Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

I'm not blaming the OWH at all for what they did. A potential rape happened at the house of the 2 most noticeable/popular football players on this year's team. TA and JW are celebrities. Like it or not, celebrity news gets reported more that "normal" news, its just what happens now. If this happened at Iowa or Oklahoma or Alabama do you think that their local newspapers would not have reported it? And the article/headline does not state that TA, JW, or TF are suspects, just that the incident happened at their house.

IMO its probably better this came out now. This was going to come out at some point. Be it now or one week or one month down the road. Imagine the s***storm that would have happened if this came out in a month and now people are asking UNL questions about how they "covered up" a potential rape at the house of the starting QB and WR.

So OWH took it upon themselves to be TMZ? Reporting on celebrity news? I get it. It's going to drive readers and clicks. Also I see your point about getting in front of the story because bad news beating you home is never good. I just think if they wanted to report it, there had to have been a way to do so with minimal collateral damage. Like many have stated, these household residents are now tied to this regardless of level of involvement.

I have to agree here. They shouldn't have reported it until they found out that one of those players is involved. Also, now everyone knows their address.

Who cares if they know their address? I don't get why people think these players should be protected.

The OWH reported the facts as to what happened. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not arguing the facts of what was reported. They are only reporting on it because it occurred at a players home. The only reason they care is because again, it drives revenue. The ethical question is at what cost? I doubt there is some altruistic motive to raise awareness about on campus sexual assault by using this incident as a springboard. If someone gets accused and charged, then by all means, report their name. If not, you are creating guilt by association in the public eye regardless of involvement.

I'm not blaming the OWH at all for what they did. A potential rape happened at the house of the 2 most noticeable/popular football players on this year's team. TA and JW are celebrities. Like it or not, celebrity news gets reported more that "normal" news, its just what happens now. If this happened at Iowa or Oklahoma or Alabama do you think that their local newspapers would not have reported it? And the article/headline does not state that TA, JW, or TF are suspects, just that the incident happened at their house.

IMO its probably better this came out now. This was going to come out at some point. Be it now or one week or one month down the road. Imagine the s***storm that would have happened if this came out in a month and now people are asking UNL questions about how they "covered up" a potential rape at the house of the starting QB and WR.

Do you know how many rapes are reported to UNL? Several a week. They investigate every single one, but most turn into nothing or there's little to prove anything happened. They probably "cover up", as you put it, several rapes simply because they never amount to a charge/arrest.

Now, I won't deny that being a "celebrity" or a public figure of sorts is often reason to report news you wouldn't normally report. But, are you saying because TA and JW are celebrities they deserve to have their names forever tied to a heinous crime that there's currently no factual proof they had anything to do with?

You don't know me or know who I am, so I'd appreciate you not making assumptions about me personally or my upbringing.

Your posts told enough, in this case. You might not want to post shallow and flippant remarks if you bristle at the notion of someone saying you come across as shallow and flippant.

Anyhow, you heard it from me, so at least you heard it from someone.

This post is ridiculous, wrong, and adds nothing to the topic. If there ever was a personal attack...

Let me see who everyone is getting mad at for this incident, and let me know if I missed anyone.

1. The LPD for always targeting Huskers

2. The OWH for "sensational journalism"

3. TA for throwing a party

4. TA for not telling Mike Riley first thing

5. The girl for being a jersey chaser and then reporting a sexual assault.

6. The kids' parents for not telling their kids to keep their ding-dong in their pants.

7. Other message board posters for spreading further rumors.

8. self righteous posters anry at everyone else for talking about the incident

Good one!!!

9. Way too serious people who say we shouldn't be making any "funny posts" about a situation involving such a serious accusation. I understand the sexual assault is a serious situation, however, some of the reactions aren't as "serious".

Let's keep 'em coming!!!

10. Fake Sherlock's that are trying to piece "the case" together

11. Bo Pelini. Because everything bad that happens is somehow all his fault. :lol:

So OWH took it upon themselves to be TMZ? Reporting on celebrity new? I see your point about getting in front of the story because bad news beating you home is never good. I just think if they wanted to report it, there had to have been a way to do so with minimal collateral damage. Like many have stated, these household residents are now tied to this regardless of level of involvement.

I am in the camp that fails to see what the OWH did wrong here.

This is a fact: A rape was reported to have occurred at the house of Tommie Armstrong and Jordan Westerkamp. That is exactly what the OWH reported, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't understand how anybody considers that not newsworthy.

Because it lacks scope and ethical understanding on the matter.

Just because you have "a fact" doesn't mean you report that "fact" without considering all the ramifications, or, without researching more information to develop your story.

The negatives of this story far outweigh the benefits.

1) If there is a true victim out there, she's been called everything from a whore to you name it in the court of public opinion. And we wonder why victims hesitate to come forward?

2) TA and JW have now been forever tied to a (possible) crime they may have literally nothing to do with it. Celebrity or average Joe, that's unacceptable.

3) Everyone knows where they live. Yeah, that's a serious problem. Now, you've given every single person in this state a target if this turns into something. If it doesn't, well, at least we all now know whose house to go vandalize when the Huskers lose...

4) No arrests or charges have been filed.

5) If this does turn into nothing, which is highly likely in rape cases, then what will the point have been?

• Fire 1

Let me see who everyone is getting mad at for this incident, and let me know if I missed anyone.

1. The LPD for always targeting Huskers

2. The OWH for "sensational journalism"

3. TA for throwing a party

4. TA for not telling Mike Riley first thing

5. The girl for being a jersey chaser and then reporting a sexual assault.

6. The kids' parents for not telling their kids to keep their ding-dong in their pants.

7. Other message board posters for spreading further rumors.

8. self righteous posters anry at everyone else for talking about the incident

Good one!!!

9. Way too serious people who say we shouldn't be making any "funny posts" about a situation involving such a serious accusation. I understand the sexual assault is a serious situation, however, some of the reactions aren't as "serious".

Let's keep 'em coming!!!

10. Fake Sherlock's that are trying to piece "the case" together

11. Bo Pelini. Because everything bad that happens is somehow all his fault. :lol:

Totally! Plus 1

This post is ridiculous, wrong, and adds nothing to the topic. If there ever was a personal attack...

Son, it's time you hear this. Not everything one hears or reads is has the sole purpose of building up self esteem or protecting an ego, or as they like to say on the campuses, "keep from being triggered".

Sometimes it stings.

So take it for what it is worth. Might not be worth anything to you, but take it head on, rather than make a backhanded appeal to the moderator to "make that bad man saying mean things go away!" which is how you come across to me.

So now we both now how each other think. That's good.

• Fire 1

Do you know how many rapes are reported to UNL? Several a week. They investigate every single one, but most turn into nothing or there's little to prove anything happened. They probably "cover up", as you put it, several rapes simply because they never amount to a charge/arrest.

Now, I won't deny that being a "celebrity" or a public figure of sorts is often reason to report news you wouldn't normally report. But, are you saying because TA and JW are celebrities they deserve to have their names forever tied to a heinous crime that there's currently no factual proof they had anything to do with?

Do they deserve to have their names dragged through the mud if they didn't do anything? No.

But as others have said, the OWH just reported the facts of the case. Something happened at the player's house. The OWH never targeted them at suspects. If they are not suspects and did not do anything wrong, it will come out in time. It would suck for them that they were associated with the crime, but sh#t happens in life.

If Perlman/Ricketts were having a cocktail party at his house and someone was allegedly raped in a bathroom, do you not think that it would have been reported the same way?

Do they deserve to have their names dragged through the mud if they didn't do anything? No.

But as others have said, the OWH just reported the facts of the case. Something happened at the player's house. The OWH never targeted them at suspects. If they are not suspects and did not do anything wrong, it will come out in time. It would suck for them that they were associated with the crime, but sh#t happens in life.

If Perlman/Ricketts were having a cocktail party at his house and someone was allegedly raped in a bathroom, do you not think that it would have been reported the same way?

They reported one solitary fact with no context. As such, you now have several groups of formed opinions: either the girl is a (insert unsavory name here), the football players are suspects or the 'let's wait for more information' crowd. There's more to journalism than just reporting facts. Simply by including their names in the article, and in some cases even the headline, an association has been drawn. And now even rumors one of the players is the suspect. Do you see how this is a huge ethical problem?

And put yourself in TA's shoes, or JW's shoes. Would your mindset really be "oh well, sh#t happens" if your name was forever tied to a rape accusation? I doubt it. But even if you don't care, that's another huge ethical problem.

In terms of Ricketts/Perlman, I would still hope more facts would be presented before we just said "alleged rape in their bathroom!" and provided nothing else.

• Fire 1

When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest, the media reports it. We aren't going to throw that by the wayside because it involves Nebraska football players.

Furthermore, if Tommy and co. had nothing to do with the rape itself, other than it was done at their house, once someone is charged are we to still not say their names? Having their names tied to it comes from it happening in their home. That's going to be reported whether or not they were involved in the rape or not. So, you know, they will "forever be associated with a heinous crime" anyway. That's the risk you run when you throw a party at your house.

If no charges are filed, guess what! That will also reported. Anyone whose opinion matters isn't going to look down on guys if that happens.

• Fire 3

When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest, the media reports it. We aren't going to throw that by the wayside because it involves Nebraska football players.

Except there is no crime, as of yet - it's one reported allegation. There's a difference.

And do you really think stations like KETV and WOWT are going to follow up on this nonsense? We don't even know the suspect yet.

There's a good chance nothing will come of this and if that happens I highly doubt they're going to come out and say "well, sorry, we made a big deal about something that turned into nothing."