Overtime: Iowa Post-game Overreaction

No. Three more practices with this staff could really set us back heading into next year. This is one case where less is more.

We just went head-to-head with the number 3 team in the country. Three weeks ago we beat a top ten team. What the hell do you want?

Us to actually win the games we should statistically win.

BYU: Led the game 28-27 with :03 left. Lost on a Hail Mary.

Miami: Rallied in the 4th quarter to force OT. Throw an INT on the first play of OT, with a bonus unsportsmanlike penalty to essentially give Miami the win.

Illinois: Led 13-7 with :55 left. No timeouts for Illinois and Tommy is given the option to pass, which he so happily complies with, throwing an incomplete pass to an albeit open Devine Ozigbo. Given the sieve the secondary was at that point, Nebraska was bound to give up the big pass play, and they did, and lost 14-13.

Wisconsin: Led 21-20 after Wisconsin missed a FG with 1:30 left. Wisconsin has all 3 timeouts, and Nebraska runs 3 uncreative totally predictable plays up the middle, running a total of :25 off the clock. Given the sieve the secondary was at that point, Nebraska was bound to give up enough plays to put Wisconsin back into field goal range, which they did. Wisconsin hits a FG and wins 23-21

Northwestern: Held the ball for almost 18 more minutes (note: football's a 60 minute game), ran 30 more plays than Northwestern who was playing a true freshman QB and had just gotten beaten senseless by Michigan and Iowa. Lose 30-28.

Purdue: Going up against the worst run defense in the Big Ten with a backup QB, Nebraska throws the ball an astounding, mind-boggling 55 times in a 55-45 loss, which required a 4th quarter rally after being down 42-16.

Iowa: Nebraska ran 39 more plays against the Hawkeyes today and held the ball for 13 more minutes (note: football's a 60 minute game). In a windy day, Nebraska scored just 3 points when going against the win and held Iowa, a team who had excelled on 3rd down ALL SEASON LONG to 0/8 on 3rd down. But no, 4 interceptions from Tommy Armstrong quelled any chance of another Nebraska upset.

• Fire 1

If he could win by heart alone, he'd be one of the best. But his mechanics are shakey and I'm afraid that at this point in his career he may never be able to overcome them.

The weird thing is, from everything I know, Tommy doesn't have these crappy mechanics in practice which is what absolutely frustrates the coaching staff. Put him in a full scrimmage, or an actual game, and Tommy resorts to terribly bad habits.

It sort of reminds me of Taylor Martinez 'changing' his throwing motion. It looked differently in the summer, and fall practices. But the minute those lights came on and the real games were played, Taylor went back to those horrific throwing mechanics he always had.

Honestly, thinking back to the starting QB's at Nebraska since Pelini took over. Staring down receivers has been a huge problem at Nebraska. Zac Lee did it, never fixed it. Cody Green did it, never fixed it. Taylor Martinez did it, never fixed it. And now Tommy Armstrong has fallen victim to it.

I don't know, maybe its a mobile QB mindset where they believe they don't have to see the whole field because if the pass isn't there on one side, they can just run.

No. Three more practices with this staff could really set us back heading into next year. This is one case where less is more.

We just went head-to-head with the number 3 team in the country. Three weeks ago we beat a top ten team. What the hell do you want?

Miami: Rallied in the 4th quarter to force OT. Throw an INT on the first play of OT, with a bonus unsportsmanlike penalty to essentially give Miami the win.

Illinois: Led 13-7 with :55 left. No timeouts for Illinois and Tommy is given the option to pass, which he so happily complies with, throwing an incomplete pass to an albeit open Devine Ozigbo. Given the sieve the secondary was at that point, Nebraska was bound to give up the big pass play, and they did, and lost 14-13.

Wisconsin: Led 21-20 after Wisconsin missed a FG with 1:30 left. Wisconsin has all 3 timeouts, and Nebraska runs 3 uncreative totally predictable plays up the middle, running a total of :25 off the clock. Given the sieve the secondary was at that point, Nebraska was bound to give up enough plays to put Wisconsin back into field goal range, which they did. Wisconsin hits a FG and wins 23-21

Northwestern: Held the ball for almost 18 more minutes (note: football's a 60 minute game), ran 30 more plays than Northwestern who was playing a true freshman QB and had just gotten beaten senseless by Michigan and Iowa. Lose 30-28.

Purdue: Going up against the worst run defense in the Big Ten with a backup QB, Nebraska throws the ball an astounding, mind-boggling 55 times in a 55-45 loss, which required a 4th quarter rally after being down 42-16.

Iowa: Nebraska ran 39 more plays against the Hawkeyes today and held the ball for 13 more minutes (note: football's a 60 minute game). In a windy day, Nebraska scored just 3 points when going against the win and held Iowa, a team who had excelled on 3rd down ALL SEASON LONG to 0/8 on 3rd down. But no, 4 interceptions from Tommy Armstrong quelled any chance of another Nebraska upset.

Yahtzee, common denominator = TA....

Reaction is not always over-reaction.

TA is a run first QB, who's drive/competitiveness thinks he can be a passers.

I said this last year and nothing has changed... 15 to 20 throws or less TA is my guy. Anything else your just asking him to be something he is not.

My overreaction: competitive drive never = leadership.

• Fire 2

Man, does the press just love to lob easy questions to Riley or what?

Here's a real question: "Coach, can you explain who made the call on the 4th-and-1 to have Tommy in the shotgun, instead of at the line, and why a pass play, and not a run play, was called?"

I have a feeling Riley would have spewed the exact same lame-ass answer, but still. Have some balls.

post-11734-0-95606800-1448669882.png

That question probably wasn't asked because the picture above answers it perfectly.

If he could win by heart alone, he'd be one of the best. But his mechanics are shakey and I'm afraid that at this point in his career he may never be able to overcome them.

The weird thing is, from everything I know, Tommy doesn't have these crappy mechanics in practice which is what absolutely frustrates the coaching staff. Put him in a full scrimmage, or an actual game, and Tommy resorts to terribly bad habits.

It sort of reminds me of Taylor Martinez 'changing' his throwing motion. It looked differently in the summer, and fall practices. But the minute those lights came on and the real games were played, Taylor went back to those horrific throwing mechanics he always had.

Exactly, bench him or move him to another position. Maybe defense. Practice is key, but delivering under pressure is key when playing QB. Like a gun shy hunting dog...

Reaction is not always over-reaction.

TA is a run first QB, who's drive/competitiveness thinks he can be a passers.

I said this last year and nothing has changed... 15 to 20 throws or less TA is my guy. Anything else your just asking him to be something he is not.

My overreaction: competitive drive never = leadership.

+100000000000

Sad to say, good teams win all of those games.

There was very little difference in the talent level of the two teams. We will have talent next year again... with more time in the system.

My heart goes out to the seniors. This is the last regular season game of their lives... for most of them . They spent the majority of their lives to achieve the chance to play football at a high level. Now they will go into the world without sports. Thanks to all of them for their hard work and dedication. May their dreams after football be fulfilled.

We hardly knew ya. Godspeed

I'm not happy with today's play, either and I don't want to be labeled a sunshine pumper BUT we lost by a crummy 8 points to a top 5 team. That's the facts. It's been a lousy season but it's not the hopeless quagmire that some of you make it out to be. There are glimmers of hope. What upsets me the most? Is that we could have won today, with this team. Once again, we took ourselves out of contention. So. Yea I'm upset but I'm also not pessimistic.