Coaching search at UGA

lo country

Epic fail by Georgia. They could have easily gotten someone who has been a HC before and had success (for example Mullen), but decided to gamble on a 1st time HC because he was an alum.

Kirby Smart has been all but a lock for Georgia's next coach for years now. South Carolina was interested in him for their opening, and UGA wasn't about to let that happen. It's interesting that you mention Mullen. He was "only" a highly successful, well thought of SEC coordinator prior to taking his current position. MSU failed so hard with that hire, right?

UGA and Miss St are not on the same level. UGA is a top 10 job. Not sure the Miss St job cracks the top 25.

Epic fail by Georgia. They could have easily gotten someone who has been a HC before and had success (for example Mullen), but decided to gamble on a 1st time HC because he was an alum.

Kirby Smart has been all but a lock for Georgia's next coach for years now. South Carolina was interested in him for their opening, and UGA wasn't about to let that happen. It's interesting that you mention Mullen. He was "only" a highly successful, well thought of SEC coordinator prior to taking his current position. MSU failed so hard with that hire, right?

UGA and Miss St are not on the same level. UGA is a top 10 job. Not sure the Miss St job cracks the top 25.

No, they're not on the same level - MSU was a rebuilding project after the dumpster fire and a half that Sylvester Croom left in Starkville, but in reality, Georgia is not a top 10 job at all. Georgia has not made the commitment to playing championship caliber football that other schools in the SEC have, and is at a serious disadvantage. Coaches expect to see strong commitment to facilities, coaching staff salaries and support staff at "top 10" jobs, and those are all lagging behind at Georgia. Yes, the school could have gone and gotten an established head coach, but like I said, Smart has been penciled in for this job for years now. It's an open secret down here in SEC country, and many people believe its why Smart has not taken other HC opportunities in recent years.

No, they're not on the same level - MSU was a rebuilding project after the dumpster fire and a half that Sylvester Croom left in Starkville, but in reality, Georgia is not a top 10 job at all. Georgia has not made the commitment to playing championship caliber football that other schools in the SEC have, and is at a serious disadvantage. Coaches expect to see strong commitment to facilities, coaching staff salaries and support staff at "top 10" jobs, and those are all lagging behind at Georgia. Yes, the school could have gone and gotten an established head coach, but like I said, Smart has been penciled in for this job for years now. It's an open secret down here in SEC country, and many people believe its why Smart has not taken other HC opportunities in recent years.

Many CFB media/experts disagree with you about it being a top 10 job.

And because Smart was penciled in for the job a long time doesn't make it a good hire.

Epic fail by Georgia. They could have easily gotten someone who has been a HC before and had success (for example Mullen - those are just the ones in easy driving distance to ), but decided to gamble on a 1st time HC because he was an alum.

Many CFB media/experts disagree with you about it being a top 10 job.

And because Smart was penciled in for the job a long time doesn't make it a good hire.

If disagreement with the "experts" suddenly isn't allowed, then this place will soon be a ghost town :D

Just because Kirby Smart is s a coordinator doesn't make it a bad hire, let alone an "epic fail" (see Dabo Swinney, Dan Mullen, Jimbo Fisher - or even Richt himself). I think the notion that a P5 opening can only be filled by a proven HC with experience is bunk. Sure, lots of first time HCs wash out, but so do loads of experienced, proven coaches in new jobs. Being able to list HC on your resume is no guarantee of success. Good coaches succeed, period. Kirby is Georgia's man, has been for a while. He may fail, but I really think he'll do well there.

I don't think it's the entire group all of a sudden switching narratives. The opinions are still split. I was all for the coordinator hiring and I still am. Like it or not. These people who think NU needs a guy with experience don't grasp coaching.

If we go back to the firing of Bo, and we have 2 candidates. Bob Davie and Scott Frost...who are you gunna choose?

Life is about taking chances. When you play it safe, generally you will have a pretty BLAND life.

Great comment.

Screw that bs. Thanks Lo.

These post's never get seen in the "other sports" you get way more discussion in when it's in the main forum. Besides I was thinking the other day when Moiraine got pissy about the Herman topic...

Are you reading the other 30 topics that are listed on the front page of the husker forum, regularly posting in them? No, so who freaking cares. Move it after a while but damn, If I had posted that Herman article in the "other sports" forum, it doesn't get near the attention it's been getting. We got nothing else talk about anyway.

While I'm at it. That's another great comment.

Not Husker related, but interesting none the less as it relates to big time programs and their coaching search. This writer says that going after Kirby Smart is a poor move for UGA and that they can and should do much better if they want to get their edge back. Says it's an unambitious hire. WTH. Kirby is unambitious how would Riley rank?

I'd love Kirby at NU. I can't imagine this being a low hire. Goes onto to say this at the end. Makes me think of NU's hire and that SE wasn't really concerned about winning.

But if thats the way it ends up a quick and easy hire that carries tremendous risk well know Georgia sees itself less as a competitor to Alabama and more of a wannabe. And well have to wonder whether it was really Richt who lost control.

Rest of article here:

https://www.seccountry.com/georgia/national-columnist-thinks-georgia-lacks-ambition-if-it-hires-kirby-smart

There's another forum for these type of posts -> http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/forum/159-other-sports/

These post's never get seen in the "other sports" you get way more discussion in when it's in the main forum. Besides I was thinking the other day when Moiraine got pissy about the Herman topic...

Are you reading the other 30 topics that are listed on the front page of the husker forum, regularly posting in them? No, so who freaking cares. Move it after a while but damn, If I had posted that Herman article in the "other sports" forum, it doesn't get near the attention it's been getting. We got nothing else talk about anyway.

We get a .500 coach towards the end of a career and people still try tp spin it as a good hire........

It beats trying to spin it as a bad hire. We really don't know yet so the choices are to give the guy a chance or stew about it a few years. If you're going to choose the latter, I'd hope you could try to minimize the attacks on those wearing the N, be they players or coaches or fans... Most of the naysayers have had their minds made up before half a season went by...and some of them were probably on the team!

• Fire 1

Not Husker related, but interesting none the less as it relates to big time programs and their coaching search. This writer says that going after Kirby Smart is a poor move for UGA and that they can and should do much better if they want to get their edge back. Says it's an unambitious hire. WTH. Kirby is unambitious how would Riley rank?

I'd love Kirby at NU. I can't imagine this being a low hire. Goes onto to say this at the end. Makes me think of NU's hire and that SE wasn't really concerned about winning.

But if thats the way it ends up a quick and easy hire that carries tremendous risk well know Georgia sees itself less as a competitor to Alabama and more of a wannabe. And well have to wonder whether it was really Richt who lost control.

Rest of article here:

https://www.seccountry.com/georgia/national-columnist-thinks-georgia-lacks-ambition-if-it-hires-kirby-smart

There's another forum for these type of posts -> http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/forum/159-other-sports/

We get a .500 coach towards the end of a career and people still try tp spin it as a good hire........

It beats trying to spin it as a bad hire. We really don't know yet so the choices are to give the guy a chance or stew about it a few years. If you're going to choose the latter, I'd hope you could try to minimize the attacks on those wearing the N, be they players or coaches or fans... Most of the naysayers have had their minds made up before half a season went by...and some of them were probably on the team!

Yeah...Plus 1

Rest of article here:

Yeah...Plus 1

Why does it have to be spun either way? Just take the season for what it was and look forward to the next. If we are still in the same position then as this year, break out the pitchforks.

Rest of article here:

Yeah...Plus 1

Why does it have to be spun either way? Just take the season for what it was and look forward to the next. If we are still in the same position then as this year, break out the pitchforks.

That is interesting. Why after next season? Why not the first or the third?