Joe Dailey at NC

The only play that really pissed me off about JD was the last offensive play against Southern Miss where it was fourth down and he ran out of bounds trying to avoid getting hit. I knew that he was not a quarterback that could do well with the west coast offense but that play was a play any quarterback should of tried to get into the endzone with.

The only play that really pissed me off about JD was the last offensive play against Southern Miss where it was fourth down and he ran out of bounds trying to avoid getting hit. I knew that he was not a quarterback that could do well with the west coast offense but that play was a play any quarterback should of tried to get into the endzone with.

Especially since he was recruited to run the option WTF? Taylor would have put his head down.

Well, about that play - guys, for all we know, Joe may have been instructed to not take hits. Remember, we didn't have a quality backup - he was it.

Personally, I feel for the guy. Perhaps quarterback - in any offense - is not is forte. Regardless, he did what he could for the Huskers. He stood little or no chance of ever seeing any significant playing time, and he decided to transfer. Good luck to him; he's earned a share of respect and gratitude, as far as I'm concerned.

Couple things here ...

1.) Dailey ran the WCO in HS, so he was adept at running it. He is also running a version of it at UNC under Fresno State's OC who left for UNC.

2.) If it were true what was said about Dailey, I will not root for him. I remember reading alot of people at the university saying Dailey told teammates he would transfer if he were not starting. IIRC, that had alot to do with his being 4th string.

3.) AR, you cannot really believe that. Even if Dailey were instructed to shy away from contact when needed, their is no coach on the face of this planet that would tell you to run OOB on 4th down inside the 10 with the game on the line. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE would ANY coach tell you do that, I don't care if it was a feeble minded coach.

***SNIP***

3.) AR, you cannot really believe that. Even if Dailey were instructed to shy away from contact when needed, their is no coach on the face of this planet that would tell you to run OOB on 4th down inside the 10 with the game on the line. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE would ANY coach tell you do that, I don't care if it was a feeble minded coach.

It's a case of conflicting instructions, possibly. On the one hand, they're telling him to avoid unnecessary hits. On the other, they're trying to teach him what constitutes "unnecessary". The ultimate fault rests with Joe for not recognizing the difference. All I was saying is that if (and I don't know) the coaches were continually harping on not taking unnecessary hits (and it seems likely given the quarterback situation at the time), he may have done it for that reason.

If so, it shows a sign of lack of awarness on Joe's part, without question. But he wouldn't be the first athlete to which that happened. Remember when Webber called for a non-existant time out for Michagin - basketball players are taught to call time out under those circumstances - the issue being that they need to recognize when those conditions are present, and not changed by other conditions.

AR, you cannot really be serious, can you?

With the game on the line, you really think Dailey thought it was okay to run OOB to sacrifice a possible score and a win for his team, for the sake of keeping himself healthy? What good is he to the team if he doesn't show a will to win in fighting for every last yard -- ESPECIALLY on 4th down, inside the 10 with the game on the line.

Comparing the Webber thing isn't exactly right. Webber lost concentration with the walk before the timeout call. Dailey running OOB is just a lack of will and determination, just like most of his career. Sure he could say the right things in the paper, but on the field you never saw that fire.

But honestly, I'm just going to pretend you don't really mean or even think some of the things you're saying. Because for any football fan to HONESTLY believe that bumfuzzles me beyond words. I'm not even joking either.

Wow, your just plain wrong BigWillie. You think that Dailey steped out of bounds what, because he didnt want to win? Thats just plain stupid, as was Dailey's decision to step out. I think that being shuffled down to fourth string and staring at the prospect at never playing another snap is a pretty good reason to transfer. I don't hold a grudge. He came here with the expectation that he was gonna play, his coach got fired, he got put into a system that he doesnt have the talent to run, had to learn an immensly difficult playbook (and hell no dont try and tell me that he ran the same offense in high school, go find me a playbook as thick as Callahan's in highschool) He had slim to none possibilities of success.... That doesnt seem like a great situation for him to be in, now does it?

***SNIP***

Comparing the Webber thing isn't exactly right. Webber lost concentration with the walk before the timeout call. Dailey running OOB is just a lack of will and determination, just like most of his career. Sure he could say the right things in the paper, but on the field you never saw that fire.

***SNIP***

And your proof that Dailey's action wasn't a lack of concentration is...what?

In moments of stress, athletes make the wrong decision all the time. Remember the interception at the end of the Tech game, and the failure to simply fall to the ground? The statement "...you really think Dailey thought it was okay to run OOB to sacrifice a possible score and a win for his team, for the sake of keeping himself healthy?" is the crux of the matter - he didn't have time to ponder the course of action - he reacted to the situtation. He made the wrong choice, which could be attribituable to a number of factors - one of which can be a loss of concentration.