Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

But you don't have to have DNA evidence to arrest someone, or charge them with the crime. DNA is necessary for a conviction, maybe, but not utterly necessary for a charge.

Also, while it can take 6-9 months, DNA testing - at least to find a match - can be done in as little as 24 hours. Getting lab time is often the biggest delay. But I have a hard time believing that we're backed up on lab testing for six to nine months.

I hate to speculate why they're focusing so much on the DNA kit.

The only reason that makes sense for waiting for the DNA testing is that there isn't enough other evidence to charge, but rather than dismiss the accusations and risk public charges of "protecting the football team," prosecutors/police can wait for the DNA testing even though they aren't likely to contain anything incriminating.

Because what could DNA possibly show that isn't already known? DNA only proves participation, not consent, and participation doesn't seem to be disputed.

DNA could show that there was more than one male participant, I guess.

But you don't have to have DNA evidence to arrest someone, or charge them with the crime. DNA is necessary for a conviction, maybe, but not utterly necessary for a charge.

Also, while it can take 6-9 months, DNA testing - at least to find a match - can be done in as little as 24 hours. Getting lab time is often the biggest delay. But I have a hard time believing that we're backed up on lab testing for six to nine months.

I hate to speculate why they're focusing so much on the DNA kit.

The only reason that makes sense for waiting for the DNA testing is that there isn't enough other evidence to charge, but rather than dismiss the accusations and risk public charges of "protecting the football team," prosecutors/police can wait for the DNA testing even though they aren't likely to contain anything incriminating.

Because what could DNA possibly show that isn't already known? DNA only proves participation, not consent, and participation doesn't seem to be disputed.

DNA could show that there was more than one male participant, I guess.

Maybe that's the issue here.

Someone already made a LP reference on deadspin.... smh.

Deadspin is nothing but a wretched hive of clickbait scum and misreported villainy anymore.

So like Fox News, but without the eye candy.

I was told by a reliable source that it's not as bad there as some other places....

Was your source a piece of clothing commonly worn on a foot? If so, we may need to move this entire thread to Rumorville...

...you know, as a precaution. :)

When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest, the media reports it. We aren't going to throw that by the wayside because it involves Nebraska football players.

Except there is no crime, as of yet - it's one reported allegation. There's a difference.

And do you really think stations like KETV and WOWT are going to follow up on this nonsense? We don't even know the suspect yet.

There's a good chance nothing will come of this and if that happens I highly doubt they're going to come out and say "well, sorry, we made a big deal about something that turned into nothing."

He said "When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest." That has happened. There is a police report of a significant crime. That is fact.

Police report does not equal crime.

I could go right now to a police station and a file a report saying you killed my dog. An investigation must take place before we know an actual crime took place.

Similarly speaking, a rape kit must be completed and a protocol followed before it can be determined there was a crime.

There is a difference.

I understand, bud. However, the post by broganreynik made no mention of whether or not there was a crime. He said it will be reported "When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest..

That has occurred.

There's no need to be condescending.

"When there is a police report of a significant crime."

There is a police report of a sexual assault allegation.

That is what has occurred. The language being thrown around on here suggests a crime has taken place and there is no public proof of that yet.

You realize that filing a false police report is a crime, right? If that ends up being the case, it's still reportable, considering the alleged location. Then it's a story of a woman making accusations involving people in the public spotlight.

Either way, it's irresponsible journalism for an outlet to not run the story, when they know damn well it's a huge public interest story. irs because of that very fact that we aren't just going to drop the ball it it ends up being untrue.

It's not irresponsible - it's making an ethical decision. A lot of people on this board would disagree with you, as well. Some here have even applauded the outlets that haven't run a story because of the lack of information.

Some news outlets, regardless of perpetrator, don't run sexual assault stories unless there are actual arrests and/or charges. And they don't drag people's names through the mud who may have had nothing to do with it.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Making a decision to not report something that has to do with arguably the biggest public interest entity in the state is quite questionable decision making. Whether it paints you in a bad light or not, you report the facts.

Agree to disagree.

Actually, at this point in time, I am sort of glad he said something to the media.

If he hadn't said anything and it came out that the alleged rape happened at his house and he simply said..."no comment". WOW...what a sh#t storm that would have caused. This way, by his comments, it is fairly clear he and his two room mates may not be involved.

I haven't read every post, but what he did was dumb.

Should've said something like "the police are investigating an incident that occurred at my residence. Since the investigation is ongoing, I cannot further comment on it. I can tell you that at this time I am not being accused of any wrongdoing ( if true).

I really don't care how this affects the team, this is much bigger than any football game.

• Fire 2

Actually, at this point in time, I am sort of glad he said something to the media.

If he hadn't said anything and it came out that the alleged rape happened at his house and he simply said..."no comment". WOW...what a sh#t storm that would have caused. This way, by his comments, it is fairly clear he and his two room mates may not be involved.

Should've said something like "the police are investigating an incident that occurred at my residence. Since the investigation is ongoing, I cannot further comment on it. I can tell you that at this time I am not being accused of any wrongdoing ( if true).

I really don't care how this affects the team, this is much bigger than any football game.

that would be a pretty mature statement, coming from a 20 year old.

How would that be any better than what he actually said? ("From what we’re hearing, everything was consensual.") :dunno:

How would that be any better than what he actually said? ("From what were hearing, everything was consensual.") :dunno:

Um, it's quite a bit better actually. His opinion on whether she was raped or not is irrelevant if he didn't witness it so he should have kept his mouth shut. His opinion on it comes from the word of some of his buddies. Saying he can't comment on it is way better than saying from what he heard this woman, who went to the hospital and caused 5 cops to come to his house, wasn't really raped.

How would that be any better than what he actually said? ("From what were hearing, everything was consensual.") :dunno:

Um, it's quite a bit better actually. His opinion on whether she was raped or not is irrelevant if he didn't witness it so he should have kept his mouth shut. His opinion on it comes from the word of some of his buddies. Saying he can't comment on it is way better than saying from what he heard this woman, who went to the hospital and caused 5 cops to come to his house, wasn't really raped.

So, if the statement that Tommy heard turned out to be false, do you think he could be sued for defamation or something? I just don't see how he could get into trouble for that statement. In what other possible way could that get him into trouble?

Sure, you and I would have handled it differently. But we're not 22 year old college students. Tommy apparently felt he had to say something, and I just don't think what he said is that big of a deal.

So, if the statement that Tommy heard turned out to be false, do you think he could be sued for defamation or something? I just don't see how he could get into trouble for that statement. In what other possible way could that get him into trouble?

Sure, you and I would have handled it differently. But we're not 22 year old college students. Tommy apparently felt he had to say something, and I just don't think what he said is that big of a deal.

He's 22, not 18. You should know by then if accused ad something of this level to lawyer up.

The university should be telling the kids the same thing. If you get in trouble, don't talk to the police or press. Call us or your lawyer first even if you think you've done nothing wrong.

He's 22, not 18. You should know by then if accused ad something of this level to lawyer up.

The university should be telling the kids the same thing. If you get in trouble, don't talk to the police or press. Call us or your lawyer first even if you think you've done nothing wrong.

You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. (I'm talking about the brief statement Tommy made. Not the crime itself.) What Tommy said wasn't that big of a deal.

Did you have a lawyer at age 22? I didn't. In fact, I still have never engaged a criminal lawyer. Then again, I've never committed any crime. Or at least I've never committed any crime worse than taking too many free baloney bite samples from the local butcher. lol

Incident reports are public information which is why the media outlets have them. What they don't have, I believe, is the full investigative police report which includes victim names and suspects. And I believe that's because no one has been arrested or charged.