QB Recruiting - Past & Present

zoogs

• 4 weeks later...

"We don't want to have all the same guys," he said. "I think we've shown that with our history, and then with Tommy (Armstrong). We've evolved. We can go either way. We're going to always tweak our system with the players we have."

Nebraska can have quarterbacks with different styles without having to dramatically alter its system to fit whoever is leading the offense at a given time.

"I think you have a system, and you've got some different ways you can tweak it," Langsdorf said. "You're going to have a base foundation. We're going to have the same terminology."

That said, "We'll probably cater to a little different style of play (for) Tommy than we would (for) Patrick (O'Brien) and Tanner (Lee)," the coach said. "We're not just going to throw it all out and start over. But we've got a lot of ways to kind of cater to the type of guy we have."

LJS

• 3 weeks later...

Wilson, the kid who chose Oregon over us is now considering other options. Just read that in The Oregonian.

Oregon is looking at Bama transfer Blake Barnett and has been starting a TFr QB the past couple weeks, so he may be seeing the writing on the wall.

Does anyone think that we would still be interested? The staff came out and said that they might want to add DT QBs in the future.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2016/10/blake_barnett_alabama_transfer.html

If you're a HS QB I don't know why you would consider Oregon as an option unless you're a huge fan. 3 transfer QBs in 3 years would be crazy and speaks to a lack of development.

Could also speak to the fact that they had trouble recruiting/retaining QBs because guys didn't want to sit behind a three year starter and Heisman trophy winner.

Wilson, the kid who chose Oregon over us is now considering other options. Just read that in The Oregonian.

Oregon is looking at Bama transfer Blake Barnett and has been starting a TFr QB the past couple weeks, so he may be seeing the writing on the wall.

Does anyone think that we would still be interested? The staff came out and said that they might want to add DT QBs in the future.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2016/10/blake_barnett_alabama_transfer.html

I hope the staff would be interested. Wilson would be a good option to compete with POB and Gebbia after Lee leaves (or if Lee is ineffective as the starter).

If you're a HS QB I don't know why you would consider Oregon as an option unless you're a huge fan. 3 transfer QBs in 3 years would be crazy and speaks to a lack of development.

Could also speak to the fact that they had trouble recruiting/retaining QBs because guys didn't want to sit behind a three year starter and Heisman trophy winner.

Eh. I can see that a little bit but our past 2 QBs have been 4 year starters and I feel having a recent Heisman winner would help their case not hurt it. Anybody they recruited in Mariota's second year knew they were going to redshirt.
  • 1 month later...

Give me 6 QB's. Most important position in football let's get the best there. If you have a really special QB it can make a team. I feel like we should never have less than 4 QB's. take one each year and put on scholarship redshirt or not so technically have 5. I'd be perfectly fine with that given our amazing QB depth the past 6 years after QB1 has gone down or played injured and not performed to normal abilities.

Give me 6 QB's. Most important position in football let's get the best there. If you have a really special QB it can make a team. I feel like we should never have less than 4 QB's. take one each year and put on scholarship redshirt or not so technically have 5. I'd be perfectly fine with that given our amazing QB depth the past 6 years after QB1 has gone down or played injured and not performed to normal abilities.

People who say this actually expect 5 QBs to stick around when they're not starting... that just doesn't make sense, to anyone.

People who say this actually expect 5 QBs to stick around when they're not starting... that just doesn't make sense, to anyone.

Yep. If you can keep three scholarship guys and a walk-on or two, you're doing pretty well.

I believe Alabama currently has one scholarship QB on the roster.