Johnny Stanton

Of course he is doing well...he is getting coached.

If Stanton was so amazingly awesome, why did he go to unlv? Did he not have any other major offers?

Really cool to bag on a kid who is able to attend a FBS school on a full ride scholarship and be around coaches he was comfortable with at Nebraska.

Funny how people will jump all over a post about a kid who now plays for another school, but they have no problem with the poster he was responding to who jumps into every thread to bag on the Huskers with posts like the one above. Funny that.

I guess we truly are the best fans in the world since we give more deference to other teams than our own team. /sarcasm

Sorry, I just don't think that Beck ever coached up Stanton...do you?

Hard to say. He didn't really stick around long enough for us to see much of him.

btw, I wasn't one of those calling for Beck's head last year either.

If Stanton was so amazingly awesome, why did he go to unlv? Did he not have any other major offers?

Really cool to bag on a kid who is able to attend a FBS school on a full ride scholarship and be around coaches he was comfortable with at Nebraska.

Funny how people will jump all over a post about a kid who now plays for another school, but they have no problem with the poster he was responding to who jumps into every thread to bag on the Huskers with posts like the one above. Funny that.

I guess we truly are the best fans in the world since we give more deference to other teams than our own team. /sarcasm

I bag on coaches more than anything. I try not to rail on the players too hard, because they just kids to me (yes, I am one that calls 18-22 year olds kids). Yeah, I have been hard on Gangwish this year, but that was more to poke at PowerT. Plus, I think that Gangwish has gotten "too much press" for a guy who is a pretty average DE.

If that rubs people the wrong way, so be it.

Fair enough. What really gets me are those Husker fans who cheer for us to lose in the hope that Riley will get fired You don't fall into this category. But there are some Husker fans who do. Cheering for us to lose. It just boggles the mind. :facepalm:

========================

Anyway, back on track: I wish Johnny Stanton all the best. I wish he would've stuck it out longer at Nebraska. I think we could have used him this year.

A bit tangential, but did you ever reach this point last year NU? I know personally I did. I feel the circumstances are a bit different, wanting a coach ousted after year seven as opposed to partway through year 1. But I know I wanted us to choke one away to Iowa to round out the year last year ONLY because there were the rumors swirling the outcome dictated Bo's future here. Obviously, it didn't matter.

Obviously, looking back now, I realize how disgusting all of that was. :lol:

• Fire 1

I bag on coaches more than anything. I try not to rail on the players too hard, because they just kids to me (yes, I am one that calls 18-22 year olds kids). Yeah, I have been hard on Gangwish this year, but that was more to poke at PowerT. Plus, I think that Gangwish has gotten "too much press" for a guy who is a pretty average DE.

If that rubs people the wrong way, so be it.

Fair enough. What really gets me are those Husker fans who cheer for us to lose in the hope that Riley will get fired You don't fall into this category. But there are some Husker fans who do. Cheering for us to lose. It just boggles the mind. :facepalm:

========================

Anyway, back on track: I wish Johnny Stanton all the best. I wish he would've stuck it out longer at Nebraska. I think we could have used him this year.

A bit tangential, but did you ever reach this point last year NU? I know personally I did. I feel the circumstances are a bit different, wanting a coach ousted after year seven as opposed to partway through year 1. But I know I wanted us to choke one away to Iowa to round out the year last year ONLY because there were the rumors swirling the outcome dictated Bo's future here. Obviously, it didn't matter.

Obviously, looking back now, I realize how disgusting all of that was. :sad:

Ha ha! No, I've never hoped that we would lose. To me that seems to defeat the point of being a fan. If I started to feel that way about a team I'd probly just step away and quit following them. I hope it never comes to that.

If Stanton has the upside that seems to be implied here, he wouldn't have one offer from UNLV.

I never bought into the "Well, if he was any good, someone would have snapped him up by now!" argument.

The only organization that offered Kurt Warner a job in 1994 was a Hy-Vee grocery store. That's 32 coaching staffs, 32 front offices, and umpteen pro scouts that couldn't / didn't recognize a future Hall of Famer.

Kurt Warner is an anomaly in that regard, but yeah...future Hall of Fame quarterback was working in a grocery store.

One staff played him as a redshirt freshman. Another staff wasn't going to have him on the 105 man fall roster. I don't think those two are analogous.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this level of scrutiny for Riley.

Stanton had two years under the coaches who recruited him here and was buried on the depth chart. He saw garbage time action in two games and completed one pass. He was going nowhere fast at Nebraska, and had he stayed, that would have most likely continued. Deciding it wasn't working quickly seems to have been the best thing for both sides.

I guess you can call it scrutiny if you want. It is simply the facts of what happened.

I don't know if you can say he was buried on the depth chart under the old staff. He looked to be third string as a redshirt freshman. Then after 15 practices he was 5th or 6th string depending on how you view Broekmeir and not even going to be invited to fall camp. Perhaps that's what he performance deserved but he wasn't in the same place on the depth chart.

Neither staff had him as a viable option. The old staff had him third on the depth chart after an entire redshirt season behind a QB who constantly throws INTs (Armstrong) and another that hasn't proven to anyone he is better than the one throwing INTs because he does the same thing (Fyfe). The new staff comes in. They know each other well due to being heavily recruited by them. They have 15 practices with him and view that he isn't even a viable option to come to fall camp.

There now have been quite a few coaches who have worked with him here and it just didn't work out. I like the guy and hope he has great success at UNLV. I think he is a real class act. I have no idea why it didn't work out here. I was extremely excited about him when he came in. But, it just didn't work out with two different staffs.

I still fail to see how our current staff is just horrible due to the fact he didn't work out and transferred.

I think this is where you get hung up a lot. You insist that anything the slightest bit critical - and I wasn't even being critical here - is akin to calling the current staff "horrible." Prevents you from really seeing the larger picture.

I’ve heard a lot of complaining about the quarterback position at Nebraska the past few years. My sense is that some people almost expect a kid out of high school to be fully formed. And if they don’t perform, then it must be their fault. So do we have a bunch of slacker quarterbacks? I don’t think so.

Consider USC for a moment. Yes, they have plenty of problems... But they’ve been solid at the quarterback position for 20 years. Matt Cassel spent his entire career at USC on the bench, yet he was able to enter the NFL after he graduated. And he is still playing (Cowboys). That tells me ‘SC has a very good training program for quarterbacks.

As a Californian, I know that Johnny Stanton is an excellent quarterback. He is as good if not better than the quarterbacks USC has recruited the past 20 years. He led his high school to the CA State Championship. And he’s is the reason why Saddleback College made it to the JC State Championship this year. They are basically a 5-5 team without Johnny.

His choice of UNLV might be influenced by his experience here. They’re not a very good team, but they’ll need a quarterback next year. I don’t believe he wants to spend any more time on the bench. I think that he was turning to rust at Nebraska. Here’s a link for his stats this year.

Click on both passing and rushing. He’s the leading rusher on the team.

http://saddleback.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/bios/stanton_johnny_sn7s?view=gamelog&pos=qb

I think he showed good improvement over the season. Consider that Saddleback has a very weak running game. And their one reliable receiver is usually double covered. Also notice no picks in the last 5 games.

Johnny Stanton has had some tough breaks in football. But hopefully things will turn around for him. He’s got talent and is a class act. And like everyone else, I wish him the best.

As for Nebraska, instead of blaming the players and looking for the next miracle wonder, maybe we should start asking the coaching staff just what are they doing to develop the talent we already have?

• Fire 3

I’ve heard a lot of complaining about the quarterback position at Nebraska the past few years. My sense is that some people almost expect a kid out of high school to be fully formed. And if they don’t perform, then it must be their fault. So do we have a bunch of slacker quarterbacks? I don’t think so.

Consider USC for a moment. Yes, they have plenty of problems... But they’ve been solid at the quarterback position for 20 years. Matt Cassel spent his entire career at USC on the bench, yet he was able to enter the NFL after he graduated. And he is still playing (Cowboys). That tells me ‘SC has a very good training program for quarterbacks.

As a Californian, I know that Johnny Stanton is an excellent quarterback. He is as good if not better than the quarterbacks USC has recruited the past 20 years. He led his high school to the CA State Championship. And he’s is the reason why Saddleback College made it to the JC State Championship this year. They are basically a 5-5 team without Johnny.

His choice of UNLV might be influenced by his experience here. They’re not a very good team, but they’ll need a quarterback next year. I don’t believe he wants to spend any more time on the bench. I think that he was turning to rust at Nebraska. Here’s a link for his stats this year.

Click on both passing and rushing. He’s the leading rusher on the team.

http://saddleback.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/bios/stanton_johnny_sn7s?view=gamelog&pos=qb

I think he showed good improvement over the season. Consider that Saddleback has a very weak running game. And their one reliable receiver is usually double covered. Also notice no picks in the last 5 games.

Johnny Stanton has had some tough breaks in football. But hopefully things will turn around for him. He’s got talent and is a class act. And like everyone else, I wish him the best.

As for Nebraska, instead of blaming the players and looking for the next miracle wonder, maybe we should start asking the coaching staff just what are they doing to develop the talent we already have?

That's the thing here. We don't have much. AJ Bush is Still a work in progress, Darlington lacks a solid arm and injury issues are a threat, and then we have Fyfe who threw four picks against Purdue. Tommy is the only option we have to score on a consistent basis but hasn't seemed to improve much outside of some long plays. We need a talent upgrade.

You can believe the bolded, but according to Rivals every USC QB recruit over the last 10 years has been higher ranked than Stanton, except for Jalen Green in 2014 (who was ranked the same as Stanton - #14 Dual QB).

USC QB Recruting the last 10 years

2005 - Mark Sanchez 5* #1 Pro QB

2006 - Garrett Green 3* #7 Dual QB

2007 - Aaron Corp 4* #3 Dual QB

2008 - no qb

2009 - Matt Barkley 5* #1 Pro QB

2010 - Jesse Scroggins 4* #5 Pro QB

2011 - Cody Kessler 4* #2 Pro QB

2011 - Max Wittek 4* #3 Pro QB

2012 - no qb

2013 - Max Browne 5* #1 Pro QB

2014 - Jalen Green 3* #14 Dual QB

2015 - Ricky Town 4* #5 Pro QB

2013 - Johnny Stanton - 3* #14 Dual QB

• Fire 1

I don't think you'll find much disagreement here. Beck was not know for his ability to develop QBs. He basically farmed out QB coaching to Ganz. I think that Watson is/was a better pure QB coach than Beck.

The jury is still out on Langsdorf at Nebraska. I hope that another offseason with Tommy will pay dividends in the fall.

• Fire 1

"You can believe the bolded, but according to Rivals every USC QB recruit over the last 10 years has been higher ranked than Stanton, except for Jalen Green in 2014 (who was ranked the same as Stanton - #14 Dual QB)."

You are forgetting that Johnny Stanton was sidelined with a torn ACL most of his senior year. That he ranked as high as #14 is very good when you take this into consideration. I'm sure if he had not got injured, he would have ranked much higher.

He was the driving force that won his high school the state championship in his junior year. Like at Saddleback, Santa Margerita was losing team before Johnny became quarterback and became a losing team again after he got injured. He played in the toughest division (Pac 5) and league (Trinity) in California. USC gets almost all of their quarterbacks from there.

• Fire 1

One staff played him as a redshirt freshman. Another staff wasn't going to have him on the 105 man fall roster. I don't think those two are analogous.

Stanton had two years under the coaches who recruited him here and was buried on the depth chart. He saw garbage time action in two games and completed one pass. He was going nowhere fast at Nebraska, and had he stayed, that would have most likely continued. Deciding it wasn't working quickly seems to have been the best thing for both sides.

I guess you can call it scrutiny if you want. It is simply the facts of what happened.

I don't know if you can say he was buried on the depth chart under the old staff. He looked to be third string as a redshirt freshman. Then after 15 practices he was 5th or 6th string depending on how you view Broekmeir and not even going to be invited to fall camp. Perhaps that's what he performance deserved but he wasn't in the same place on the depth chart.

Neither staff had him as a viable option. The old staff had him third on the depth chart after an entire redshirt season behind a QB who constantly throws INTs (Armstrong) and another that hasn't proven to anyone he is better than the one throwing INTs because he does the same thing (Fyfe). The new staff comes in. They know each other well due to being heavily recruited by them. They have 15 practices with him and view that he isn't even a viable option to come to fall camp.

There now have been quite a few coaches who have worked with him here and it just didn't work out. I like the guy and hope he has great success at UNLV. I think he is a real class act. I have no idea why it didn't work out here. I was extremely excited about him when he came in. But, it just didn't work out with two different staffs.

I still fail to see how our current staff is just horrible due to the fact he didn't work out and transferred.

I think this is where you get hung up a lot. You insist that anything the slightest bit critical - and I wasn't even being critical here - is akin to calling the current staff "horrible." Prevents you from really seeing the larger picture.

Hey...I'm more than willing to be critical of any staff. (as long a it's not just constant hate based on nothing other than not liking the hire)

But, I just don't understand the basis of being critical of this staff in this case. They knew how good he was in HS since they heavily recruited him. They then see him in 15 practices in the Spring and determine that he isn't good enough for the 105 man roster for fall camp.

I fail to see where a valid criticism comes in.

• Fire 3

Hey...I'm more than willing to be critical of any staff. (as long a it's not just constant hate based on nothing other than not liking the hire)

But, I just don't understand the basis of being critical of this staff in this case. They knew how good he was in HS since they heavily recruited him. They then see him in 15 practices in the Spring and determine that he isn't good enough for the 105 man roster for fall camp.

I fail to see where a valid criticism comes in.

Maybe after seeing all of the head scratching decisions this staff made this year some of those having to do with personnel???? Tommy looking like he literally had no QB coaching at all....

There's definitely some room for questioning/criticism.

• Mavric changed the title to Johnny Stanton