QB Recruiting - Past & Present

zoogs

I believe if Starling had come to Lincoln, he would have been a GREAT QB and would have led us to championship games with his outstanding athleticism. He may not have been a great passer (perhaps at best 'average' for Nebraska as a passer) but he would have been a superb QB in a run and option oriented attack. Of course, as I said, his signing is NOT an indication of the high level of QB recruiting because he was not really serious as a commit. He used his scholarship offer from Nebraska to negotiate a little bit higher baseball paycheck but he was bound to be a KC Royal. I believe other schools recognized this. No doubt the Kansas and Missouri schools would have liked to have him but recognized there was not realistic hope. Nebraska was his "Plan D" option only. Wish he would have come and I think I would have made the offer and stuck with him simply because he was such an outstanding athlete and in my view could have been a real difference maker to Nebraska (more so than anywhere else).

News flash. Bubba was about as raw as they come and probably wouldn't have fared any better than anybody we'd have now. Go ahead and look up his passing stats from high school.

• 4 months later...

Here's some context for QB recruiting in other places:

From 2012-15, SEC teams signed 31 four- or five-star quarterbacks, according to 247Sports. So far, only one of those recruits turned into a very important player who will finish his career at the same school: Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs. Highly recruited quarterbacks like Kyler Murray, Kyle Allen, Kenny Hill, Will Grier, Maty Mauk, Hayden Rettig and Zeke Pike have come and gone through the SEC.

Over the same period, ACC teams signed 16 four- or five-star quarterbacks. As of now, four of them look like they're elite and will stay at their school the entire time: Winston, Kaaya, Watson and Francois. Jackson was a three-star recruit. Another top ACC quarterback recruit, Chad Kelly, started at Clemson and now is at Ole Miss after going to junior college.

The hit-rate scoreboard on these quarterback recruits: 25 percent for the ACC, 6 percent for the SEC.

Link

I believe if Starling had come to Lincoln, he would have been a GREAT QB and would have led us to championship games with his outstanding athleticism. He may not have been a great passer (perhaps at best 'average' for Nebraska as a passer) but he would have been a superb QB in a run and option oriented attack. Of course, as I said, his signing is NOT an indication of the high level of QB recruiting because he was not really serious as a commit. He used his scholarship offer from Nebraska to negotiate a little bit higher baseball paycheck but he was bound to be a KC Royal. I believe other schools recognized this. No doubt the Kansas and Missouri schools would have liked to have him but recognized there was not realistic hope. Nebraska was his "Plan D" option only. Wish he would have come and I think I would have made the offer and stuck with him simply because he was such an outstanding athlete and in my view could have been a real difference maker to Nebraska (more so than anywhere else).

News flash. Bubba was about as raw as they come and probably wouldn't have fared any better than anybody we'd have now. Go ahead and look up his passing stats from high school.

You can believe Bubba would've been the savior in one hand, and crap in the other. Let me know which hand fills up faster.

Also, in this past NFL draft the top three QBs taken were from North Dakota State, Cal and Memphis.

In 2014, the five draft picks were from Central Florida, Louisville, Fresno State and Manziel.

Recruiting, developing and evaluating QBs is a pretty inexact science.

YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP YOUR QBS. You can't just recruit fast guys with cannons for arms. You have to redshirt them, teach them, coach them. (Memo to Tim Beck)

I believe those teams know how to do it.

Also, in this past NFL draft the top three QBs taken were from North Dakota State, Cal and Memphis.

In 2014, the five draft picks were from Central Florida, Louisville, Fresno State and Manziel.

YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP YOUR QBS. You can't just recruit fast guys with cannons for arms. You have to redshirt them, teach them, coach them. (Memo to Tim Beck)

The point is where are Alabama, LSU, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, USC, UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.? All the places that get the top-rated HS recruits? I don't think it's as easy as some like to make it seem.

Also, how has our current QB guru been at developing TA in the year-and-a-half since he's been here?

yeah....that works until that hot shot 5 star QB quits and leaves after the first year because you made him redshirt and he didn't win the job immediately.

Not a lot of time to develop.

• Fire 1

I think mattyice hit it on the head. You have to redshirt them and get them into the system and start to coach them early - give them some things to start thinking about before they even get on campus. By the middle of their sophomore year you start to see what you have created. They should be quality starting material by their junior year.

When you take a junior that is already starting and has his foundation in place - it is hard to change a whole lot. Kinda just have to tweak small things and go with what you have.

It is very similar to a college or high school golf team. You want to get a hold of these kids when they are in 7th and 8th grade and give them a strong foundation. When they get to be a starter in HS or college the coach doesn't want to mess with too much - At that point they need them to score.