Johnny Stanton

Tommy looking like he literally had no QB coaching at all....

Hearing the way Beck talked about what he wanted out of his QBs, I think that's probably right.

I like Beck as an asst coach, don't get me wrong -- I've always defended him as one of the assets on Bo's staff. But he basically espoused sandlot football. Just get the ball to the guy, etc, etc. Hear Langsdorf talk QBs and you can see the stark contrast in emphasis on fundamentals. They know they can't revolutionize a player's habits, but all the emphasis is on consistency, detail, etc.

Beck ran a very run-focused offense here at Nebraska, which was great, and fun to watch. Remember the '14 Miami game? The big failing was the lack of a QBs coach, a task Beck himself was not up to. That's how we got to the state of the QB room this year, where coaches were scared witless of anything happening to Tommy all year long, even for as mistake prone as he was.

• Fire 1

One staff played him as a redshirt freshman. Another staff wasn't going to have him on the 105 man fall roster. I don't think those two are analogous.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this level of scrutiny for Riley.

Stanton had two years under the coaches who recruited him here and was buried on the depth chart. He saw garbage time action in two games and completed one pass. He was going nowhere fast at Nebraska, and had he stayed, that would have most likely continued. Deciding it wasn't working quickly seems to have been the best thing for both sides.

I guess you can call it scrutiny if you want. It is simply the facts of what happened.

I don't know if you can say he was buried on the depth chart under the old staff. He looked to be third string as a redshirt freshman. Then after 15 practices he was 5th or 6th string depending on how you view Broekmeir and not even going to be invited to fall camp. Perhaps that's what he performance deserved but he wasn't in the same place on the depth chart.

Neither staff had him as a viable option. The old staff had him third on the depth chart after an entire redshirt season behind a QB who constantly throws INTs (Armstrong) and another that hasn't proven to anyone he is better than the one throwing INTs because he does the same thing (Fyfe). The new staff comes in. They know each other well due to being heavily recruited by them. They have 15 practices with him and view that he isn't even a viable option to come to fall camp.

There now have been quite a few coaches who have worked with him here and it just didn't work out. I like the guy and hope he has great success at UNLV. I think he is a real class act. I have no idea why it didn't work out here. I was extremely excited about him when he came in. But, it just didn't work out with two different staffs.

I still fail to see how our current staff is just horrible due to the fact he didn't work out and transferred.

I think this is where you get hung up a lot. You insist that anything the slightest bit critical - and I wasn't even being critical here - is akin to calling the current staff "horrible." Prevents you from really seeing the larger picture.

Hey...I'm more than willing to be critical of any staff. (as long a it's not just constant hate based on nothing other than not liking the hire)

But, I just don't understand the basis of being critical of this staff in this case. They knew how good he was in HS since they heavily recruited him. They then see him in 15 practices in the Spring and determine that he isn't good enough for the 105 man roster for fall camp.

I fail to see where a valid criticism comes in.

I wasn't being critical of the staff. I was stating the facts of what happened. That you took it as being critical is indicative that you take anything you deem as being critical as the other person thinking this staff is "terrible."

If Stanton was so amazingly awesome, why did he go to unlv? Did he not have any other major offers?

Let's blow up this argument into a billion little pieces by way of substitution:

QUESTION: "If Danny Woodhead is so amazingly awesome, why did he go to Chadron State? Didn't he have any other major offers?"

ANSWER: Because sometimes 180 different college coaches don't put down the tape measure, clipboard, and the recruiting star charts long enough to see what is actually in front of them. Yes, conventional wisdom sometimes lacks the "wisdom" part, and it is possible for everybody can come up with the wrong answer at the same time.

By the way, congratulations to Danny Woodhead on his three touchdown effort in the NFL today. Maybe Stanton can play at that level, maybe not, but at least he's getting his chance.

• Fire 1

If Stanton was so amazingly awesome, why did he go to unlv? Did he not have any other major offers?

Let's blow up this argument into a billion little pieces by way of substitution:

QUESTION: "If Danny Woodhead is so amazingly awesome, why did he go to Chadron State? Didn't he have any other major offers?"

ANSWER: Because sometimes 180 different college coaches don't put down the tape measure, clipboard, and the recruiting star charts long enough to see what is actually in front of them. Yes, conventional wisdom sometimes lacks the "wisdom" part, and it is possible for everybody can come up with the wrong answer at the same time.

By the way, congratulations to Danny Woodhead on his three touchdown effort in the NFL today. Maybe Stanton can play at that level, maybe not, but at least he's getting his chance.

Comparing Stanton to Woodhead is laughable. Woodhead was an undersized 0* from western Nebraska with no D1 offers. Stanton was a 3/4* from So Cal with multiple D1 offers.

Any D1 team with an immediate need at QB would be scouring the jucos. It's interesting that no one else offered. It's not a knock on Johnny, it's just a fact.

• Fire 1

I wish him well in the future whatever that may be.

A co-worker of mine has a son that is a receiver at Saddleback. She sat next to the Stanton family during a game. Said they had nothing but praise for the U of N.

Nice to hear that from people that don't receive any benefit from it.

GBR

• Fire 1

Any D1 team with an immediate need at QB would be scouring the jucos.

Most D1 coaches scouring the jucos for a good quarterback might have problems recognizing talent in the first place...that's why they are scouring the jucos.

If a lot of coaches were wrong about Woodhead, then some coaches might be wrong about Stanton and his story might be the same as Garret Gilbert of Texas.

I just don't buy into the mantra, "If he was any good, somebody would have recruited him!", as if it is an infallible process.

Any D1 team with an immediate need at QB would be scouring the jucos.

Most D1 coaches scouring the jucos for a good quarterback might have problems recognizing talent in the first place...that's why they are scouring the jucos.

If a lot of coaches were wrong about Woodhead, then some coaches might be wrong about Stanton and his story might be the same as Garret Gilbert of Texas.

I just don't buy into the mantra, "If he was any good, somebody would have recruited him!", as if it is an infallible process.

Woodhead is an anomaly. Players of his caliber don't normally get overlooked. Kinda like Don Beebe, an All Pro that played at Chadron St.

Coaches might be scouring the JUCOs because of injury, or attrition. I think in most cases we can look to see who all recruited someone to help determine talent level. If lots of top schools extend offers then it's a pretty good bet that kid is a good player. If it's mostly lower tier schools sending offers, I think we can usually draw conclusions from those things.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rules, but exceptions don't change the rules.

It takes talent to recognize talent. And also talent to know how to develop talent. Everyone needs some coaching or at least experience to reach their potential, in any field.

It seems to me that Johnny Stanton's biggest problem at UN was a lack of conditioning. His first game at Saddleback was terrible. He looked like he hadn't played football in years. But he seemed to have found his rhythm by the third game of the season. I felt he was playing very well there afterwards. He had good accuracy. He knew how to get rid of the ball when he didn't have targets. No interceptions his last 5 games. Saddleback was out classed in the championship. Johnny was sacked 4 times, but he never lost the ball and no interceptions. He did throw for 300+ yds and 2 TD and got away for a 34 yd run.

So back to Nebraska. What are we doing to get or keep our quarterback bench in shape while Tommy Armstrong is on the field? While I wish the best for Tommy, the quarterback is a very key and vulnerable position on any team.

• Fire 1

Comparing Stanton to Woodhead is laughable. Woodhead was an undersized 0* from western Nebraska with no D1 offers. Stanton was a 3/4* from So Cal with multiple D1 offers.

Any D1 team with an immediate need at QB would be scouring the jucos. It's interesting that no one else offered. It's not a knock on Johnny, it's just a fact.

IMO, the knee injury scared teams away

It takes talent to recognize talent. And also talent to know how to develop talent. Everyone needs some coaching or at least experience to reach their potential, in any field.

It seems to me that Johnny Stanton's biggest problem at UN was a lack of conditioning. His first game at Saddleback was terrible. He looked like he hadn't played football in years. But he seemed to have found his rhythm by the third game of the season. I felt he was playing very well there afterwards. He had good accuracy. He knew how to get rid of the ball when he didn't have targets. No interceptions his last 5 games. Saddleback was out classed in the championship. Johnny was sacked 4 times, but he never lost the ball and no interceptions. He did throw for 300+ yds and 2 TD and got away for a 34 yd run.

So back to Nebraska. What are we doing to get or keep our quarterback bench in shape while Tommy Armstrong is on the field? While I wish the best for Tommy, the quarterback is a very key and vulnerable position on any team.

I didn't watch Stanton this year but what you've said here mirrors what I've seen from others. I'm glad he's doing well and I hope his success continues.

We do need better quality depth at qb and I just figured that was probably why we didn't see many designed runs for Tommy this year. How many games did we want Fyfe starting? Fyfe throws a nice ball, but he throws it to the wrong guy to often.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Johnny Stanton