Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

The way I read it sounds like there is another person involved and not the the 3 named.

The suspect has not been named by police, and no arrests have been made.

The woman told police she knows the suspect, and police spokeswoman Katie Flood said that person has been contacted.

Armstrong told the Omaha World-Herald that police came to his home to interview him, roommate wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp and another teammate, tight end Trey Foster.

He said that after the three players spoke to police, the police said, "you guys should be fine."

I don't know why that person said that," Armstrong said about the accuser. "We're confused about the whole situation. From what we're hearing, everything was consensual."

that last statement gets me thinking that he talked to the person she is accusing and he said it was consensual.

First. They are not besmirching anybody's name. They paper reported that somebody reported a crime that took place at Armstrong's and Westerkamp's house. That is a fact. Somebody did report that.

You want the papers to not report alleged criminals until a "court decides guilt". Do you know how impractical and against public policy that is? You want news to refrain from reporting OJ Simpson is a murder suspect until the guilty verdict? So, in your mind, Jamies Winston, Big Ben, Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis, etc. should not have made the news at all because there was no guilty verdict?

Maybe you are right in theory, but that will literally never happen.

What benefit is there to reporting the man's name, other than selling newspapers?

Because the public has the right to know who is being charged with a crime. That is why court documents, even complaints (ie the allegation) are public records. Any average joe can get a hold of it.

The public has an equal right to know who is accusing someone of a crime. Try again.

Really don't like that Armstrong is talking to a newspaper and implying that the accuser is lying.

Girls don't lie??? That's a new one. Ever heard of a little situation that happened at Duke a few years back?

What a f'ing idiotic post.

Of course she could be lying, and I didn't say anything to the contrary. That doesn't mean Armstrong should imply she's lying, especially not to a damned newspaper reporter. He's likely going off the word of the accused. He doesn't know which of them is telling the truth.

The way I read it sounds like there is another person involved and not the the 3 named.

The woman told police she knows the suspect, and police spokeswoman Katie Flood said that person has been contacted.

Armstrong told the Omaha World-Herald that police came to his home to interview him, roommate wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp and another teammate, tight end Trey Foster.

He said that after the three players spoke to police, the police said, "you guys should be fine."

I don't know why that person said that," Armstrong said about the accuser. "We're confused about the whole situation. From what we're hearing, everything was consensual."

that last statement gets me thinking that he talked to the person she is accusing and he said it was consensual.

That sums up my thoughts. And again, he's an idiot for talking to a newspaper reporter and more of an idiot for saying he thinks it was consensual. He's writing off what may have happened to the girl without knowing anything other than what someone told him, and doing so to a newspaper reporter.

Still early, but this sounds very similar to an incident that happened last off-season involving NFL players Colin Kaepernick, Quenton Patton and Ricardo Lockette, who were in a Miami apartment when something unsavory went down and a woman ended up in the hospital. TMZ and others were all over it, but I'll bet you forgot about it already.

Really don't like that Armstrong is talking to a newspaper and implying that the accuser is lying.

Girls don't lie??? That's a new one. Ever heard of a little situation that happened at Duke a few years back?

Of course she could be lying, and I didn't say anything to the contrary. That doesn't mean Armstrong should imply she's lying, especially not to a damned newspaper reporter. He's likely going off the word of the accused. He doesn't know which of them is telling the truth.

How is only knowing the accused's side of the story and telling that to a reporter, insinuating the girl is lying?

The positive I can see from talking is to remove any questions about player involvement. What would the talk be if we only had the headline, "Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong and Westerkamp's House"? This place would be lighting up even worse with speculation.

I'm guessing that was what was on Armstrong's mind :P

Haha, do you get the point though? It would be ESPN Breaking News, and a huge distraction. I would love for the Lincoln PD to come out with a statement that no Husker players are suspects.

Not trying to downplay the situation. If an assault did occur, I hope whoever is responsible is punished severely.

They did just mention the rape investigation on the Ticket Ticker on Dallas Sports Radio 1310 AM The Ticket.

+1 for being a P1

This.

If it's a he said, she said situation, TA just corroborated the "he" version of events for the court of public opinion. Who, with the same clout can/will publicly corroborate the "she" version?

That sums up my thoughts. And again, he's an idiot for talking to a newspaper reporter and more of an idiot for saying he thinks it was consensual. He's writing off what may have happened to the girl without knowing anything other than what someone told him, and doing so to a newspaper reporter.

Where did he say he thinks it was consensual?

So, we have one side coming out and saying she was raped. Someone who probably talked to the accused came out and said..."What we are hearing is that it was consensual". Which, implies that he really doesn't know but that is what he was told.

I fail to see where this is something horribly wrong against the victim. Now, one can criticize the possible bad PR being in the position he is in on the team. But, to make the comment he did? Meh....not as big of deal as you are making it out to be.

How is only knowing the accused's side of the story and telling that to a reporter, insinuating the girl is lying?

It's insinuating she's lying because that isn't all he's heard. He was a) interviewed by the police and therefore knows she filed charges and b) may know that she went to the hospital.

So he knows the girl says she was raped. That's part of what he's heard. But he chose to say "From what we're hearing it was consensual." So he's writing off anything that she's said.

The main takeaway from this is don't talk to news reporters about rape allegations.

It's insinuating she's lying because that isn't all he's heard. He was a) interviewed by the police and therefore knows she filed charges and b) may know that she went to the hospital.

So he knows the girl says she was raped. That's part of what he's heard. But he chose to say "From what we're hearing it was consensual." So he's writing off anything that she's said.

The main takeaway from this is don't talk to news reporters about rape allegations.

But "what he's heard" likely came from the source, the accused. I highly doubt he's heard anything from the alleged victim.

Who cares what he said? Really, we know very, very little about this.

But the worst interpretation of "from what we're hearing, it was consensual" is that the accused is a friend of his and he chooses to believe his friend. That's pretty much how friendship works. I'd believe what my friend said on the matter too until I saw proof to the contrary.

• Fire 2

Not deliberately, but yes, it could be construed that what he is inadvertently doing