Amusing OWH article about Iowa/Nebraska

Caven

NU-Iowa and how neighbors become bitter enemies; how Notre Dame gets left out; Pelini's outburst

By Dirk Chatelain / World-Herald staff writer POSTED: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2015 12:13 PM .

If you’re from New York or Los Angeles, if you’re flying across the country at 30,000 feet and you look down halfway through the journey, the whole landscape looks flat. Barren. Monotonous. Indistinguishable. Only when you take time to stop do you notice the wrinkles in the land.
If you’re sitting in Alabama or Oregon or Texas, if you just started watching college football in the 21st century, the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Iowa Hawkeyes are the same way. Let’s compare the programs over the past 15 seasons, 2001-15.

LINK

Edited by NUance
Good article. +1. I dressed up your OP. Put the article title, author, a quote, and short link. That way people can see what it's about.
  • Fire 2

Iowa is the 26-year-old who chills on the couch on Saturday nights eating Cheetos and drinking Busch Light. Totally comfortable in his own skin, even if that skin hasn’t been soaped in a few days. Every once in a while, he goes to the fancy club and scores a kiss from a pretty girl. A story to tell his buddies. But most of the time, he settles for X-box or an old movie. What’s life gonna be like at 28 or 30? Ehhh, he’ll figure it out. He's content.
Nebraska is 26, too, but still chasing. Constantly looking for the bright lights. He was a big player in his early 20s. Now he sees his neighbors (Iowa, Kansas State, Missouri, Minnesota, Colorado) playing X-box on a Saturday night and shakes his head. I’m going downtown to the finest clubs, he says. Even if the girls are 21 and a little out of my league. It only takes one. I’m not living like this.

That's a pretty awesome metaphor for both programs. I especially like how Dirk has it play out for the current season in the next couple of paragraphs. This is about the third or fourth awesome Dirk article in as many months that I've really liked. There were times in the past when I didn't care for what he had to say. Lately, though, I'm becoming a fan of his. :lol:

I thought he summed up the respective attitudes of the fan bases pretty well - both how we currently are and how we got here. Also why both fan bases seem to not get along - we just seem to have a different mindset about the proper path to take to get the girl. I don't think that either path is exclusively right or wrong but of course both sides firmly believe that their way is the right way.

Iowa is the 26-year-old who chills on the couch on Saturday nights eating Cheetos and drinking Busch Light. Totally comfortable in his own skin, even if that skin hasn’t been soaped in a few days. Every once in a while, he goes to the fancy club and scores a kiss from a pretty girl. A story to tell his buddies. But most of the time, he settles for X-box or an old movie. What’s life gonna be like at 28 or 30? Ehhh, he’ll figure it out. He's content.
Nebraska is 26, too, but still chasing. Constantly looking for the bright lights. He was a big player in his early 20s. Now he sees his neighbors (Iowa, Kansas State, Missouri, Minnesota, Colorado) playing X-box on a Saturday night and shakes his head. I’m going downtown to the finest clubs, he says. Even if the girls are 21 and a little out of my league. It only takes one. I’m not living like this.

That's a pretty awesome metaphor for both programs. I especially like how Dirk has it play out for the current season in the next couple of paragraphs. This is about the third or fourth awesome Dirk article in as many months that I've really liked. There were times in the past when I didn't care for what he had to say. Lately, though, I'm becoming a fan of his. :lol:

That's b/c the new coach is nice to him. He had a personal hate for Bo and took it out on him every chance he got b/c Bo didn't like him and made him feel like that tiny, buck toothed bullied kid when he was young.

If you are a reporter and ask questions you know the coach may not like, then you better have tough skin. You are asking the questions, it's your choice. Just b/c a person doesn't like you and treat you well doesn't mean you should use your job of writing articles to make sure and make them look bad. Not saying Bo didn't deserve some of it, but there is NO doubt he had small bucked toothed man syndrome when pushed. When you are pushed you many times revert back to childhood tendencies and acts. Him and Bo have something in common there. Hell most of us do, but we just don't use our very public and widespread jobs to do it.

That's b/c the new coach is nice to him. He had a personal hate for Bo and took it out on him every chance he got b/c Bo didn't like him and made him feel like that tiny, buck toothed bullied kid when he was young. If you are a reporter and ask questions you know the coach may not like, then you better have tough skin. You are asking the questions, it's your choice. Just b/c a person doesn't like you and treat you well doesn't mean you should use your job of writing articles to make sure and make them look bad. Not saying Bo didn't deserve some of it, but there is NO doubt he had small bucked toothed man syndrome when pushed. When you are pushed you many times revert back to childhood tendencies and acts. Him and Bo have something in common there.

Yeah, I think Bo picked a fight with all the media, not just Dirk. Remember his press conferences? He seemed to be seething with hatred toward them. Kind of the anti-Dale Carnegie approach. Oh well, don't have to worry about *that* anymore.

That's b/c the new coach is nice to him. He had a personal hate for Bo and took it out on him every chance he got b/c Bo didn't like him and made him feel like that tiny, buck toothed bullied kid when he was young. If you are a reporter and ask questions you know the coach may not like, then you better have tough skin. You are asking the questions, it's your choice. Just b/c a person doesn't like you and treat you well doesn't mean you should use your job of writing articles to make sure and make them look bad. Not saying Bo didn't deserve some of it, but there is NO doubt he had small bucked toothed man syndrome when pushed. When you are pushed you many times revert back to childhood tendencies and acts. Him and Bo have something in common there.

Yeah, I think Bo picked a fight with all the media, not just Dirk. Remember his press conferences? He seemed to be seething with hatred toward them. Kind of the anti-Dale Carnegie approach. Oh well, don't have to worry about *that* anymore.

Ya, he did, but Dirk was a definite preferred whipping boy for him.

This is correct. He made life very difficult for all of us and the relationship was sour. The media can be your best friend, but he didn't seem interested in that. Try getting soundbites you can work with from this:

This is correct. He made life very difficult for all of us and the relationship was sour. The media can be your best friend, but he didn't seem interested in that. Try getting soundbites you can work with from this:

Wow, Bo hasn't changed at all. That could be one of our pressers from five years ago. The guy is seething with hatred and anger.

Oh well. It's not our problem anymore.

Always love his response, "What do you think?". How can someone be that much of a prick? Like NUance said, Bo hasn't changed at all. It's the same copy and paste post game interview he had while he was here. Honestly he'd be better off answering, "No comment" to every question.

This was a good article but I have a problem with the talk about the playoff. The committee claims that they only consider this year so I don’t know why it’s obvious that Ohio State should be in. Nebraska has played a tougher schedule than the Buckeyes to this point in the season. The best three teams they have played (from a statistical standpoint) are Penn State, Northern Illinois, and Western Michigan. One of those MAC teams gave them trouble, too – the Northern Illinois Huskies lost 13-20 in the Horseshoe.

This system needs an enema! Take the five power conference champs and 1-3 at large teams from outside the P5 conferences…depending on whether you want a bye for your top seed or whatever… You satisfy the two main complaints about college football from as long as I can remember:

1 - a team that can't win its own conference shouldn't be playing for the national title; and

2 - the "midmajor" should have a chance at winning the national title.

Cheetoes and busch light is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of.

Salty snack with beer? C'mon... I can see your point if Dirk was prescribing eating them together, analogous to cereal and milk, but don't think that's implied. Busch Light has a pretty clean taste for my red beer...though I prefer Billy's Chilis or a Sol with my low sodium spicy V8.