SecDef opens all combat jobs to women

I like all this gender equality stuff. You know, why limit all the horrors of combat to men when you can include women too? Women deserve an equal opportunity to have their limbs blown off and suffer PTSD just as much as men do--in the patriotic fight to protect the rights and interests of Exxon/Mobile, Bechtel, and Halliburton(etc) around the globe. I don't see any reason why women should have to feel left out in this regard. Additionally, there's no reason the VA services should be overburdened and underfunded for men when they can include legions of women to the mix. Don't worry, the US taxpayer got it covered, more or less.

Why would society want to retain a nurturing aspect to a segment of the population when you can transform the entire population into warriors?

Equal rights for all.

Does this come with mandatory enrollment for selective service?

Hopefully that will never come again but it should probably be equal too on the condition that 2 married people can't both be selected. Obviously pregnant/nursing women couldn't go but that'd be the same as men who don't pass the health requirement.

I think if I was in a crucial combat situation I might have second thoughts going on a mission with 2 or 3 women in my unit. They could probably shoot as straight but how is a 140 pound woman going to carry a 220 pound man to safety or hold up in hand to hand combat?

I can't claim I know how it works but I'd think that for the roles they just made open to women, everyone would have to pass the same tests. That's how it should work, anyway. I know for boot camp the requirements for women aren't as strict, but those are for anyone who joins the military.

I like all this gender equality stuff. You know, why limit all the horrors of combat to men when you can include women too? Women deserve an equal opportunity to have their limbs blown off and suffer PTSD just as much as men do--in the patriotic fight to protect the rights and interests of Exxon/Mobile, Bechtel, and Halliburton(etc) around the globe. I don't see any reason why women should have to feel left out in this regard. Additionally, there's no reason the VA services should be overburdened and underfunded for men when they can include legions of women to the mix. Don't worry, the US taxpayer got it covered, more or less.

Why would society want to retain a nurturing aspect to a segment of the population when you can transform the entire population into warriors?

Equal rights for all.

Sarcasm?

Hopefully that will never come again but it should probably be equal too on the condition that 2 married people can't both be selected. Obviously pregnant/nursing women couldn't go but that'd be the same as men who don't pass the health requirement.

I think if I was in a crucial combat situation I might have second thoughts going on a mission with 2 or 3 women in my unit. They could probably shoot as straight but how is a 140 pound woman going to carry a 220 pound man to safety or hold up in hand to hand combat?

I can't claim I know how it works but I'd think that for the roles they just made open to women, everyone would have to pass the same tests. That's how it should work, anyway. I know for boot camp the requirements for women aren't as strict, but those are for anyone who joins the military.

Men are required by Federal law to register for Selective Service at the age of 18. Why aren't the women?

Why are the standards for women in basic training lower than the men?

Men are required by Federal law to register for Selective Service at the age of 18. Why aren't the women?

Why are the standards for women in basic training lower than the men?

Once again I have to wonder if you even read my posts. You're quoting me when I just said "Hopefully that will never come again but it should probably be equal too" so I'm not sure why you're quoting my post and think I actually have an argument against women registering. What I'm saying is they should probably have to register too.

You've done this for at least 90% of my posts you've replied to.

I believe the disconnect in your posts are that he is talking about registering for the selective service and you are talking about a draft. Two different things.

Can you explain it to me? I looked it up again and I don't understand the difference. Everything I read about Selective Service talks about it being for the draft. The article on wikipedia has mentions of the draft left and right, indicating the purpose of selective service is to get a list of people who can be drafted. I don't see how they're different. Unless you're just saying signing up doesn't automatically mean you're drafted, which of course I'm aware of since we haven't done that in a decades.

Regardless, I'm saying women should be doing the same thing. Obviously if I think women should be drafted equally, I think they should also sign up for Selective Service. And it doesn't explain why he does this to all of my posts on every topic.

• Fire 1

I'm too lazy to read how everyone feels about this. But I will say this. My business partner has been deployed 4 times to Afghanistan and The Iraq and on multiple times has been in battles with women in his unit. Some of them, his claims, were his best snipers.

I don't see this as something for people to get upset about.

Moiraine, you are correct. The Selective Service registration is used to create a database for a potential draft. And currently only men are required to register.

A man that fails to register can be denied certain benefits like subsidized school loans, certain jobs, etc. I'm assuming that that may be what BRB and Husker15 are referring to. However, the President or military can't change that to include women. The Selective Service Act would have to be amended by Congress.

So, instead of venting on Huskerboard, Husker15 should be venting to his Congressman.

Why must men register: https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Register

Women and the draft: https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Women-And-Draft

I was a Marine infantryman. If women want to be a grunt then more power to them. However, the standards had better not be lowered one bit. The men's PFT standard ought to be the standard across the board now if they want this to go over well. If a woman can hack it, then she can hack it. Infantry units are full of drunk, crass, idiots (as the should be) but they're also the best fit for the type of job they're in. I hope they have thick skin and don't go running to 1st Sergeant everyday. Grunt life sucks and they'll realize that soon enough.

I believe the disconnect in your posts are that he is talking about registering for the selective service and you are talking about a draft. Two different things.

Can you explain it to me? I looked it up again and I don't understand the difference. Everything I read about Selective Service talks about it being for the draft. The article on wikipedia has mentions of the draft left and right, indicating the purpose of selective service is to get a list of people who can be drafted. I don't see how they're different. Unless you're just saying signing up doesn't automatically mean you're drafted, which of course I'm aware of since we haven't done that in a decades.

Regardless, I'm saying women should be doing the same thing. Obviously if I think women should be drafted equally, I think they should also sign up for Selective Service. And it doesn't explain why he does this to all of my posts on every topic.

The registration for Selective Service is so that the government is prepared in the case of a draft. It isn't a draft itself. Today, if you are a boy turning 18, you are required to register. That has been happening for a very very long time. It's not something that happened once and we hope it doesn't happen again.

Now, the draft IS what we hope never happens again. That is when they use the database created by the registration to perform a draft.

The only time I ever see a draft happening again is if the country is actually under attack from another country actually invading us.

The registration for Selective Service is so that the government is prepared in the case of a draft. It isn't a draft itself. Today, if you are a boy turning 18, you are required to register. That has been happening for a very very long time. It's not something that happened once and we hope it doesn't happen again.

Now, the draft IS what we hope never happens again. That is when they use the database created by the registration to perform a draft.

The only time I ever see a draft happening again is if the country is actually under attack from another country actually invading us.

So it's exactly what I was talking about in my post, I just worded it badly. I was talking about having to sign up. This has nothing to do with why huskers15 had a dumb reply, even if he decides that's his excuse.