Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

If you are too drunk to consent it is rape.

I'll bet this is an issue every weekend at every college in America. Drunk girl sleeps with drunk guy. Hung over girl regrets her decision in the morning. In 99.9% of the cases she simply makes the walk of shame back to her dorm room. But 0.1% of the time she blames the guy and accuses him of rape. Was it rape? I dunno. Maybe yes, maybe no. It would depend on the facts. It would be a tough call if she was drunk and seemingly gave consent, but then later it turned out she was too drunk to remember what happened. (Was she too drunk to give consent?)

I'm not saying this is what happened. But I suspect this scene plays out quite often on every college campus in the land.

It does.

The vast majority of them are never charged. It requires the guy to say something really stupid. Like I don't know what happened or I was black out myself or sleep walking. If the accuser then says she remembers refusing you are DOA.

Rape kits are always done. However those are very misleading, as normal intercourse always leads to some vaginal tearing according to the Scandinavian sexual research institute.

Rape kits are only really useful when the offender is unknown or a denial that the sex happened.

Usually most paper thin sexual assaults just lead to a good once over questioning of the alleged perp and filed under not enough to charge.

Absent bruising significant tearing etc.

However I have worked in Iowa City in this area and yes, this happens numerous times every weekend.

The vast majority like 99.9% are never reported and not an actual offense. Boyfriend girlfriend two people out on a date, usually never reported or charged.

Where you see this reported is some guy finding a woman passed out at a party usually a total stranger or someone who has tried to get with them prior that they have turned down.

Edit: Read some of Elfs comments <face-palm> liked Moirannes response and others. False rape allegations generally do not happen and if they do they usually dissolve quickly claiming rape is still taboo in our society and the victims are put through a lot of scrutiny and embarrassment.

They do seem to happen more frequently when a sports star is involved. Anyone remember the 03' season when KState was playing in a BCS Bowl? A woman claimed to be sexually assaulted by El Roberson only to get him suspended from half the game. Then, as soon as the game was over she dropped the charges. Or, how about the Eagle, CO deal involving Kobe Bryant where the one claiming rape had three different semen specimens found in her underwear.

We've got a pretty big game coming up. I'm not implying anything here, but high profile players do tend to make great targets.

I equate those to more of extortion, I had a client once charged with extortion, went to jury trial similar facts give me X or I will say you raped me.

Again false accusations generally dont make it to the point of a trial information or a complaint being filed. Usually sniffed out by the police.

Hello Husker Nacione, back again. So what's the latest on this allegation...anybody?

no one on here knows anything .the rest is all WAG.

A'ight. TA and Westy watching the last few games from jail would not be cool, suffice it to say.

Pretty sure that's not going to happen. :)

Well, at least not over this incident.

Um, sooo, how long does it take them to say who-dun-it? I would think it'd be pretty straight forward, but then again...The System.

why should they waste any time with an investigation? allegations are enough to prosecute and there is no need for any evidence? The system

Can be like that, yeah.

This isnt some simple shop lifting or a DUI. Talking anywhere from a 2 Felony to a 3 felony so up to a 1 to 50 years in prison sex offender registry. The judge is free to do a 50 to 50 meaning you would serve around 25 years before release...

These types of charges have to be carefully investigated before any action is taken.

I'll bet this is an issue every weekend at every college in America. Drunk girl sleeps with drunk guy. Hungover girl regrets her decision in the morning. In 99.9% of the cases she simply makes the walk of shame back to her dorm room. But 0.1% of the time she blames the guy and accuses him of rape. Was it rape? I dunno. Maybe yes, maybe no. It would depend on the facts. It would be a tough call if she was drunk and seemingly gave consent, but then later it turned out she was too drunk to remember what happened. (Was she too drunk to give consent?)

I'm not saying this is what happened. But I suspect this scene plays out quite often on every college campus in the land.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. If you go to a party and purposely drink a large quantity you know will make your decision process questionable, there will be consequences. Everybody understands this concept.

What those consequences are is where the line gets blurry. If you have a tendency to engage in a sexual manner with strangers during a bender, maybe don't go somewhere unfamiliar?

I'll bet this is an issue every weekend at every college in America. Drunk girl sleeps with drunk guy. Hungover girl regrets her decision in the morning. In 99.9% of the cases she simply makes the walk of shame back to her dorm room. But 0.1% of the time she blames the guy and accuses him of rape. Was it rape? I dunno. Maybe yes, maybe no. It would depend on the facts. It would be a tough call if she was drunk and seemingly gave consent, but then later it turned out she was too drunk to remember what happened. (Was she too drunk to give consent?)

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. If you go to a party and purposely drink a large quantity you know will make your decision process questionable, there will be consequences. Everybody understands this concept.

What those consequences are is where the line gets blurry. If you have a tendency to engage in a sexual manner with strangers during a bender, maybe don't go somewhere unfamiliar?

By too drunk to consent I am not meaning what you are talking about a girl who has a drink and gets frisky. I am talking about like the case I linked, a girl has some drinks makes out with a guy tells him to stop he doesn't rape.

Girl is passed out, or not functioning as an awake person, rape.

The bottom line is there is not litmus test for too drunk to consent it is a question ultimately for a jury to decide. However there are clear cases where the person says no or is passed out or is drugged against there will.

Sex offenders are predators and seek out these type of females. The buyer's regret argument does not happen often if ever. If that is the case it will be exposed prior to trial in depositions if not discovered sooner by law enforcement, hospital staff etc... Those cases never get filed, by competent law enforcement.

It's something that happens at every college and university. Girl goes to a party, gets black out drunk, hooks up with guy. Next day, regrets it/doesn't remember it. It's how the girl handles it that matters. Does she chalk it up to yhe tequila shooters and cut her losses? Does she contact the guy to see what happened? Or does she just see them as a cashgrab and figures suing student athletes is an easy money gig?

Nobody ever finds out the truth in those scenarios, regardless of the outcome. It's up to the girl to not put herself in that situation and it is up to the guy to understand what the consequences are going to be of he proceeds.

Now, in the cases of a drugged girl, passed out girl, or girl who has sexual interaction forced upon her....that is not a gray area. That is the "Enjoy your new cellmate" area.

It's something that happens at every college and university. Girl goes to a party, gets black out drunk, hooks up with guy. Next day, regrets it/doesn't remember it. It's how the girl handles it that matters. Does she chalk it up to yhe tequila shooters and cut her losses? Does she contact the guy to see what happened? Or does she just see them as a cashgrab and figures suing student athletes is an easy money gig?

Nobody ever finds out the truth in those scenarios, regardless of the outcome. It's up to the girl to not put herself in that situation and it is up to the guy to understand what the consequences are going to be of he proceeds.

Now, in the cases of a drugged girl, passed out girl, or girl who has sexual interaction forced upon her....that is not a gray area. That is the "Enjoy your new cellmate" area.

Makes sense, student athletes have tons of cash to sue for, it's well known--well, maybe Reggie Bush did, plus he had a house.

The student athlete pays for it via jail time etc. The university pays the legal tab.

Really? That makes no sense.

Say both the accuser and suspect (football player) are UNL students. Why would UNL pay for the suspect's legal tab but not the accuser?

They both end up paying, but the university has more funds.

I'll bet this is an issue every weekend at every college in America. Drunk girl sleeps with drunk guy. Hung over girl regrets her decision in the morning. In 99.9% of the cases she simply makes the walk of shame back to her dorm room. But 0.1% of the time she blames the guy and accuses him of rape. Was it rape? I dunno. Maybe yes, maybe no. It would depend on the facts. It would be a tough call if she was drunk and seemingly gave consent, but then later it turned out she was too drunk to remember what happened. (Was she too drunk to give consent?)

It does.

The vast majority of them are never charged. It requires the guy to say something really stupid. Like I don't know what happened or I was black out myself or sleep walking. If the accuser then says she remembers refusing you are DOA.

Rape kits are always done. However those are very misleading, as normal intercourse always leads to some vaginal tearing according to the Scandinavian sexual research institute.

Rape kits are only really useful when the offender is unknown or a denial that the sex happened.

Usually most paper thin sexual assaults just lead to a good once over questioning of the alleged perp and filed under not enough to charge.

Absent bruising significant tearing etc.

However I have worked in Iowa City in this area and yes, this happens numerous times every weekend.

The vast majority like 99.9% are never reported and not an actual offense. Boyfriend girlfriend two people out on a date, usually never reported or charged.

Where you see this reported is some guy finding a woman passed out at a party usually a total stranger or someone who has tried to get with them prior that they have turned down.

Edit: Read some of Elfs comments <face-palm> liked Moirannes response and others. False rape allegations generally do not happen and if they do they usually dissolve quickly claiming rape is still taboo in our society and the victims are put through a lot of scrutiny and embarrassment.

They do seem to happen more frequently when a sports star is involved. Anyone remember the 03' season when KState was playing in a BCS Bowl? A woman claimed to be sexually assaulted by El Roberson only to get him suspended from half the game. Then, as soon as the game was over she dropped the charges. Or, how about the Eagle, CO deal involving Kobe Bryant where the one claiming rape had three different semen specimens found in her underwear.

We've got a pretty big game coming up. I'm not implying anything here, but high profile players do tend to make great targets.

Perhaps they SEEM to happen more frequently because you are a sports fan and that is where your focus is. You just cited 2 incidents in the past 12 years.

And there was actually only one specimen found in the Kobe case.

Interesting that you make an implication right after saying that you're not implying anything. Call me crazy, but I don't see how a young woman benefits from this situation, unless she is planning on suing the university.

I think if the police are investigating a sexual assault, it might be possible to refrain from condemning the accused as well as 'implying' the alleged victim is a gold-digging whore before knowing the facts.

• Fire 2

Hello Husker Nacione, back again. So what's the latest on this allegation...anybody?

no one on here knows anything .the rest is all WAG.

A'ight. TA and Westy watching the last few games from jail would not be cool, suffice it to say.

it took place at their house NO ONE has said who did what and who it was done to. but yet we got 8 pages of rape protocol and DNA testing going on here. cracks me up

• Fire 1

I almost posted that yesterday. Like a bunch of little old ladies worrying about the spring showers.

Nothing has happened for concern at this point. I trust the kids. They are smarter than that.

And Moraine I do not mean that in a disrespectful nature. But I want the truth before I condemn or worry about such things. And if it is true, I want who ever prosecuted to the fullest extent.

When and if something concrete surfaces, then maybe all the angst. Now it is a waste of time.

Must be bye week.

• Fire 1