QB Recruiting - Past & Present

zoogs

Just a personal opinion here, but a guy like Gebbia is going to be more of a fine tune his skills at QB vs a guy like Tommy who was a project at QB.

Rileys staff finds a guy they like, and shapes him into a better player. Bo's staff found an athlete and spent the entire time trying to mold and shaoe and influence and change them into what they wanted.

I like the direction we are headed with POB and Gebbia.

• Fire 1

Just a personal opinion here, but a guy like Gebbia is going to be more of a fine tune his skills at QB vs a guy like Tommy who was a project at QB.

Rileys staff finds a guy they like, and shapes him into a better player. Bo's staff found an athlete and spent the entire time trying to mold and shaoe and influence and change them into what they wanted.

Completely agree

Completely agree

Exactly the point I was trying to make, I'm just not as smaht as you is.

When I watch POB's film I think he's about 3 years away from being NFL ready.

With Gebbia I think he's about 5 years away. Not as polished as O'Brien, but still a probable Pro prospect.

Outside of maybe Cody Green, I never thought any of that with any of Bo's QBs. Green's develepment was just pretty much non-existant. I know Riley and Langsdorf can develop QBs.

• Fire 1

When I watch POB's film I think he's about 3 years away from being NFL ready.

With Gebbia I think he's about 5 years away. Not as polished as O'Brien, but still a probable Pro prospect.

Outside of maybe Cody Green, I never thought any of that with any of Bo's QBs. Green's develepment was just pretty much non-existant. I know Riley and Langsdorf can develop QBs.

In fairness, Gebbia is a junior whereas POB was a senior. High school boys change physically and mentally a great deal as they age. One year of aging in the teenage years is about like two years once you are in your twenties, in my opinion.

The last staff did fine with landing solid-rated QB recruits, but BRB points out some legitimate issues. There were misses, decommits, injuries, etc. The biggest recruiting win of the Bo era at QB played baseball instead. Others like Stanton or Green didn't really pan out.

All of those things could continue to happen, but one thing I'm really happy about is that they're going after guys with maybe more of a pass focus, and they're really intent on coaching them up as QBs, not as runners. That seems like a better idea and should offer some protection against an offense where a QB is an exciting runner but limits what the offense can do.

• Fire 1

The last staff did fine with landing solid-rated QB recruits, but BRB points out some legitimate issues. There were misses, decommits, injuries, etc. The biggest recruiting win of the Bo era at QB played baseball instead. Others like Stanton or Green didn't really pan out.

All of those things could continue to happen, but one thing I'm really happy about is that they're going after guys with maybe more of a pass focus, and they're really intent on coaching them up as QBs, not as runners. That seems like a better idea and should offer some protection against an offense where a QB is an exciting runner but limits what the offense can do.

Spot on. The previous staff's failing was in not developing quarterbacks well, and possibly/probably also in focusing on project athletes over throwers. My only point is that their failing was not in recruiting good, highly rated quarterbacks that they wanted.

• Fire 1

From a pure recruiting standpoint...

Carnes: That year we got a recruiting win in Tyler Gabbert, who (stunningly....) gave us the short shrift late in the game. Watson did a good job scrambling late; the Huskers closed in quickly on a few solid late options, including I believe Kain Colter. Carnes himself was a good pull.

Turner: That year Turner was one of two big-time recruits we had at the position. But Starling chose baseball, and Turner was moved immediately to WR. Watson was also fired.

Darlington: Wasn't he also a pretty significant recruit? He just got that injury.

I think it does show some disconnect in what the staff was going for though. High profile recruits that many schools were projecting at other positions...Green, Turner, Starling, Dillman. Carnes and Darlington themselves ended up at WR. Somehow we recruited a bunch of nicely rated QBs while also possibly not really filling the QB room with QBs at all. And that's clearly changing with Lee, POB, and Gebbia since Riley took over.

From a pure recruiting standpoint...

Carnes: That year we got a recruiting win in Tyler Gabbert, who (stunningly....) gave us the short shrift late in the game. Watson did a good job scrambling late; the Huskers closed in quickly on a few solid late options, including I believe Kain Colter. Carnes himself was a good pull.

Turner: That year Turner was one of two big-time recruits we had at the position. But Starling chose baseball, and Turner was moved immediately to WR. Watson was also fired.

Darlington: Wasn't he also a pretty significant recruit? He just got that injury.

I think it does show some disconnect in what the staff was going for though. High profile recruits that many schools were projecting at other positions...Green, Turner, Starling, Dillman. Carnes and Darlington themselves ended up at WR. Somehow we recruited a bunch of nicely rated QBs while also possibly not really filling the QB room with QBs at all. And that's clearly changing with Lee, POB, and Gebbia since Riley took over.

When Darlington committed he was a big get over tOSU. That was pre-concussion. Carnes was also fairly highly rated as a 4 star on a few services. He was committed early to USF and then decommited after they fired their coach IIRC, but that was late in the cycle and many teams had a QB already.

Tommy does not limit the offense with his ability, just his decision making.

I would agree that Tommy has adequate throwing and running ability to be a tremendous QB but his decision making (which is part of both running and passing ability in my opinion) has often been lacking. There are always things a QB can do better - even the best of them should admit that - but Tommy has been average as a thrower and well above average as a runner. He has NOT been good enough to win a championship YET. Admittedly he has not been on a championship caliber team yet. This fall may see that change as I believe there will be, with lots of good luck and very little bad luck, a chance this fall to make a run at the Big Ten championship. The title game will be exceedingly difficult, particularly if we play the Buckeyes (we have about a one in six chance in that matchup). But I believe strongly we can get to the game provided we play our best ball at the most critical times. We have to win the turnover margin this year and reduce penalties about a third.

Tommy does not limit the offense with his ability, just his decision making.

Tommy is terrific, for sure. I don't think he really limits what the offense can do (although it's not a crazy idea that Nebraska is better off to run 60+% of the time with him at the helm), but I guess what I mean is his physical gifts outstrip his command of QBing. In his case, I think it could be a different story if the staff had gotten more time with him, whereas some of the other guys would've been real projects. Including their final QB commit, Dillman.