Until NU gets this fixed, we aren't going anywhere fast

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

Is that really any worse than a run getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short?

It's not all on the QB. Even Ameer and Rex had troubles with fumbling in their career. And some of them have been on the recievers too. I remember Marlowe muffing punts and Kenny tipping balls that were picked.

It's a thing that the entire team has had trouble with, and it's mostly a mental problem.

Tommy Armstrong is among the national leaders in interceptions. Unfortunately, he plays on the offensive side of the football in a Mike Riley offense.

Of course it's not all on the quarterback, but it's the position that touches the football virtually every offensive snap.

And this foolish Callahan V.2 offense is going to be turnover prone.....it puts the ball in the air too much.

Osborne's offense put the ball on the ground a lot also. That's something most people forget.
Any offense can be turnover prone. It's a part of football not specific to one team or one type of offense.

It's not all on the QB. Even Ameer and Rex had troubles with fumbling in their career. And some of them have been on the recievers too. I remember Marlowe muffing punts and Kenny tipping balls that were picked.

It's a thing that the entire team has had trouble with, and it's mostly a mental problem.

Tommy Armstrong is among the national leaders in interceptions. Unfortunately, he plays on the offensive side of the football in a Mike Riley offense.

Of course it's not all on the quarterback, but it's the position that touches the football virtually every offensive snap.

And this foolish Callahan V.2 offense is going to be turnover prone.....it puts the ball in the air too much.

Osborne's offense put the ball on the ground a lot also. That's something most people forget.
Any offense can be turnover prone. It's a part of football not specific to one team or one type of offense.

That's kinda what I was getting at when I replied to TheSker.

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

Is that really any worse than a run getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short?

Yes

Get serious, an offense like Oregon and Baylor are turnover prone, Riley's offense is not in that category. With a competent Qb, it would be one of the least prone to turnovers.

Specifically, what in their style of play makes those teams any more turnover prone then any other offense to include Riley's?

Yes

BS.

Yes

BS.

There are screams coming from virtually every direction.....fans and media......for Riley's offense to establish the running game, especially on short distance 3rd downs.

Yes

BS.

There are screams coming from virtually every direction.....fans and media......for Riley's offense to establish the running game, especially on short distance 3rd downs.

Why would you want to do the smart thing and run on 3rd or 4th and 1 when you can hurl a 30-40 yd fade route down the field instead?

Yes

BS.

And guess what? Riley couldn't care less what YOU want. He IS going to run HIS offense whether you, me, or anyone else likes it or not. Period. Time to put on our big boy pants and accept this.

Interceptions happen. Fumbles happen. But, statistics will indicate the number of each per snap, etc to give a reasonable indication of tendencies. It would be interesting when considering Riley's offensive system is to look at his Oregon State and historical stats as he has a long track record running this basic offense (as far as I know he has used the basic offense we are watching now). Of course all offenses are tweeked and the runs v pass numbers go up and down annually depending on talent, opponents, etc. Overall, though if you compare Riley's offense numbers by number of interceptions per pass attempt and number of fumbles per running attempt, etc you can certainly find out whether a given offense is more or less prone to turnovers.

Osborne's offenses had some turnovers but the options game we used in Osborne's last 5 or 6 years was probably lower in fumbles and interceptions than average across all teams and the defense was probably slightly above average in takeaways. I am not going to take the time to research it all as some of you guys on here seem to have the research skills I don't. The most talented teams tend to take the ball away more and give it away less I would say.

The most vaunted Oklahoma wishbone teams Switzer fielded were very high in fumbles but were also some of the most prolific scoring and hard / impossible to stop. Switzer's teams could fumble 7 times and rush for 600 yards a game and score 65. The wishbone run at its highest level is a high risk high reward offense.

• Fire 1

Looking at the stats through 12 games, NU us towards the bottom in TO margin. Navy is 2nd with a +14 margin (San Diego St at #1 +20). MSU is at +13. I bring up Navy and MSU as polar opposites on offense. I think the key is a D that gets TO's and an O that knows how to hold onto the ball.

We led the nation in fumbles 3 years with Martinez at the helm and near the bottom with INT's by TA, throw in an anemic D and its a recipe for disaster.

I'm really surprised that our D under Bo was always in the - column save 2009 IIRC. Especially after his success in 2003.

Bottom line, a concentrated effort in the area would pay dividends immediately regardless of talent, scheme, coach etc.... I never realized how bad we were in this area..

I looked at NU last year (13 INT's) vs Maryland (9 INT's) and Stewart seemed to get the Terps to get more fumbles, but less in the INT department. I bring him up as he was their DC and DB coach... They were basically neutral for TO margin his time there.

OSU appears to be almost neutral as well.

It would appear that as far as the D goes, Banker and Stewart do not bring a D known for creating TO's...

NU under Riley appears to be a TO machine compared to his teams at OSU....

Pretty good resource:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/team/528/turnovermargin/split.html

• Fire 2

I'll somewhat give you this. However, how many years did a TO coached team have a negative margin for the year? I mean we've been negative every year but once since 03'. This is pathetic at best.

Yes

BS.

And guess what? Riley couldn't care less what YOU want. He IS going to run HIS offense whether you, me, or anyone else likes it or not. Period. Time to put on our big boy pants and accept this.

5 and 7 agrees.

But apparently we're going to back into a bowl game......

• Fire 1