that unusual to find 3 teams from one conference in the top 10? (I'm not sure on that, I never really paid attention to how often it happens.) The one thing we don't want in any playoff system is controversy about who got in and who didn't. As far as it's possible we need to make sure that only the very best teams get in each year.

If anyone thinks that adding more teams to the mix will stem the controversies over who got in and who was left out, I present to you the NCAA college basketball tournament and its 64 team bracket...

Except that after about 2 hours the whining from the 65th and 66th teams die down or are ignored. A year later people still argue about the 5th team. Make it 8 teams, and it'll take a month or two for the complaining from the 9th team to go away. And so on.

• Fire 1

What happens if we beat Iowa, and they beat OSU. Would that knock the B1G out ? If Baylor or Okl St wins out, they have to be in. Then does it come down to, Iowa or ND, if ND wins out ? Okla wins out, then you have a real problem , for the committee. They will all have lost one game.

GBR!!!

Notre Dame would definitely be in. Their loss was to the #1 team and they will have beaten Stanford. Iowa's loss would be to a 4-7 or 5-6 team. I don't see much controversy there. Beating Ohio State would be impressive but although they are defending champions they haven't looked stellar this season. (But you could say that for last season too before their game against Wisconsin).

The current system is worlds better than the BCS ever was. Granted the computer system takes the emotion out of it and the committee adds the eye test to the equation.

As far as certain teams being at a disadvantage (ND and Big 12) that is kind of on them. ND decided their independence was more important than positioning themselves for the future. And the Big 12 left TCU and Baylor in the cold last year by not crowing one true champ as their motto claims. After being left out, they did't do much about it in the offseason.

Worlds better? My thoughts playoff committee is pretty much equal to BCS.

The same system that gave us a Bama vs LSU rematch instead of better record/conference champion Okie State vs LSU is equal to a 4 team playoff that saw the #4 team ascend to the #1 spot with it's 3rd string QB?

Not seeing it.

• Fire 1

Put ND in any conference and this year they lose at least 2-3 games. Big 10, they would get beat by OSU,Michigan, and more than likely Michigan ST.

Big 12, they would lose at least 2 or 3. SEC, 3 or 4.

Thats an eye test, if we need one.

ND plays 6 games a year now vs ACC. That is only 2 less than a "normal" conference member. On top of that, they will play 3 additional P5 teams. And they have beat the #20 and #22 team in the country. Their only loss is to the #1 team.

Now I agree that if the CFP committee is being fair, ND should be held to the same standard as TCU and BYU last year, but lets not act like ND is Boise St or some other undefeated non P5 school.

NCAA needs to impose a rule: With the exception of service academies, teams who are not in a conference are ineligible for a playoff spot. It will take ND all of 5 seconds to join a conference.

I also think there should be no limit that a conference has to have 12 teams for a title game. 10 is plenty.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but why are we complaining about the playoffs?

I love the Playoff. January 1st was one of the best days to watch college football I ever had in my life (Generally speaking, would take gameday here in Lincoln over it, of course).

And, while we bitch and moan about rankings now, seems like they got it right when it mattered last year.

They could have left OSU out and put Baylor in. OSU ends up winning it all as a 4 seed. Baylor lost to MSU.

Let the season play out. I have a feeling ND will lose, and so will all these other teams (Iowa... to you know who), because it's college football. There's still tons of football to be played.

Rankings this time last year:

1. Miss St.

2. FSU

3. Auburn

4. Oregon

5. Alabama

NCAA needs to impose a rule: With the exception of service academies, teams who are not in a conference are ineligible for a playoff spot. It will take ND all of 5 seconds to join a conference.

I also think there should be no limit that a conference has to have 12 teams for a title game. 10 is plenty.

I think it was a rule made by the fact a title game is unecessary if 10 teams already play a 9 game round robin. It's the Big 12's fault for botching that concept so badly.

But yeah, if they are dead set at 10 and want to implement a title game, let them. Split your 5 and 5 divisions and carry on Big 12. Nevermind the fact that all the other leagues will eventually rip you apart.

Looking at the newest rankings and looking at message boards on various sites has me confused.

Consider the fact that Iowa's biggest games this season will be the narrow win vs Wisky and when they come to Memorial stadium in two weeks. They are #5.

Consider Notre Dame, an Independent, ranked where they are, and the schedule they have left. Remember the Big 12 was left out last year because of a lack of Conference title game. Is the committee setting up Notre Dame with the same arguement this season. Is the playoff committee going to make a point to not let Notre Dame in when its all said an done this season?

I think this is how its going to play out on most ends. Clemson will get in. Alabama/Florida winner will get in for the SEC. If Ohio St and Iowa go into the BIg 10 Champ game both Undefeated, the winner will go.

That leaves Notre Dame and the BIg 12 champ. If a Big 12 team remains undefeated, they will get in this year. IF the BIg 12 champ is OU with only 1 loss, they will get in based on strength of schedule.

What is the thoughts on this Playoff system for this year?

Everyone has an opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours. I see no conspiracy.

Iowa's resume at this point is better than Ohio St. They have beat a 2 loss NW, 2 loss Wisconsin, and a 3 loss Pitt. None of them are great teams but they are all good teams.

Clemson is getting a lot of credit for beating ND at home and beating a FSU team that IMO is a little over rated. So I guess my opinion differs from yours.

The current system is worlds better than the BCS ever was. Granted the computer system takes the emotion out of it and the committee adds the eye test to the equation.

As far as certain teams being at a disadvantage (ND and Big 12) that is kind of on them. ND decided their independence was more important than positioning themselves for the future. And the Big 12 left TCU and Baylor in the cold last year by not crowing one true champ as their motto claims. After being left out, they did't do much about it in the offseason.

Worlds better? My thoughts playoff committee is pretty much equal to BCS.

What planet are you from? With BCS FSU or Alabama would have won the NC this year, and they didn't get past the semifinals.

• Fire 4