Tommy Armstrong's Instagram

Dansker

Nebraska fans are so thin skinned... it's almost incredible.

I think the "us vs. the world" idea has been blown completely out of proportion the last few years. People looking to find fault take it and try to say it means WAY more than it actually does.

It's simply supposed to be a quick way to convey the idea that the only people who really have your back are your teammates and coaches. It doesn't mean that EVERYONE else is against you, just that you can't necessarily count on them to always be supportive and thus shouldn't necessarily take what they are complaining about too seriously.

Unless you're winning every game by three touchdowns (and maybe not even then), there are going to be people complaining. It's just part of the deal. "Us vs. the world" is just a way to remind you not to get distracted by the negativity.

Case in point, this is one of Benning's responses to someone asking about TA's post:

Now, are people going to make the argument that the Huskers of the mid-90s had an unhealthy attitude flowing through the program that needed to be cleansed?

But the glaring difference is Bo Pelini was the driving force of "Us Against The World" his 2 leaked audio tapes give testimony to that. You don't think that that kind of mentality has a psychological impact on a young adult playing football at a major program like Nebraska? I dislike how Benning has to chime in with his whole, "We did this in the 90's..." They didn't have to deal with social media back then or BBS a lot of things didn't exist back then so it's unfair to compare today to the glory days. I really believe Bo psychologically screwed with his players' emotions/heads and its a virus that has to be absolved.

Someone call Jack Stark :lol:

The only fans who felt insulted by the first leaked tape were the ones to whom the shoe fit.

The second tape had nothing to do with fans.

WRONG

• Fire 2

Wow. Our QB posts something that is supposed to be encouraging and give us hope for next year and we somehow manage to over analyze his word choice and turn it into nothing but negativity. Geez, I can't imagine why he feels like its "us against the world".

this post right here says it all. now go put your tin foil hats back in the closet and move on. same sh#t as with the sexual assault ordeal. NONE OF YOU KNEW sh#t ABOUT IT.

More self pity.

Sad

Do these people ever look up in the stands? Did they not hear the roar of the husker nation during the Michigan State game? Do they think they're in the stadium on game day alone?

Adults need to step in and save these people from themselves, but there don't appear to be any.

Honestly, I thought your post was referring to those whining about "us against the world."

Some Husker fans are incredibly thin skinned... apparently needing to be coddled by the very players they try desperately to live vicariously through.

That is what is truly sad.

As far as the stands during a big win, how about the times the stadium has emptied early? Or boos have rained down. And before we feel to special, Michigan, Texas, Florida and other programs that suffered through awful seasons kept their stadiums packed, too.

Gonna go ahead and call bullsh#t on that one. Living in Texas, the bandwagon comes to a screeching halt pretty freaking quick when the horns start sucking. When your AD has to implement a no resale rule on tickets to keep alumni from dumping tickets it gets bad. By no resale, I mean the athletic department would monitor sites such as stubhub to see if tickets that were those of season ticket holders were being sold. If so, they would flag these tickets and when the second hand buyer tried to enter the stadium the scanner would note that it was a second hand ticket and not allow them in.

More self pity.

Sad

Do these people ever look up in the stands? Did they not hear the roar of the husker nation during the Michigan State game? Do they think they're in the stadium on game day alone?

Adults need to step in and save these people from themselves, but there don't appear to be any.

Honestly, I thought your post was referring to those whining about "us against the world."

Some Husker fans are incredibly thin skinned... apparently needing to be coddled by the very players they try desperately to live vicariously through.

As far as the stands during a big win, how about the times the stadium has emptied early? Or boos have rained down. And before we feel to special, Michigan, Texas, Florida and other programs that suffered through awful seasons kept their stadiums packed, too.

Michigan stadium was half empty most of last year

The year that they were 3rd in the country in attendance and averaged 103k per game?

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_football_season_atten.html

Because they were winning...

More self pity.

Sad

The year that they were 3rd in the country in attendance and averaged 103k per game?

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_football_season_atten.html

They did not sell out and many that bought tickets, did not attend. There were big areas of empty seats last year.

Just as Tommy seems to try to do too much on the field, he is also trying too hard off the field. Riley gave him a completely fair shot to lead NU in 2015 and he failed, and I do not trust him to lead this team in 2016. If he has not been able to show signs of improvement in 3 years of starting, I don't see a miraculous turnaround in year 4.

Well, Riley pretty much showed what kind of coach he was with his 15 years of college head coaching experience. I'm not expecting a miraculous turnaround in year 16.

Yep, 16 picks and the horrendous decision making this year, make me read this statement by Tommy as just a bunch of hot air. Once in a while, it's ok to not have to say everything and quietly go about your business of getting better. There will be thousands of college football players this year who show up to workouts, sweat their a$$es off with their brothers and say nothing about it. They will go out and show it on the field.

• Fire 2

Maybe these guys wouldn't feel "us againstthe wold" if they weren't consistently roasted on boards and social media.

And let me tell you a fact: this "attitude" is prevalent everywhere that things aren't perfect (and that means everywhere).

College players don't play for fans. Not really. They may say the right things in front of the press, but you play for each other. And maybe your coaches and your families. And for the tradition of the brothers that went before you.

Glad to hear he's coming back. We'll need him, and I hope that he doesn't have a change of heart this spring.

Yep. For the most part. Coaches encourage the chip on the shoulder. The whole "no one outside this locker room understands or cares or believes in you" thing.

Even Bill Belichek likes the New England Patriots to believe they're being disrespected.

I'm not sure you want to turn it against your own fanbase, though. The players sure love being cheered by thousands when they do well, and being looked at like Gods when signing autographs for kids. And their parents.

I do think I detect a bit of discomfort from Tommy Armstrong in this Instagram post, as if he's rounding up allies for the internal battle to come.

I don't want to chase Tommy Armstrong away at all, but I think he should be uncomfortable right now. It might be good for him.

• Fire 1

More self pity.

Sad

Because they were winning...

Read the date on the article.

More self pity.

Sad

Gonna go ahead and call bullsh#t on that one. Living in Texas, the bandwagon comes to a screeching halt pretty freaking quick when the horns start sucking. When your AD has to implement a no resale rule on tickets to keep alumni from dumping tickets it gets bad. By no resale, I mean the athletic department would monitor sites such as stubhub to see if tickets that were those of season ticket holders were being sold. If so, they would flag these tickets and when the second hand buyer tried to enter the stadium the scanner would note that it was a second hand ticket and not allow them in.

You do realize that every team has secondary market sales, including the Huskers. Go back and look at '07 and tell me what the stands looked like.

NU fans are just as fickle and no more special than most other fan basis.