Overtime: Iowa Post-game Overreaction

I hate this staff. Everytime I see MR get up after these losses and chuckle over all the f*@k-ups , bad play calls, and mismanagement of the game I want to slap the crap out his wrinkly, old ass. He danced around and shuffled his papers tonight at the podium like he was doing the "gotta potty" dance. So sick of seeing him wandering up and down the sideline like a dementia patient, did he need the notes for the press conference because he doesn't pay attention to the damn game? I know people didn't want the "raving lunatic" coach but di we have to go full blown pu$$y? Did we...really?

Langsderp... 4th &1 fade pass?...Why is he even on the sideline? Is he holding TA's coat? I never see him "coaching 'em up" after all the colossal brain farts. If he had no intention to work on TA then act like you got a pair and BENCH HIM. On the other hand, the QB guru still can't teach him not to throw from a pigeon toed stance after a year of practices so what does that say for his "coaching abilities. I hope the lawn service guy is banging his wife.

Read?... pretty evident he's conned Riley into believing he's really a coach.

Banker's defense is awesome...at least when he's facing OC's dumb enough to bang their head against his obvious schemes. Thank you sweet baby Jesus for not making us have to play OSU, Michigan, or any Big 12 team.

I don't know where folks are seeing "improvement". Record? Penalties? Turnovers? No, no, no. The patient is brain-dead, time to start farming out the organs. Bowl game?!?!? Can you really think of a team out there you'd feel good about playing? No thanks, I've had my fill for a year.

There is plenty of improvement, penalties have gone down, turnovers were only on our Qb, the defense is better, much better. Recruiting is MUCH better. The future is bright at DONU!

It was a good game. NU looked good, but was undone by penalties and a curiously bad game by Armstrong. Nevertheless, they held their own against the #3 team in the country . . . and it says a lot about this team when many expected NU--despite it's W/L record--to beat the undefeated Hawkeyes. I'm hoping the Huskers get a bowl appearance.

nothing curious about Armstrong's sh#t play, he just slings the ball out there and hopes.

Can't really blame the players, the coaches have been inventing ways to lose all season

Tommy has been finding ways to lose games all season.

Thank you! TA is the reason for us not making a bowl let alone not playing for the B1G title. Like another poster said, if we had a Zac Lee type, then we would have won twice as many games just by not committing so many dumb turnovers.

I thought I would never see something as stupid as the Illinois game again in the same year, and then we get the fourth and 1 fade route

Stupid is as stupid does!

Watch the play again, there were three guys open for the first down, it was all TA and his dumb decision making that caused him to throw the fade route.

I hate this staff. Everytime I see MR get up after these losses and chuckle over all the f*@k-ups , bad play calls, and mismanagement of the game I want to slap the crap out his wrinkly, old ass. He danced around and shuffled his papers tonight at the podium like he was doing the "gotta potty" dance. So sick of seeing him wandering up and down the sideline like a dementia patient, did he need the notes for the press conference because he doesn't pay attention to the damn game? I know people didn't want the "raving lunatic" coach but di we have to go full blown pu$$y? Did we...really?

Langsderp... 4th &1 fade pass?...Why is he even on the sideline? Is he holding TA's coat? I never see him "coaching 'em up" after all the colossal brain farts. If he had no intention to work on TA then act like you got a pair and BENCH HIM. On the other hand, the QB guru still can't teach him not to throw from a pigeon toed stance after a year of practices so what does that say for his "coaching abilities. I hope the lawn service guy is banging his wife.

Read?... pretty evident he's conned Riley into believing he's really a coach.

Banker's defense is awesome...at least when he's facing OC's dumb enough to bang their head against his obvious schemes. Thank you sweet baby Jesus for not making us have to play OSU, Michigan, or any Big 12 team.

I don't know where folks are seeing "improvement". Record? Penalties? Turnovers? No, no, no. The patient is brain-dead, time to start farming out the organs. Bowl game?!?!? Can you really think of a team out there you'd feel good about playing? No thanks, I've had my fill for a year.

i guess steady improvement was 4 pics thrown by Tommie?........WTF??????????? where's the damn coaching???????????

You get the feeling Riley knows what he has in TA. A great athlete but bad decision maker. I'm sure that stuff has been drilled into his head, but he just doesn't get it.

I remember Riley in spring or fall camp raving about how Bush was coachable and didn't repeat mistakes after being corrected the first time. That was probably in comparison to other QBs on the team. Tough position for the new coaches. Imagine the uproar by the fans and reaction by the team if they went with someone besides TA.

I got money on TA starting as a senior

Seriously? It's possible, I suppose, but it looks unlikely.

3 year starter beating out a true frosh. It does sound highly unlikely.

The QB spot is unique and critical to an offense . . . look at the difference a QB change made for Iowa this year! Honestly, there have been some games this season that TA's shortcomings have created losses. One could easily argue that TA alone lost the game with Iowa . . . but, that's football sometimes. We'll see what the fall brings, I guess, but I'm fairly certain TA won't be the starting QB at the end of next season.

You described the word 'plausible'. A true frosh replacing even a three year starter is plausible, under the right circumstances. However, I would warn anybody that it is very common for coaches to stay with experience, especially at the QB position.

The most important thing is not to treat O'Brien unfairly because of one's opinion of Armstrong.

I got money on TA starting as a senior

Seriously? It's possible, I suppose, but it looks unlikely.

3 year starter beating out a true frosh. It does sound highly unlikely.

The QB spot is unique and critical to an offense . . . look at the difference a QB change made for Iowa this year! Honestly, there have been some games this season that TA's shortcomings have created losses. One could easily argue that TA alone lost the game with Iowa . . . but, that's football sometimes. We'll see what the fall brings, I guess, but I'm fairly certain TA won't be the starting QB at the end of next season.

You described the word 'plausible'. A true frosh replacing even a three year starter is plausible, under the right circumstances. However, I would warn anybody that it is very common for coaches to stay with experience, especially at the QB position.

The most important thing is not to treat O'Brien unfairly because of one's opinion of Armstrong.

From what I've read about some problems that TA has had with coaching relationships, though, it may be that experience might not be enough to ensure his job. He has to want to succeed, and he has to understand how other people are important for attaining that goal. He cannot simply blow off coaching--next year, these coaches will not be as forgiving of these players as they were in the first year. That's my story, and thanks for reading!

I thought I would never see something as stupid as the Illinois game again in the same year, and then we get the fourth and 1 fade route

Watch the play again, there were three guys open for the first down, it was all TA and his dumb decision making that caused him to throw the fade route.

The fade is always covered. It's a matchup route where you put the ball up and have your guy beat out the other guy for the catch. It is also a quick play. QB gets the snap, takes a step drop and lobs it up. It's usually seen ran on downs 1-3 and I can't remember if I've ever seen it on 4th and 1 with the game on the line.

The QB can't look to the fade, check down, then go back to the fade. Which would explain why the other receivers weren't even looked at. If there is a fade route called and it's the initial read, and it's single (press) coverage...a fade is getting thrown.

The questions that should be asked are:

1. Why are we not kicking a short FG to cut it to a one possession game with the amount of time left?

2. If we are going for it why are we putting it in the air when he has struggled all day with accuracy. (hell, he might have overshot Carter for all we know).

3. If we ARE going to put it in the air why would any of the receivers be running a fade route. And why would you run a fade route if that is the first read expecting him to check down? Supposedly he couldn't do it against illinois when he threw the ball on a run/throw option.

Tommy was bad but as bad as he was we were still in a position to cut it to a one possession game towards the end. The coaches and that ridiculous fade call all but assured that wouldn't be a problem. It's not even a bad call. It's a completely unacceptable call. One of the dumbest calls I've seen this season....a season littered with them.

• Fire 3

The fade is always covered. It's a matchup route where you put the ball up and have your guy beat out the other guy for the catch. It is also a quick play. QB gets the snap, takes a step drop and lobs it up. It's usually seen ran on downs 1-3 and I can't remember if I've ever seen it on 4th and 1 with the game on the line.

The QB can't look to the fade, check down, then go back to the fade. Which would explain why the other receivers weren't even looked at. If there is a fade route called and it's the initial read, and it's single (press) coverage...a fade is getting thrown.

1. Why are we not kicking a short FG to cut it to a one possession game with the amount of time left?

2. If we are going for it why are we putting it in the air when he has struggled all day with accuracy. (hell, he might have overshot Carter for all we know).

3. If we ARE going to put it in the air why would any of the receivers be running a fade route. And why would you run a fade route if that is the first read expecting him to check down? Supposedly he couldn't do it against illinois when he threw the ball on a run/throw option.

Tommy was bad but as bad as he was we were still in a position to cut it to a one possession game towards the end. The coaches and that ridiculous fade call all but assured that wouldn't be a problem. It's not even a bad call. It's a completely unacceptable call. One of the dumbest calls I've seen this season....a season littered with them.

You don't know that they called the fade route? That's just the one Tommy chose to throw, he had better options.

You don't know that they called the fade route? That's just the one Tommy chose to throw, he had better options.

I do. Because that is exactly what was thrown.

And if it wasn't a fade route, why was he running a fade route? Like I said earlier, that is the primary read because you can't go back to it after scanning the field. If he was supposed to throw elsewhere, the fade route is a completely useless route for the WR to be running at all.

• Fire 1