QB Recruiting - Past & Present

zoogs

The ability of this coaching staff to recruit QB's is by far and away better than the old coaching staff. Very impressive.

I'm not sure I agree. The old staff was able to get Cody Green, Brion Carnes, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, and Jamal Turner. These were all fairly high rated recruits even though none of them panned out. I'm really hoping that this staff's QB development is significantly better. That wouldn't take a whole lot, but I think that is where we will see the biggest difference in coaching.

Edit: How could I forget TA. He was also a pretty big get at the time.

At one point in time Kevin Dillman was a 5 star QB recruit too. A lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.

Are you saying this in defense of the argument that this new staff is out recruiting the old staff at the QB position? If so, remember none of the three QBs this staff has got to commit (POB, Tanner Lee, and Tristan Gebbia) have ever played a snap for Nebraska (Gebbia has not even played his senior year). As you say 'a lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.'

No. I was saying we have had a lot of hyped up QB recruits that didn't really play a big role for us or never played for us. I am really excited about the recent success of recruiting this position but will have to see how it all pans out. Who knows, Tanner Lee might be the QB of the future.
Bueno, bueno.

The ability of this coaching staff to recruit QB's is by far and away better than the old coaching staff. Very impressive.

I'm not sure I agree. The old staff was able to get Cody Green, Brion Carnes, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, and Jamal Turner. These were all fairly high rated recruits even though none of them panned out. I'm really hoping that this staff's QB development is significantly better. That wouldn't take a whole lot, but I think that is where we will see the biggest difference in coaching.

Edit: How could I forget TA. He was also a pretty big get at the time.

At one point in time Kevin Dillman was a 5 star QB recruit too. A lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.

Are you saying this in defense of the argument that this new staff is out recruiting the old staff at the QB position? If so, remember none of the three QBs this staff has got to commit (POB, Tanner Lee, and Tristan Gebbia) have ever played a snap for Nebraska (Gebbia has not even played his senior year). As you say 'a lot can happen between a highly recruited QB and playing on Saturdays.'

No. I was saying we have had a lot of hyped up QB recruits that didn't really play a big role for us or never played for us. I am really excited about the recent success of recruiting this position but will have to see how it all pans out. Who knows, Tanner Lee might be the QB of the future.

I fully understand Nebraska fans being gun shy as to highly rated QBs. However, like any other position, it's somewhat of a numbers game.

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes. And....I have to guess that we will be able to go out and get another one in the 2018 class.

Having multiple players like this on campus, increases our odds that one of them is going to pan out and do really well. Especially when they can push each other and mentor each other.

I honestly can't think of the last time we had multiple QBs like this in the system.

• Fire 1

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes.

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green.

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes.

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong.

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton.

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush.

Multiple QBs of this type? Never. But of this caliber? Well, we got highly rated quarterbacks that were at the top of our board pretty much every year.

• Fire 1

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes.

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush.

Multiple QBs of this type? Never. But of this caliber? Well, we got highly rated quarterbacks that were at the top of our board pretty much every year.

Brion Carnes? Western Kentucky was his best offer.

Cody Green? I don't remember him having any big offers.

Jamal Turner? Recruited by big schools as an athlete.

AJ Bush? 2 star

Zack Darlington? With his concussion, he's lucky he committed to us when he did. Teams like OSU would have back off him after the concussion. If they still wanted him before.

Stanton? He was a 4 star.. didn't live up to it at Nebraska.

Armstrong? I'm pretty sure he was a three star. Could be wrong.

• Fire 1

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green. 4 star

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes. 3 star .8634 rating

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner. 4 star and yes, he did play QB in HS. But, I think we were one of the few recruiting him as a QB and he is even listed on 247 as a WR.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong. 4 star

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton. 4 star

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush. Darlington 3 star .8737 AJ Bush 3 star .8044 (that's almost a 2 star)

Looking at 247.

So, from above, our recruiting has been at best spotty. The best situation we had in these years were Tommy and Johnny coming in consecutive years.

And, yes, the word "type" is important in my statement. Meaning, QBs that the rest of the world were all recruiting as top QBs and are well known for being able to deliver the ball accurately....etc.

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington

This stat alone should tell people all they need to know why the last staff is gone now.

It should also explain why Tommy has struggled so much....

• Fire 1

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner. 4 star and yes, he did play QB in HS. But, I think we were one of the few recruiting him as a QB and he is even listed on 247 as a WR.

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush. Darlington 3 star .8737 AJ Bush 3 star .8044 (that's almost a 2 star)

Looking at 247.

So, from above, our recruiting has been at best spotty. The best situation we had in these years were Tommy and Johnny coming in consecutive years.

And, yes, the word "type" is important in my statement. Meaning, QBs that the rest of the world were all recruiting as top QBs and are well known for being able to deliver the ball accurately....etc.

I'm not really a follower of recruiting except for the Huskers, casually.

Is it normal to land 2 good QB recruits in the same year? You're implying that it is by saying the above is at best spotty. To me it looks pretty good.

Looking at 247.

Most of Tommy's offers weren't at QB, he talked about it before the Southern Miss game.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks Pelini's staff did a nice job recruiting QB's, they are crazy. Bo never recruited a QB. Always an athlete that he thought could throw.

Darlington was the best one by far and then he got concussion and wasn't the same.

If you look at numbers in high school, Darlington is actually one of Bo's worst quarterback recruits as far as throwing the ball versus running it.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks Pelini's staff did a nice job recruiting QB's, they are crazy. Bo never recruited a QB. Always an athlete that he thought could throw.

Darlington was the best one by far and then he got concussion and wasn't the same.

If you look at numbers in high school, Darlington is actually one of Bo's worst quarterback recruits as far as throwing the ball versus running it.

He damn near missed his entire senior season! You know, the season you usually show the most impressive numbers...most recruiting analysts say he would've undoubtedly been a big time recruit had that not happened. The concussion that is.

Really???

Green - good

Cranes- not heavily recruited 3 star. Huskers got excited because of who his uncle was.

Turner- not heavily recruited as a QB

Armstrong -good

Stanton - good

Darlington and Bush - not impressive as QBs.

I think Turner was a top 10 mobile QB recruit. I looked it up a couple years ago. I remember being excited about Darlington.

You didn't answer my question.

Really???

Green - good

Cranes- not heavily recruited 3 star. Huskers got excited because of who his uncle was.

Turner- not heavily recruited as a QB

Armstrong -good

Stanton - good

Darlington and Bush - not impressive as QBs.

I think Turner was a top 10 mobile QB recruit. I looked it up a couple years ago. I remember being excited about Darlington.

You didn't answer my question.

I don't expect to get two in one class. Not sure what your pint is with the question.

Some years we didn't even get one.