White Student Union

I've talked with you until I'm blue in the face. You've asked me these same questions before and I'm not answering them again. No matter my position you've argued with it.

It's not like you keep changing your position, and I intentionally pick the opposite one just to spite you. Your position is consistent, and so is mine. I think it's pretty foolish to think that you earned everything you've ever accomplished in life 100% without any benefit from your upbringing or your community or hundreds of other factors.

It's fine if you don't agree with me, but actually ask yourself, is the kid that grew up with a single crack-addicted mom in project housing getting a terrible education from a poor school district entirely to blame for not having a good job, good mental health and a consistent, comfortable life? People are created equal but they are born into drastically unequal circumstances.

I'm glad for you that you think that, that's another opinion I suppose.

I've talked with you until I'm blue in the face. You've asked me these same questions before and I'm not answering them again. No matter my position you've argued with it.

It's not like you keep changing your position, and I intentionally pick the opposite one just to spite you. Your position is consistent, and so is mine. I think it's pretty foolish to think that you earned everything you've ever accomplished in life 100% without any benefit from your upbringing or your community or hundreds of other factors.

It's fine if you don't agree with me, but actually ask yourself, is the kid that grew up with a single crack-addicted mom in project housing getting a terrible education from a poor school district entirely to blame for not having a good job, good mental health and a consistent, comfortable life? People are created equal but they are born into drastically unequal circumstances.

Even for those of us who worked at jobs and paid our own way through school?

Yes, even you guys :)

That is unless you were fully responsible for getting yourself ready for kindergarten and seeing to it that you got yourself there everyday. Also making sure you did your own shopping at a store not called Goodwill. Getting yourself seen by a family physician and not a convenient clinic. I believe it is also likely that someone read you bedtime stories and made sure you got your homework done. I'm making a huge assumption that responsibilty was effectively modeled for you to put you in a position to work and pay for your own school. Congrats to you, and also congrats to your parents for "giving" and "helping" throughout your formative years.

That said, there are families of all colors and creeds who are poor and unable to provide good parenting; either by choice or circumstance. But countless studies have shown that those families are far less likely to be white and more likely to be a minority. Yes, it is socio-economic. Being poor is hard! But why are white people less likely to be poor? Are white people smarter, bigger, stronger, faster than their minorty counterparts?

(Nuance: "you" doesn't mean you exclusively. It includes all of us that worked and payed, in my case still paying, our own tuition and bills)

Okay. By that definition not many in the history of the world have earned everything they've accomplished. I think I came pretty close though. I've been on my own since I was 19. And other than living at home for one summer during my college years, I didn't receive any help from my parents with college. Or anyone else, for that matter. So there's that. :lol:

Okay. By that definition not many in the history of the world have earned everything they've accomplished. I think I came pretty close though. I've been on my own since I was 19. And other than living at home for one summer during my college years, I didn't receive any help from my parents with college. Or anyone else, for that matter. So there's that. :lol:

The point is that it's not a yes or no, on or off thing. It's a spectrum, or a matter of degrees. The thing people talk about when they're talking about racial injustice or systemic oppression is that certain people, particularly blacks, struggle to a greater degree than others, generally speaking.

Nobody is taking away your accomplishments. They're still yours. But if you are white, if you are male, if you grew up in a good, healthy home, if ________________, you have a much better shot at being able to achieve the things you want to, or even to be encouraged to want to achieve anything in the first place.

• Fire 1

The point is that it's not a yes or no, on or off thing. It's a spectrum, or a matter of degrees. The thing people talk about when they're talking about racial injustice or systemic oppression is that certain people, particularly blacks, struggle to a greater degree than others, generally speaking.

Nobody is taking away your accomplishments. They're still yours. But if you are white, if you are male, if you grew up in a good, healthy home, if ________________, you have a much better shot at being able to achieve the things you want to, or even to be encouraged to want to achieve anything in the first place.

If a white kid is born into a crappy situation he/she can fail just as easily as a black kid can IMO. So the situation they're in is the problem, not the color at least IMO.

If a white kid is born into a crappy situation he/she can fail just as easily as a black kid can IMO. So the situation they're in is the problem, not the color at least IMO.

This is completely true, but again, on average, the color of your skin makes you much more statistically likely to fall into certain kinds of situations.

That's all I've been trying to tell you. If you're born white, you have a much better chance overall to be born into a good situation that will encourage and help you towards making a good life for yourself.

This is completely true, but again, on average, the color of your skin makes you much more statistically likely to fall into certain kinds of situations.

That's all I've been trying to tell you. If you're born white, you have a much better chance overall to be born into a good situation that will encourage and help you towards making a good life for yourself.

So who's to blame for the situation african-american's are born into? Their own community or everyone else?

• Fire 2

So who's to blame for the situation african-american's are born into? Their own community or everyone else?

I don't think assigning blame is helpful or necessary. It doesn't matter who's to blame, it only matters why things are the way they are and how we can all work to make them better.

If I'm black and I grow up with a single drug-addicted parent in the ghetto, and then I grow into a deadbeat gang member and knock someone up, then I am simultaneously a victim and a perpetrator of some nasty sh#t. These are cycles that have been repeating for centuries, you start out as the victim and you grow into the victimizer.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I saw earlier today that there was a push to form a "White Student Union" at the University of Illinois after increases in black protest on that campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/20/white-student-union-challenges-black-lives-matter-at-university-of-illinois/

From the little I have read, I'm not sure the approach taken by whoever is posting this suggestion makes sense, but I do wonder if we will see some groups opposed to all the Black Lives Matter groups (or similar) start to get active on college campuses. The U of I administration condemned the White Student Union and has contacted facebook multiple times to have it removed.

Speaking of Black Lives Matters, I see that our great chancellor, Harvey, sent out a note the other day talking about how great Black Lives Matter is, and encouraged everyone to participate in their rally, and that he would be there too. Now I wonder if there was a White Student Union or some other opposition group if Harvey would endorse it and attend as well. I mean, there could be white students that feel there is too high of a percentage of blacks on the football team or in other major sports relative to the national racial percentages, and that there must be equity in that regard. I don't believe in giving any group special treatment and believe the best person should get the job/position.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be more to come on this, especially if it continues or builds steam.

No, and it would be stupid if he did. Whites don't need to form their own special group to get their voices heard. They're over represented in pretty much every positive category you can think of, and underrepresented in the negative ones.

how are the whites under represented in the negative category wise?

I'm assuming you're joking but if not I'll mention one:

Poverty rate

10% of Whites are in poverty. 27% of Blacks, 24% of Hispanics. It's a problem for Whites but not near as much of one as it is for Blacks or Hispanics. They have much more reason to try to have their voices heard to try to get the problem fixed. Perhaps I should have said comparatively since ideally there would be 0% poverty rate.

sounds like they have more reason to try and make something of themselves instead of worrying about who might have it easier. some white kids have it easier than other white kids. in the new orleans area, where i'm from, a lot of black professional families have kids who have it easier than some white kids. those same families also teach their children to stay away from "hood rats", etc. same thing you see in white culture, don't mix with a lower economic class. maybe black people aren't as much of a minority down here anymore so they aren't all full of excuses.

at the end of the day, people have to look out for themselves, and if they don't have the drive to change their station in life, it won't matter how much "help" they receive. black people have every right to better themselves in this country instead of falling back on excuses. previous generations did a lot for them. does that mean they'll make millions of dollars a year as an f100 ceo? probably not. most people from any other race won't either. when you start comparing freedom and the ability to determine one's life to the elite, you can compare just about everyone to that, race aside.

i grew up with "blacks" and one of the biggest insults you can make to a professional self made black person is to treat them like they're "black", even if it's well intended. i have two close friends i've known since 1st grade. they finished high school, went to college and have been electrical engineers for close to 20 years. nothing dramatic, nothing fancy. they came from lower/middle class homes. they are both pretty bright, showed up everyday and didn't use any excuses. most people of any race in this country, present day, don't do things because they don't want to do them. they just want something handed to them.

as far as white people in this country. it was taken over by whites, settled by whites and is run by whites. that's how it is. people can try their luck back in their homelands, no one is stopping them. (except maybe their sh**ty homelands). this country was built on the backs of more white people than any other race(most of it wasn't the most glamorous work). if black people's ancestors where sold by their own people and shipped over here? they're lucky. they had it worse being slaves in africa to their own people and would be a lot worse off now, on avg. obviously not saying any of it is ok, but it happened. OMG!!! more opportunities for the majority race!!! who would have thought!!!

• Fire 1

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I saw earlier today that there was a push to form a "White Student Union" at the University of Illinois after increases in black protest on that campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/20/white-student-union-challenges-black-lives-matter-at-university-of-illinois/

From the little I have read, I'm not sure the approach taken by whoever is posting this suggestion makes sense, but I do wonder if we will see some groups opposed to all the Black Lives Matter groups (or similar) start to get active on college campuses. The U of I administration condemned the White Student Union and has contacted facebook multiple times to have it removed.

Speaking of Black Lives Matters, I see that our great chancellor, Harvey, sent out a note the other day talking about how great Black Lives Matter is, and encouraged everyone to participate in their rally, and that he would be there too. Now I wonder if there was a White Student Union or some other opposition group if Harvey would endorse it and attend as well. I mean, there could be white students that feel there is too high of a percentage of blacks on the football team or in other major sports relative to the national racial percentages, and that there must be equity in that regard. I don't believe in giving any group special treatment and believe the best person should get the job/position.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be more to come on this, especially if it continues or builds steam.

No, and it would be stupid if he did. Whites don't need to form their own special group to get their voices heard. They're over represented in pretty much every positive category you can think of, and underrepresented in the negative ones.

how are the whites under represented in the negative category wise?

I'm assuming you're joking but if not I'll mention one:

Poverty rate

10% of Whites are in poverty. 27% of Blacks, 24% of Hispanics. It's a problem for Whites but not near as much of one as it is for Blacks or Hispanics. They have much more reason to try to have their voices heard to try to get the problem fixed. Perhaps I should have said comparatively since ideally there would be 0% poverty rate.

sounds like they have more reason to try and make something of themselves instead of worrying about who might have it easier. some white kids have it easier than other white kids. in the new orleans area, where i'm from, a lot of black professional families have kids who have it easier than some white kids. those same families also teach their children to stay away from "hood rats", etc. same thing you see in white culture, don't mix with a lower economic class. maybe black people aren't as much of a minority down here anymore so they aren't all full of excuses.

at the end of the day, people have to look out for themselves, and if they don't have the drive to change their station in life, it won't matter how much "help" they receive. black people have every right to better themselves in this country instead of falling back on excuses. previous generations did a lot for them. does that mean they'll make millions of dollars a year as an f100 ceo? probably not. most people from any other race won't either. when you start comparing freedom and the ability to determine one's life to the elite, you can compare just about everyone to that, race aside.

i grew up with "blacks" and one of the biggest insults you can make to a professional self made black person is to treat them like they're "black", even if it's well intended. i have two close friends i've known since 1st grade. they finished high school, went to college and have been electrical engineers for close to 20 years. nothing dramatic, nothing fancy. they came from lower/middle class homes. they are both pretty bright, showed up everyday and didn't use any excuses. most people of any race in this country, present day, don't do things because they don't want to do them. they just want something handed to them.

as far as white people in this country. it was taken over by whites, settled by whites and is run by whites. that's how it is. people can try their luck back in their homelands, no one is stopping them. (except maybe their sh**ty homelands). this country was built on the backs of more white people than any other race(most of it wasn't the most glamorous work). if black people's ancestors where sold by their own people and shipped over here? they're lucky. they had it worse being slaves in africa to their own people and would be a lot worse of now, on avg. obviously not saying any of it is ok, but it happened. OMG!!! more opportunities for the majority race!!! who would have thought!!!

Dude...

You forgot about the white genocide against an entire people that lived in this country before it was "settled". Also this countries infrastructure and industry was heavily contributed to by immigrants and slaves from Asia, Africa, and poorer European countries who did the grunt worked and got paid less or treated worse than "whitey".

Little secret ill let you in on. The world aint all sunshine and rainbows. Its a very mean and nasty place. Survival of the fittest. Its that simple. You people are making it about black brown green blue whatever. And its got NOTHING to do with it. Its about strong and weak.

Dun.

f#*k this sh#t.

• Fire 1

Little secret ill let you in on. The world aint all sunshine and rainbows. Its a very mean and nasty place. Survival of the fittest. Its that simple. You people are making it about black brown green blue whatever. And its got NOTHING to do with it. Its about strong and weak.

Dun.

f#*k this sh#t.

So white people are stronger, then. I mean, if we're the dominant and successful culture of America, then I suppose our race is the most fit. Ballin'.

Dun.

f#*k this sh#t.

So white people are stronger, then. I mean, if we're the dominant and successful culture of America, then I suppose our race is the most fit. Ballin'.

YOURE the one making it about race. The white apologist. The american apologist. IM the one saying its all bullsh#t. You say white ppl are atronger then. I say successful folks are stronger then.

If race isnt isnt supposed to matter, then why are you making it matter by giving attention to sh#t like this? Im tired of it all. So i ignore it all. But the second i see someone tellin me i shoukd be ashamed of my success cuz apparently theres some black thig somewhere who cant get out of his own way and rise above his situation-by choice, NOT by race-well, thats where i draw the line.

For every black man who thinks hes bein held down by the oh so evil white man, theres a successful black man whos made it abd done it right.

Yes. It is a survival of the fittest world. Youre either hitting or getting hit. And world dont give a f#*k what color your skin is

• Fire 3

Dun.

f#*k this sh#t.

YOURE the one making it about race. The white apologist. The american apologist. IM the one saying its all bullsh#t. You say white ppl are atronger then. I say successful folks are stronger then.

If race isnt isnt supposed to matter, then why are you making it matter by giving attention to sh#t like this? Im tired of it all. So i ignore it all. But the second i see someone tellin me i shoukd be ashamed of my success cuz apparently theres some black thig somewhere who cant get out of his own way and rise above his situation-by choice, NOT by race-well, thats where i draw the line.

For every black man who thinks hes bein held down by the oh so evil white man, theres a successful black man whos made it abd done it right.

Yes. It is a survival of the fittest world. Youre either hitting or getting hit. And world dont give a f#*k what color your skin is

My high school economics teacher had an acronym: TANSTAAFL. Some of you may have heard of it. Expanded, it says There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. It's meaning is simple - everything in this world costs something. For example, is the air you breathe free? No. We take steps to protect the environment, plant trees, save forests. Is a free meal gift card at a restaurant free? No. The plastic on the card, the gas it took you to get there and the waiters time to serve you all cost something.

A similar concept can be applied to success among people, and as you so eloquently put it, 'survival of the fittest.'

The races and people of this country are not on equal footing. Some people face far more challenges than you give them credit for, whether it be race or money. Some are able to build their own success.

But no one successful - and I repeat - NO ONE... has ever reached their goals without the help, the cost, of someone or something else. Be proud of what you've been able to accomplish - but no one should ever act like what they did can be done by anyone else. Life is about opportunity and chance, and sometimes, those are not dished out fairly.

And in some cases, yes... the world DOES give a f*** what color your skin is. To suggest otherwise is completely, and unequivocally, uninformed.

• Fire 5