zoogs

QB Recruiting - Past & Present

Yep. Would be extremely surprising if a true freshman can grab the starting job. However, the #2 is wide open. And he can push Tommy enough to make him better.

That was the hope with Johnny Stanton, too, just to be fair.

Mavric Edit: Sorry. I was afraid I was going to derail the thread and I did. Cleaning up my mess - split posts to separate thread.

Sounds like we might be looking for a Juco QB. Would have to be perfect fit, including mid year enrollee. Hopefully if this happens, POB understand that we do need some depth to the position and it's not a shot to unseat him.

Yep. Would be extremely surprising if a true freshman can grab the starting job. However, the #2 is wide open. And he can push Tommy enough to make him better.

POB is vastly superior to Stanton. Even at the JUCO level Stanton is subpar.

Source? Link?

Source? Link?

Turns out Johnny is now a Saddleback College Gaucho.

Here are his stat from this year. Not bad, but still just a smidgen below a 2:1 TD:INT ratio.

http://www.saddlebackgauchos.com/sports/fball/2015-16/bios/stanton_johnny_sn7s?view=gamelog&pos=qb

At the risk of derailing this thread, his stats don't exactly look sub par. He's completing 62.6% of his passes. Accounting for almost 300 yards of total offense per game. Threw 3 picks the first game. Since then his TD/INT is 17/5. And they've won their last 8 games.

At the risk of derailing this thread, his stats don't exactly look sub par. He's completing 62.6% of his passes. Accounting for almost 300 yards of total offense per game. Threw 3 picks the first game. Since then his TD/INT is 17/5. And they've won their last 8 games.

Saddleback isn't exactly in the realm of, for example, Butler Community College. It wouldn't be a JUCO that coaches would say, "Man, we've gotta get a pipeline to that place going!" if that makes sense. POB can complete every pass on the tree. Johnny's a great guy, but he's far too erratic, second guesses himself too much and that snowballs into panic. POB knows what he can do, does it extremely well and doesn't let the little stuff get to him.

Saddleback isn't exactly in the realm of, for example, Butler Community College. It wouldn't be a JUCO that coaches would say, "Man, we've gotta get a pipeline to that place going!" if that makes sense. POB can complete every pass on the tree. Johnny's a great guy, but he's far too erratic, second guesses himself too much and that snowballs into panic. POB knows what he can do, does it extremely well and doesn't let the little stuff get to him.

You've watched a bunch of his games this year?

Stanton had almost exactly the same recruitment as O'Brien. Go back through and read his profile and tell me people weren't just as excited about this under the radar recruit that did great at the Elite 11. Posters were gushing about how fundamentally sound he was and he was the second coming of Tebow.

• Upvote 1

Actually, yes.

Stanton had almost exactly the same recruitment as O'Brien. Go back through and read his profile and tell me people weren't just as excited about this under the radar recruit that did great at the Elite 11. Posters were gushing about how fundamentally sound he was and he was the second coming of Tebow.

Mike Riley doesn't want Tebow. Bo Pelini shouldn't have wanted Tebow. Stanton hated being referred to as Tebow II.

Actually, yes.

Which games has he looked that bad?

Mike Riley doesn't want Tebow. Bo Pelini shouldn't have wanted Tebow. Stanton hated being referred to as Tebow II.

You are missing the point. And if you wouldn't take one of the best college players ever on your team you are out of your mind.

You are missing the point. And if you wouldn't take one of the best college players ever on your team you are out of your mind.

So you would take Tommy Frazier if you were running an 'air raid' offense?

Bo Pelini wasn't running an 'air raid' offense. Tebow would have fit perfectly into the system that Beck was running.

And actually yes I would take Tommy Frazier in any offense but in the one offense that you picked out, I wouldn't play him at QB.

Stanton was a run first QB that had a decent arm. POB is a pass first QB that can run.

I would agree that they are different types of QBs but Stanton was a good fit for the type of offense that was being run at the time, to call him a subpar JUCO QB isn't a good assessment of him. He's accounted for over 3,000 yards of offense and 30 TDs this year to lead his team to an 8-2 record.

Also...Saddleback is ranked ahead of Butler right now...https://jcgridiron.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=1030&Year=2015

I guess all these posts about Stanton / possible JUCO target were better left out of the POB thread.

Anyway, it's cool to see that Stanton has done quite well for himself this year. Can't believe he wasn't even going to make the Fall 85 or whatever that was, or compete for the #2. Maybe just a chance in scenery was needed for him to get his bearings.

Why did this get split out? I support that most times, but read this thread from the start till now. It doesn't even make sense anymore.

I split it out because very little of it is talking about POB.

Almost every post is a descendant of the now-OP.

Just listening to the talking heads about Les Miles situation and how QB recruits that haven't worked out have put a lot of coaches on the hot seat. I hope POB turns out to be the real deal.

That Tommy didn't sit the pine for a series or two to calm it down shows just how bad the QB depth on the team really is.

Edited by Mavric
Split from the POB thread.
  • Upvote 1

Just listening to the talking heads about Les Miles situation and how QB recruits that haven't worked out have put a lot of coaches on the hot seat. I hope POB turns out to be the real deal.

That Tommy didn't sit the pine for a series or two to calm it down shows just how bad the QB depth on the team really is.

The staff let Johnny Stanton transfer. I can't stress enough how much I think that hurt us this season. I feel he would have at the very least pushed Tommy a bit harder.

• Upvote 1

The staff let Johnny Stanton transfer. I can't stress enough how much I think that hurt us this season. I feel he would have at the very least pushed Tommy a bit harder.

He was 5th string....

• Upvote 1

You serious Clark? Stanton wasn't even going to be on the game day roster. The only way he pushes Tommy is in a booze involved fight

Did you forget the sarcasm emoji?

I don't care where he sat on the depth chart. Our only realistic backup was RYKER FYFE!

You can't tell me Stanton would have fared worse than Fyfe did this season. Stanton at least had the mechanics to make Tommy push a little harder. Competition breeds success and there was none at QB this season.

I don't care where he sat on the depth chart. Our only realistic backup was RYKER FYFE!

You can't tell me Stanton would have fared worse than Fyfe did this season. Stanton at least had the mechanics to make Tommy push a little harder. Competition breeds success and there was none at QB this season.

Literally, his only offer right now is UNLV that came yesterday. http://247sports.com/Player/Johnny-Stanton-12730

So, your argument is he would have pushed him from the 5th string spot? Besides recruiting hype as a high school freshmen, I fail see what basis you have to argue he would push anyone. His only offer out of Juco is from a school that Barney Cotton is a part of. No other D-1 team feels he even merits an offer, but the coaches should have begged him to stay based on what?

Great.

Again, how would talking him into staying NOT been helpful to our situation?

I wouldn't have been helpful nor unhelpful, him staying would have been irrelevant. Just like he was during his tenure here.

In the past two games Stanton has thrown for 830 yards and 7 TDs with 0 ints. His team has climbed to #3 in the rankings and his playing the #1 team in the country for the championship.

Can you tell me again how he is subpar at the JUCO level?

• Upvote 2

In the past two games Stanton has thrown for 830 yards and 7 TDs with 0 ints. His team has climbed to #3 in the rankings and his playing the #1 team in the country for the championship.

Can you tell me again how he is subpar at the JUCO level?

Here are Stanton's stats this year at JUCO. http://saddlebackgauchos.com/sports/fball/2015-16/players/johnnystantonshn3?view=gamelog

They look pretty good. I saw on another board that he has a scholly offer from UNLV. Barney Cotton is the current UNLV OC.

Actually Saddleback JC is one of the best in the country and has several former players in the NFL. Good enough for Howie Long to send one of his son from Virginia to play and be coached at Saddleback.

While O'Brien is a good high school QB he played at the Div 2 level in California and his team still finished in 3rd Place in their league. He did not face the top level of competition that Stanton's Santa Margarita team faced. O'Brien is not rated as the top QB in his area. KJ Costello (commit to Stanford) and Devin Modster (commit to Arizona) are much better QB's in the same town. As a matter of fact all three played Pop Warner Football on the same team. O'Brien never played QB on that team.

Stanton played at the D1 level and won the state championship as a junior. He lead his team to # 1 ranking in Maxpreps national poll until his season ended with the knee injury. Stanton was also an elite 11 finalist. It's unfortunate but I believe that Stanton's confidence was destroyed by that lunatic Nebraska had as a head coach. Don't expect O'Brien to be ready to contribute for a couple of years. He has just not faced the top level of competition in high school.

• Upvote 2

While O'Brien is a good high school QB he played at the Div 2 level in California and his team still finished in 3rd Place in their league. He did not face the top level of competition that Stanton's Santa Margarita team faced. O'Brien is not rated as the top QB in his area. KJ Costello (commit to Stanford) and Devin Modster (commit to Arizona) are much better QB's in the same town. As a matter of fact all three played Pop Warner Football on the same team. O'Brien never played QB on that team.

So now we are judging how good recruits are off of Pop Warner games? Sigh...

Stanton played at the D1 level and won the state championship as a junior. He lead his team to # 1 ranking in Maxpreps national poll until his season ended with the knee injury. Stanton was also an elite 11 finalist. It's unfortunate but I believe that Stanton's confidence was destroyed by that lunatic Nebraska had as a head coach. Don't expect O'Brien to be ready to contribute for a couple of years. He has just not faced the top level of competition in high school.

Didn't Stanton run basically a single wing offense in HS?

And Stanton's Oline were all D1 prospects.

San Juan Hills, where O'brien plays, has only been playing football for 8 years. This year was their second best record ever at 8-3.

The ability of this coaching staff to recruit QB's is by far and away better than the old coaching staff. Very impressive.

I'm not sure I agree. The old staff was able to get Cody Green, Brion Carnes, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, and Jamal Turner. These were all fairly high rated recruits even though none of them panned out. I'm really hoping that this staff's QB development is significantly better. That wouldn't take a whole lot, but I think that is where we will see the biggest difference in coaching.

Edit: How could I forget TA. He was also a pretty big get at the time.

The ability of this coaching staff to recruit QB's is by far and away better than the old coaching staff. Very impressive.

I'm not sure I agree. The old staff was able to get Cody Green, Brion Carnes, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, and Jamal Turner. These were all fairly high rated recruits even though none of them panned out. I'm really hoping that this staff's QB development is significantly better. That wouldn't take a whole lot, but I think that is where we will see the biggest difference in coaching.

IMO, a good dual threat QB is not the same type of recruit as a good Pro-Style QB.

Most times, DTQB's aren't very accurate. At least not the ones we've been getting. If they can't pass, you just end up moving them to a new position.

PSQB's are generally pretty good passers, it's just going to come down to reading defenses, understanding coverages and being able to fit passes into tight spaces. Things that they have usually shown the ability to do.

If you're a great runner and a terrible passer, you still get recruited.

If you can't run and can't pass, you're not a QB at all.

At one point in time Kevin Dillman was a 5 star QB recruit too. A lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.

At one point in time Kevin Dillman was a 5 star QB recruit too. A lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.

Yeah, our previous staff did a very fine job of getting the quarterbacks they wanted; just turned out that they didn't pan out. That can be chalked up to a lot of different things, some innocent, some not, and probably several of them all at once. But getting Green, Turner, Armstrong, Stanton, Bubba and Carnes was impressive at the time that we knew as much about those players as we know about POB and Gebbia now.

• Upvote 1

Darlington said he kind of knew he wasn't their style of QB early on. Said they like big-bodied pocket passers. 6-3, 6-4 and can sling it around.

Not that it is surprising. But I don't think there's any doubt that's who we're after going forward.

Are you saying this in defense of the argument that this new staff is out recruiting the old staff at the QB position? If so, remember none of the three QBs this staff has got to commit (POB, Tanner Lee, and Tristan Gebbia) have ever played a snap for Nebraska (Gebbia has not even played his senior year). As you say 'a lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.'

Are you saying this in defense of the argument that this new staff is out recruiting the old staff at the QB position? If so, remember none of the three QBs this staff has got to commit (POB, Tanner Lee, and Tristan Gebbia) have ever played a snap for Nebraska (Gebbia has not even played his senior year). As you say 'a lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.'

No. I was saying we have had a lot of hyped up QB recruits that didn't really play a big role for us or never played for us. I am really excited about the recent success of recruiting this position but will have to see how it all pans out. Who knows, Tanner Lee might be the QB of the future.

No. I was saying we have had a lot of hyped up QB recruits that didn't really play a big role for us or never played for us. I am really excited about the recent success of recruiting this position but will have to see how it all pans out. Who knows, Tanner Lee might be the QB of the future.
Bueno, bueno.

I fully understand Nebraska fans being gun shy as to highly rated QBs. However, like any other position, it's somewhat of a numbers game.

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes. And....I have to guess that we will be able to go out and get another one in the 2018 class.

Having multiple players like this on campus, increases our odds that one of them is going to pan out and do really well. Especially when they can push each other and mentor each other.

I honestly can't think of the last time we had multiple QBs like this in the system.

• Upvote 1

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes.

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green.

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes.

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong.

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton.

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush.

Multiple QBs of this type? Never. But of this caliber? Well, we got highly rated quarterbacks that were at the top of our board pretty much every year.

• Upvote 1

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes.

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green.

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes.

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong.

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton.

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush.

Multiple QBs of this type? Never. But of this caliber? Well, we got highly rated quarterbacks that were at the top of our board pretty much every year.

Brion Carnes? Western Kentucky was his best offer.

Cody Green? I don't remember him having any big offers.

Jamal Turner? Recruited by big schools as an athlete.

AJ Bush? 2 star

Zack Darlington? With his concussion, he's lucky he committed to us when he did. Teams like OSU would have back off him after the concussion. If they still wanted him before.

Stanton? He was a 4 star.. didn't live up to it at Nebraska.

Armstrong? I'm pretty sure he was a three star. Could be wrong.

• Upvote 1

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green. 4 star

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes. 3 star .8634 rating

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner. 4 star and yes, he did play QB in HS. But, I think we were one of the few recruiting him as a QB and he is even listed on 247 as a WR.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong. 4 star

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton. 4 star

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush. Darlington 3 star .8737 AJ Bush 3 star .8044 (that's almost a 2 star)

Looking at 247.

So, from above, our recruiting has been at best spotty. The best situation we had in these years were Tommy and Johnny coming in consecutive years.

And, yes, the word "type" is important in my statement. Meaning, QBs that the rest of the world were all recruiting as top QBs and are well known for being able to deliver the ball accurately....etc.