Defending the firing or defending the coach

lo country

Dont like the staff, but firing after one year isn't a real option IMO. I just want to see some adjustments to use the talent we have. I think Hedley makes some good points and I think our receiving corps is going to be fantastic. But unless the game management, bad penalties and turnovers change I dont know how much it will matter. A top 15 recruiting class would go a long way to making me more optimistic especially if it included a good edge pass rusher

Reading these pro-Riley posts are giving me flashbacks to the past 10 years. Here are a few things you have learned/will learn about Riley and Co.

1. He will start slow every year and lose games he should not

2. He will win 1 game a year that is unexpected.

3. Bankers defense can work against pro style offenses

4. Bankers defense does not work against spread offenses/mobile qb's.

5. It takes at least 2 years for good qb's to look decent in Riley's offense

Watching Nebraska's year from afar has been exactly like watching the last 10+ years at OSU. Now watching the post season reaction from fans is equally similar. The potential from incoming recruits keeps you thinking that next year will be better. Sorry to say, each season is eerily similar. Some years you catch breaks and end 8-4, other years not and you end up 5-7.

Reading these pro-Riley posts are giving me flashbacks to the past 10 years. Here are a few things you have learned/will learn about Riley and Co.

Watching Nebraska's year from afar has been exactly like watching the last 10+ years at OSU. Now watching the post season reaction from fans is equally similar. The potential from incoming recruits keeps you thinking that next year will be better. Sorry to say, each season is eerily similar. Some years you catch breaks and end 8-4, other years not and you end up 5-7.

Hip hip....

He is,was and always will be a helluva nice guy. He is,was and always will be a below average coach and I wish people would stop saying when he gets "his" guys it will be different. When he had "his" guys "his" teams sucked more often than not. By the time "his" guys get here he will be riding off into the sunset with a boatload of cash and collecting social security.

It remains to be seen if this will work out. To me its's quite simple, Eichorst isn't going pull the rug out from his hire and the powers above Eichorst aren't ready to can him. So we can sit here all day and argue, but it's pointless. Piggy backing off that, firing a coach less than 12 months into his tenure doesn't help the long term hiring prospects of another coach. We have the stink of the past two firings(not including BC), so cutting and running at this point eliminates top candidates down the line.

I'm sorry but I have and will continue to doubt this hire as long as Banker is on this staff. Beaver fans have been screaming for his head for years. "improvement" the last two games is a shaky term. They did what they should against a God awful Rutgers team, whose best player played at about 40%, and against an Iowa team that it's far from scary they played okay. However, even before Gerry was tossed there was confusion throughout the defense.

Between Banker, Hughes and Stewart there it's so much left to be desired. They never progressed throughout the year, never made adjustments that they said could help the team (ie Daniel Davie before the Miami game), never could disguise a blitz, the thought process of why rushing only three against BYU was the only logical option, making crap QBs look like the second coming of Peyton Manning, did they ever run a dline stunt this year while continuing to rush only four?, and to continue to run a system that had been getting trashed for years and feeling no need for self searching on this concept ware all things that have led to this crap show unit.

Add to the fact only Bray is the only coach on that side of the ball that shows a pulse on the recruiting trail, leads my continual belief that as long as the head clown Banker is here, three Blackshirts will be a joke, which will directly result in continual typical Mike Riley .500 seasons

• Fire 2

I'm for him having a little more time. Schematically our passing game is extremely good. We have great route combinations that result in guys running wide open. We need a QB capable of making these progressions and we would have a completely different type of year.

Defense has dramatically improved by years end. We seem to have found a few CBs that can handle their own. Our LBs are young and will improve and our DL will be stout next season as well.

Offensively we just need a QB who can make smart decisions and we will be damn good IMO

I love this post so much, people are ignoring the fact that we just played the no. 4 team in the country and were basically a QB away from winning...and still only lost by 8. If we had done this against Michigan State and not Iowa people would be acting a lot more optimistically right now.

• Fire 2

I'm sorry but I have and will continue to doubt this hire as long as Banker is on this staff. Beaver fans have been screaming for his head for years. "improvement" the last two games is a shaky term. They did what they should against a God awful Rutgers team, whose best player played at about 40%, and against an Iowa team that it's far from scary they played okay. However, even before Gerry was tossed there was confusion throughout the defense.

Between Banker, Hughes and Stewart there it's so much left to be desired. They never progressed throughout the year, never made adjustments that they said could help the team (ie Daniel Davie before the Miami game), never could disguise a blitz, the thought process of why rushing only three against BYU was the only logical option, making crap QBs look like the second coming of Peyton Manning, did they ever run a dline stunt this year while continuing to rush only four?, and to continue to run a system that had been getting trashed for years and feeling no need for self searching on this concept ware all things that have led to this crap show unit.

Add to the fact only Bray is the only coach on that side of the ball that shows a pulse on the recruiting trail, leads my continual belief that as long as the head clown Banker is here, three Blackshirts will be a joke, which will directly result in continual typical Mike Riley .500 seasons

Less two defensive breakdowns, the defense is the only thing that kept us in the game. Seriously, they didn't convert a 3rd down and came into the game converting 47%. I'm also not sure you can compare the anemic pass rush of early on to what we've seen the last three games. We've also seen adjustments to the starters at CB. I'm no Banker fan, but I'll give credit where credit is due.

Also look at our lead recruiter on any of the DB recruits, it's Brian Stewart. The lack of Dline prospects is troubling, however.

Hip hip....

This is so true...So true and so very sad to think about

Will Defend MR.

Definitely a tough year that didn't go the way anyone wanted but it wasn't a total disaster.

Had a solid win over Michigan State.

Defense showed improvement over the year and Banker deserves a ton of credit.

Offense looked very good at times but obviously don't have all the pieces in place.

I am willing to give Riley 2-3 years to get the personnel into the program to see if his system can work. I saw a lot of positives and I liked the fight and poise the team showed throughout the year especially once the bottom fell out against Purdue.

Firing a coach after one season is not the right move barring a total catastrophe or major violation. Riley showed some positives and should at least be given the chance to get his system into place.

• Fire 1

I'm for him having a little more time. Schematically our passing game is extremely good. We have great route combinations that result in guys running wide open. We need a QB capable of making these progressions and we would have a completely different type of year.

Defense has dramatically improved by years end. We seem to have found a few CBs that can handle their own. Our LBs are young and will improve and our DL will be stout next season as well.

Offensively we just need a QB who can make smart decisions and we will be damn good IMO

Not a fan of Riley, but you make some very valid points. Was hoping to see more "facts" and less emotion.

After seeing still photos of open receivers just standing there, it is tempting to imagine an O that has a QB who can make and progress reads. The D has improved. I think Banker is the reason. Not Stewart IMO. Banker at least has some entertatingin quotes at every presser.

If we continue to pass, I would love to see Riley reach out to David Shaw and learn that O, maybe even try and hire away Bloomgren to be our OC. Just not a fan of Langs. Love Stanfords power run game. (we need to recruit OL)

So, you agree that the scheme is good enough to get receivers wide open but you want to change the scheme. Interesting.

I like the plays that are in the play book in both passing and running the ball. It lets the QB distribute the ball to everyone.

Will Defend MR.

Definitely a tough year that didn't go the way anyone wanted but it wasn't a total disaster.

Had a solid win over Michigan State.

Defense showed improvement over the year and Banker deserves a ton of credit.

Offense looked very good at times but obviously don't have all the pieces in place.

I am willing to give Riley 2-3 years to get the personnel into the program to see if his system can work. I saw a lot of positives and I liked the fight and poise the team showed throughout the year especially once the bottom fell out against Purdue.

Firing a coach after one season is not the right move barring a total catastrophe or major violation. Riley showed some positives and should at least be given the chance to get his system into place.

dude, we have major probs on offense..... turn the ball over (thanks Tommie) multiple times, have no versatile running backs, (that we know of) ........got lucky against MSU.......piss poor play calling by MR.

5-7 is not a reason to be hopeful, it tells you the coaches have a ton of work to do.

For the love of God people, wake up and smell the roses. Last year, when Mike Riley was hired, almost everyone from Oregon State told us what to expect. A 0.500 type of season with may be one surprising win against a ranked opponent. That is exactly what we got. And that is exactly what we will continue to get with this coaching staff. How will this ever change if it hasn't over Mike Riley's very long career? It will be more of the same sh#t next year and they will say that the team has not adjusted to POB or he is still learning the system or some other crap excuse that people here seem to eat up like it were vitamins.

And for those who say we were not blown out in any game, newsflash, having a 2-10 Purdue team hang 55 points on us is a Blow Out and a huge embarrassment given the fact that Purdue did not score more than 35 points in any other game and have not beaten any other Big 10 team. There are more than six first year coaches that did wonders with their teams. This coach is supposedly experienced and not a 35 year old coach at the beginning of his career. These results are unacceptable and people who make excuses or want these coaches to have another year hoping for a chmapionship run next year are dillusional and need serious medication.

The sooner we end this experiment the better. However, I am smart enough to know that nothing will change and this coaching staff will have at least one to two years of this sh**ty performance and at that point, Riley will retire with a nicely financed bank account, chewing his gum all the way to Hawaii, while the state of Nebraska attempts to pick up the shattered pieces. At that point, we would have slipped so far into irrelevance that the way back will be nothing short of a miracle. This is the reality and anything else is a bunch of rainbows and unicorns.

Having said that, I will always bleed Husker Red and I will hope that my beloved Huskers win every game.

That pretty much says it all. You are spot on. I have wondered the same things. This coach and his staff are who they are now, and who they will be 2,3, 4, years down the road.

I hope the AD makes another quick decision after next season, and gives himself some time to find a coach with a better proven record, than this bunch.

Nice guys don't always finish last, but this group may be the exception.

GBR!!!

Not a fan of Riley, but you make some very valid points. Was hoping to see more "facts" and less emotion.

After seeing still photos of open receivers just standing there, it is tempting to imagine an O that has a QB who can make and progress reads. The D has improved. I think Banker is the reason. Not Stewart IMO. Banker at least has some entertatingin quotes at every presser.

If we continue to pass, I would love to see Riley reach out to David Shaw and learn that O, maybe even try and hire away Bloomgren to be our OC. Just not a fan of Langs. Love Stanfords power run game. (we need to recruit OL)

So, you agree that the scheme is good enough to get receivers wide open but you want to change the scheme. Interesting.

I like the plays that are in the play book in both passing and running the ball. It lets the QB distribute the ball to everyone.

agree, Tommie does a great job just throwing balls up for pics.....his reception percentage would rise considerably if you included INT's!