QB Recruiting - Past & Present

zoogs

Yep. Would be extremely surprising if a true freshman can grab the starting job. However, the #2 is wide open. And he can push Tommy enough to make him better.

That was the hope with Johnny Stanton, too, just to be fair.

POB is vastly superior to Stanton. Even at the JUCO level Stanton is subpar.

In the past two games Stanton has thrown for 830 yards and 7 TDs with 0 ints. His team has climbed to #3 in the rankings and his playing the #1 team in the country for the championship.

Can you tell me again how he is subpar at the JUCO level?

• Fire 2

Yep. Would be extremely surprising if a true freshman can grab the starting job. However, the #2 is wide open. And he can push Tommy enough to make him better.

That was the hope with Johnny Stanton, too, just to be fair.

POB is vastly superior to Stanton. Even at the JUCO level Stanton is subpar.

In the past two games Stanton has thrown for 830 yards and 7 TDs with 0 ints. His team has climbed to #3 in the rankings and his playing the #1 team in the country for the championship.

Can you tell me again how he is subpar at the JUCO level?

Here are Stanton's stats this year at JUCO. http://saddlebackgauchos.com/sports/fball/2015-16/players/johnnystantonshn3?view=gamelog

They look pretty good. I saw on another board that he has a scholly offer from UNLV. Barney Cotton is the current UNLV OC.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Saddleback JC is one of the best in the country and has several former players in the NFL. Good enough for Howie Long to send one of his son from Virginia to play and be coached at Saddleback.

While O'Brien is a good high school QB he played at the Div 2 level in California and his team still finished in 3rd Place in their league. He did not face the top level of competition that Stanton's Santa Margarita team faced. O'Brien is not rated as the top QB in his area. KJ Costello (commit to Stanford) and Devin Modster (commit to Arizona) are much better QB's in the same town. As a matter of fact all three played Pop Warner Football on the same team. O'Brien never played QB on that team.

Stanton played at the D1 level and won the state championship as a junior. He lead his team to # 1 ranking in Maxpreps national poll until his season ended with the knee injury. Stanton was also an elite 11 finalist. It's unfortunate but I believe that Stanton's confidence was destroyed by that lunatic Nebraska had as a head coach. Don't expect O'Brien to be ready to contribute for a couple of years. He has just not faced the top level of competition in high school.

• Fire 2

While O'Brien is a good high school QB he played at the Div 2 level in California and his team still finished in 3rd Place in their league. He did not face the top level of competition that Stanton's Santa Margarita team faced. O'Brien is not rated as the top QB in his area. KJ Costello (commit to Stanford) and Devin Modster (commit to Arizona) are much better QB's in the same town. As a matter of fact all three played Pop Warner Football on the same team. O'Brien never played QB on that team.

So now we are judging how good recruits are off of Pop Warner games? Sigh...

Stanton played at the D1 level and won the state championship as a junior. He lead his team to # 1 ranking in Maxpreps national poll until his season ended with the knee injury. Stanton was also an elite 11 finalist. It's unfortunate but I believe that Stanton's confidence was destroyed by that lunatic Nebraska had as a head coach. Don't expect O'Brien to be ready to contribute for a couple of years. He has just not faced the top level of competition in high school.

Didn't Stanton run basically a single wing offense in HS?

• 3 months later...

The ability of this coaching staff to recruit QB's is by far and away better than the old coaching staff. Very impressive.

I'm not sure I agree. The old staff was able to get Cody Green, Brion Carnes, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, and Jamal Turner. These were all fairly high rated recruits even though none of them panned out. I'm really hoping that this staff's QB development is significantly better. That wouldn't take a whole lot, but I think that is where we will see the biggest difference in coaching.

Edit: How could I forget TA. He was also a pretty big get at the time.

The ability of this coaching staff to recruit QB's is by far and away better than the old coaching staff. Very impressive.

I'm not sure I agree. The old staff was able to get Cody Green, Brion Carnes, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, and Jamal Turner. These were all fairly high rated recruits even though none of them panned out. I'm really hoping that this staff's QB development is significantly better. That wouldn't take a whole lot, but I think that is where we will see the biggest difference in coaching.

IMO, a good dual threat QB is not the same type of recruit as a good Pro-Style QB.

Most times, DTQB's aren't very accurate. At least not the ones we've been getting. If they can't pass, you just end up moving them to a new position.

PSQB's are generally pretty good passers, it's just going to come down to reading defenses, understanding coverages and being able to fit passes into tight spaces. Things that they have usually shown the ability to do.

If you're a great runner and a terrible passer, you still get recruited.

If you can't run and can't pass, you're not a QB at all.

At one point in time Kevin Dillman was a 5 star QB recruit too. A lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.

At one point in time Kevin Dillman was a 5 star QB recruit too. A lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.

Yeah, our previous staff did a very fine job of getting the quarterbacks they wanted; just turned out that they didn't pan out. That can be chalked up to a lot of different things, some innocent, some not, and probably several of them all at once. But getting Green, Turner, Armstrong, Stanton, Bubba and Carnes was impressive at the time that we knew as much about those players as we know about POB and Gebbia now.

• Fire 1

Are you saying this in defense of the argument that this new staff is out recruiting the old staff at the QB position? If so, remember none of the three QBs this staff has got to commit (POB, Tanner Lee, and Tristan Gebbia) have ever played a snap for Nebraska (Gebbia has not even played his senior year). As you say 'a lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.'

Are you saying this in defense of the argument that this new staff is out recruiting the old staff at the QB position? If so, remember none of the three QBs this staff has got to commit (POB, Tanner Lee, and Tristan Gebbia) have ever played a snap for Nebraska (Gebbia has not even played his senior year). As you say 'a lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.'

No. I was saying we have had a lot of hyped up QB recruits that didn't really play a big role for us or never played for us. I am really excited about the recent success of recruiting this position but will have to see how it all pans out. Who knows, Tanner Lee might be the QB of the future.