***Official Rutgers Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

I have said several times in this thread that I liked the play calling at the end of the half. We had all of the momentum and TA was hot. He threw a bad pass and overthrew a wide open WR. I would rather go for the kill than play scared with just under three minutes left in the half.

The ground game is no less going for the kill than the passing game....and may be more so. Honestly, I'd think you'd know that.

I have said several times in this thread that I liked the play calling at the end of the half. We had all of the momentum and TA was hot. He threw a bad pass and overthrew a wide open WR. I would rather go for the kill than play scared with just under three minutes left in the half.

The ground game is no less going for the kill than the passing game....and may be more so. Honestly, I'd think you'd know that.

Not with how well we were passing it at the time and where we were on the field. Passing was the right call at the time.

You know it! Especially with a turnover prone QB. Sometimes TA is worse when things are going well. He gets over confident.

They don't have to if the playcalling is there. Playcalling is an art--you call plays to set up other plays in a chain of events down the road, and if you can keep a defense on their heels.

It's not unlike the Checkers/Chess criticism of Solich vs. Osborne from years past. Langsdorf sometimes plays Chess...but then seems to get tiredhead and tries to play checkers, with little to no success.

Except you wouldn't ask Van Gogh to go sculpt you a masterpiece or commission John Lennon to write you an amazing play. It's an art form with which they're unfamiliar.

In the same vein, why should we expect for Langs to suddenly Lebanon the run and try to run his offense through that? He's never, ever operated that way. Balance, yes, he looks for that, but he looks to make plays in the passing game to set up other passing plays and running plays as well. He'll probably never be a run-first OC. Perhaps moreso in the future if we get the correct personnel in place. While I never see this staff using a power running offense, hopefully they will utilize it situationally and against lesser competition to bully them.

He does set up plays, just not always the ones you, I, or other Husker fans would choose first and foremost. But his offense on the whole, has been pretty damn effective.

You know it! Especially with a turnover prone QB. Sometimes TA is worse when things are going well. He gets over confident.

At least we'll have something to argue about the next two weeks. There for a while it looked like that wouldn't happen.