Iowa D vs. Nebraska O

Caven

We seemed to have good luck vs Sparty running Cross up the gut for ~6yds a pop. His straight ahead, physical ability worked well against them, perhaps it can vs IA. I still haven't given up completely on Newby, but the guy needs some space, a crease or spring him out on the edge. Ozigbo seems to be doing fairly well also. I'm still mystified as to the disappearance of Wilbon and the absence of Adam Taylor--any word on either of those two?

Anyway, I think we can move the ball on anybody, provided TA and the receivers execute. I'm more worried about the physicality of IA's O, actually, they are able to grind it out for 4 qtrs.

I like our chances in this game, though.

We seemed to have good luck vs Sparty running Cross up the gut for ~6yds a pop. His straight ahead, physical ability worked well against them, perhaps it can vs IA. I still haven't given up completely on Newby, but the guy needs some space, a crease or spring him out on the edge. Ozigbo seems to be doing fairly well also. I'm still mystified as to the disappearance of Wilbon and the absence of Adam Taylor--any word on either of those two?

Anyway, I think we can move the ball on anybody, provided TA and the receivers execute. I'm more worried about the physicality of IA's O, actually, they are able to grind it out for 4 qtrs.

I believe I read somewhere that Wilbon is out due to injury. I could be mistaken though.

I believe I read somewhere that Wilbon is out due to injury. I could be mistaken though.

Thanks. I'm yearning for Taylor to get a chance, thinking he might be the answer. Wonder what's up there.

Our D will need to contain their TE in the middle of the field and in crossing routes. An achilles week under Bo and Banker to date.

Our success on O will depend ultimately on the play calling of Langs. If the plan is to "dink and dunk" down the field, we lose. TA is not a QB who can successfully and repeatedly make those throws without throwing some INT's. Iowa has feasted on TO"s..... I would grind the clock and lean on the run game. Concerns me when Riley said he was unsure how to use Cross and Newby now Newby is healthy. I do. Run the legs off Cross and Jano in 2 back sets...... Run play action to open up the passing game and get the safeties out of the box. Run some toss sweeps to widen out their LB's and then attack the middle.

As Elliot said after the OSU/MSU, coaches didn't put us in a position to win. Same with this. Langs calls a game that is more predicated on establishing a power run game we win. Tries to go "air raid" we lose.

Cross & Ozigbo are the best backs. Put Jano in front of them and pound Iowa. We can wear Iowa down. If TA throws 40 times we lose.

Thanks. I'm yearning for Taylor to get a chance, thinking he might be the answer. Wonder what's up there.

You are hoping Taylor gets some action? That guy hasn't sniffed the field at the RB position.

There was a vocal contigent on this board advocating a power running game, and it was opposed by several long time posters. Big difference running out of a power set with two backs and a tight end versus a lone tailback. I believe the success of the past two games is not a product of a change in player attitude but rather a change in offensive strategy. Cross has proven himself to be a valuable back in this offense. Hopefully Riley will build a 2016 offense around the strengths of the team instead of trying to adapt the team to some west coast offense.

• Fire 1

There was a vocal contigent on this board advocating a power running game, and it was opposed by several long time posters. Big difference running out of a power set with two backs and a tight end versus a lone tailback. I believe the success of the past two games is not a product of a change in player attitude but rather a change in offensive strategy. Cross has proven himself to be a valuable back in this offense. Hopefully Riley will build a 2016 offense around the strengths of the team instead of trying to adapt the team to some west coast offense.

At what point is Riley allowed to teach his offense? That change over is inevitable, when exactly do we let it happen?

I think there was a very clear change in player attitudes after the Purdue loss. Two players left the team that week as well. Both of these things along with player comments lead me to believe that the coaches drew a line in the sand. Either your N or you're not. If not, there's the door and we wish you the best. If you are, then we are a team and its time to start playing like one. Something happened that week, it may not be as I described but it was something that woke this team up.

There was definitely a change in the team mentality after Purdue.

Riley and Lanfsdorf will continue to emplimrnting their system. I'm fine with that. I actually really like the type of plays and play design I've seen. There is creativity and it gets the ball in multiple players hands.

Big Red Wrap Up had a piece on the TE run play from last week. They showed how the one we ran was much better designed than the one MSU ran the week before.

That's what I like to see.

Our D being a little worn down is my biggest concern for us. They have about doubled what they allow the other team to do in the past couple of weeks. I think our gameplan will be to stop the run and make TA beat us with his arm and I think we might have just enough left in the tank to do it. If not then it will be a long day and will come down to whether our offense can outscore yours. Heck - if TA is having a good game then even if we take away the run it will come down to our O as well.

I know that Nebraska has had some major pass defense problems this year. It seemed much better in the last game - but that was against Rutgers. I am really curious to see if Iowa comes out trying to establish the run like we usually do or if we come out and immediately test the secondary.

Stopping the run may not actually stop the Husker O. Huskers are averaging 170 ypg rushing (4.7 ypc) and 273 ypg passing (7.6 ypa, 13.7 ypc). For the most part, the Huskers have passed to setup the run which then sets up play action.

The real danger for Iowa is TA scrambling. He's made some big plays with both his arm and his feet when outside the pocket. Of course, he's also been interception prone when trying too hard for the big play.

Our D being a little worn down is my biggest concern for us. They have about doubled what they allow the other team to do in the past couple of weeks. I think our gameplan will be to stop the run and make TA beat us with his arm and I think we might have just enough left in the tank to do it. If not then it will be a long day and will come down to whether our offense can outscore yours. Heck - if TA is having a good game then even if we take away the run it will come down to our O as well.

I know that Nebraska has had some major pass defense problems this year. It seemed much better in the last game - but that was against Rutgers. I am really curious to see if Iowa comes out trying to establish the run like we usually do or if we come out and immediately test the secondary.

Stopping the run may not actually stop the Husker O. Huskers are averaging 170 ypg rushing (4.7 ypc) and 273 ypg passing (7.6 ypa, 13.7 ypc). For the most part, the Huskers have passed to setup the run which then sets up play action.

The real danger for Iowa is TA scrambling. He's made some big plays with both his arm and his feet when outside the pocket. Of course, he's also been interception prone when trying too hard for the big play.

IMO, TA has done little designed QB runs throughout the season. Now is the time to turn him lose. Would love to see the zone read run against Iowa and more option. Something not a lot of film on for this season under Riley. Do it enough to keep their D honest. Creep safeties into the box and then PA over the top for 6....

TA's legs could be huge this game. And the difference.

• Fire 1

I tire of the argument that the coaches have to change what they do. Do you really want coaches trying to run an offense they don't really know all that well? Our AD didn't bring in a guy who's known for the power running game so that ship has sailed for at least another couple of seasons that would have to be at least as bad as this one that's almost over.

Watched the Iowa - Purdue game. Iowa has a very questionable secondary. Purdue lost their starting QB due to injury. So Appleby comes in and found holes all over Iowas very soft zone almost throughout the game. Iowa also got almost zero pressure on the guy. I don't remember seeing a sack all game from Iowa. They rarely blitzed, and well, obviously never got home on the blitz.

Honestly, everyone on here wants to see us run it all over Iowa. But Iowas weakness is their lack of pressure and a questionable secondary. It would be nice to see us run it down their throats, but that's not Iowa's weakness on D.