Offseason Changes

SECHusker

Gotta say that the defense kept us in the game yesterday and has greatly improved over the last few games so we may be ok there. Having a quarterback who makes better choices would have kept us competative in that game. Defense does need some work for sure, but having that game changing quarterback is crucial.

Correct, the defense greatly improved as the year went and did keep is in the game till Gerry was ejected.

I thought they played pretty dang well yesterday against a top 5 team. Only giving up 250 yards sucks?

it doesn't suck, but we didn't force turnovers and still gave up big plays.

The defense gave up 21 points while NU's offense only scored 20. I would say the defense didn't play well enough to win the game.

Perhaps that just means the offense didn't play well enough to win the game? We all know which side of the ball lost the game, or we at least can't blame the defense for losing the game.

Give me an All-American quarterback and everything is fixed.

My second option would be....Give me a first team all B1G quarterback and everything is fixed.

That's all I have to say.

An All-American QB will fix the defense too? Damn!

Defense played pretty stout the last 2 games. Always room for improvement, and I think there is loads of room to improve, but they've been playing pretty good.

Well it obviously doesn't take an All American to be 12-0.

Iowa is proof of that.

Iowa is proof that any decent team can go 12-0 with a patty-cake schedule. They won the games that they needed to. They won the games they were supposed to. That doesn't always happen, but what happened, should have happened.

Why taylor at RB? What has he done? What about Cross?

Cross not here next year, homie.

Serious question because I haven't been following the season closely this year. What's the deal with Oz? Where's he been?

Ozigbo? He gets a little playing time, makes a few nice runs, and looks like he should get more carries. Then he doesn't sniff the field in the last few games.

Serious question because I haven't been following the season closely this year. What's the deal with Oz? Where's he been?

Ozigbo? He gets a little playing time, makes a few nice runs, and looks like he should get more carries. Then he doesn't sniff the field in the last few games.

That's what I'm wondering about. Does he make a push for the starting spot next year over Newby? I haven't been impressed with Newby.

Ozigbo and Wilbon were wasted commodities this year.

I'm sure Wilbon will transfer. Why would you stay on a team if you know the coaches have no interest in playing you?

That's what I'm wondering about. Does he make a push for the starting spot next year over Newby? I haven't been impressed with Newby.

Who knows with this staff. I don't know what their criteria are for who starts at what position.

We don't know the reasons why some players play and others don't beyond what we see on the field when the actually do play! It could be something as simple as not keeping up with the grades or classes. We sometimes forget they are student athletes and not just football players. Though, that is partly the coaching as well. We all know that during the fall semester, the players should be all signed up in the absolute minimum credit hours in courses that are specially designed to NOT have much learning or testing or homework or attendance required. LOL

Next year, we need to get careful, prudent, confident QB play. If Tommy A is to be that QB, he is going to have to change dramatically. It is very doubtful he can make a complete transformation. He is a dynamic player without question but his errors are too costly to ignore or to simply accept because his athleticism somehow outweighs them.

Unfortunately, our only look at another QB was Fyfe and he made similar INT mistakes as well. The QB race needs to be opened up for sure. If Obrien is anywhere close to beiing a strong second string, you go into game 1 with the plan to get him atleast 10 snaps in each half of each of the non conference games, win or lose. We have got to build for the future. Rebuilding, year after year, is not a long term program. We have tried the play the remarkable athlete at the QB spot and let him grow into the job experiment with TMart and TommyA. Neither grew into the job. Both slipped back as much as they moved forward.

st

Staff Changes: As for staff changes, I am not sure I'd make hiring/firing changes really. Yes, we saw many disappointments early on in the defense and some very disappointing playcalling about a dozen or so times this year at critical times. But, we are becoming unpredictable and that is good, sometimes. We are not finding a good rhythm on offense but I believe the biggest contributor to this is inconsistent QB play. If we get a solid, minimum error, QB with average throwing and pocket presence skills, we will be pretty good on offense. I believe, based on his statistics, etc, that Obrien is going to be the best QB recruit we have had in Lincoln since Osborne retired. He has tremendous upside potential. He is the epitome of a "Riley" pro style QB in size, arm, passing skills, etc. Riley has found 'his' QB. Give him a chance to use him. Riley got the RB from St Louis that I believe is the real deal and will be excellent. He is the likely starter next fall as well.

Special Teams: I want to see more creativity in the special teams with much better returns especially. I am not sure we really 'won' the special teams at all this year in any one game. Brown has got the field goal kicking under control but somehow lost his ability to kick the ball deep on kick offs. Not sure how to explain that one. We have a great kicker recruit on the line and if we can get him, the future should be solid there. I would suggest we find a rugby or specialty type punter who can spice up the punt game. Our punting was good but not great this year and we need great. Special teams were not 'special' and they must be. Special teams is ONE THIRD of the team. It must win most of the time if we are to be a great team again.

Offense: We threw the ball too much as most on here agree. We need to average 10 less passes and 10 more runs to get the in the right general balance/mix. We need to USE the fullback more and even consider about 8 snaps a game out of a full house backfield with FB and two tail backs (wish bone or other similar true run formations). We don't have to run the QB with Obrien but he must be able to scramble around and be willing and actually run for 2 first downs each and every game at a minimum. receivers as a group are super and we are recruting the right ones to add even more skill there. We are loaded there. RB is rather tough. I love the RB from St Lous and I would be thrilled if we found a JUCO RB to come in and help right away as well. We need two. I would evaluate our present group for position changes such as to linebacker. Hopefully they have adequate speed to play a LB spot. Not sure if they are fast enough for Safety but ? Give them all a close look. We need another great FB from Columbus or Grand island or someplace to get in there. O Line is always in need of more big boys with heart and a nasty streak. Find them. Pay em. Whatever it takes to get them in to Lincoln ASAP.

Ozigbo and Wilbon were wasted commodities this year.

I'm sure Wilbon will transfer. Why would you stay on a team if you know the coaches have no interest in playing you?

Doesn't seem like it...