It makes me feel better

The one true constant of this board is seeing the doom and gloomers showing up to piss on everyone's Wheaties in every thread. How sad to see supposedly grown men measure their self worth over a game played by 18-22 year olds. Virtually everyone on this board wants the Huskers to win. Only a few obsess to the point of being fanatic and see it as their sole job in life to loudly shout down any poster who is a glass half full fan. You 4 or 5 should pick a weekend and meet in a motel and have a bitchfest to get it out of your systems. Spare us the boring tirade that has become this football board.

Will you pay for the room?

Motel 6? :-)

Ohhhh, classy! I am in!

I take encouragement, in seeing a new, much more mature head coach, who far better represents the university/state, getting his new players to compete in every game they played in, while adopting his entirely new system, while at the same time dealing with the adversity of unprecedented injuries and the lack of a quarterback who can excel in ANY system (9-wins was an anomaly to this point, all the 50/50 luck which enabled Tommy to pull out a few victories in the past, tilting the opposite direction this season, he's not a good quarterback)... oh, and in spite of the negative collective aura which some of the shittiest, most un-supportive fans in college football have brought on. If this program is ultimately brought to the very bottom, it's because it's fans have dragged it there, expecting some entitlement of national relevance of decades past, which otherwise must be earned, like every other school it competes with.

• Fire 1

I take encouragement, in seeing a new, much more mature head coach, who far better represents the university/state, getting his new players to compete in every game they played in, while adopting his entirely new system, while at the same time dealing with the adversity of unprecedented injuries and the lack of a quarterback who can excel in ANY system (9-wins was an anomaly to this point, all the 50/50 luck which enabled Tommy to pull out a few victories in the past, tilting the opposite direction this season, he's not a good quarterback)... oh, and in spite of the negative collective aura which some of the shittiest, most un-supportive fans in college football have brought on. If this program is ultimately brought to the very bottom, it's because it's fans have dragged it there, expecting some entitlement of national relevance of decades past, which otherwise must be earned, like every other school it competes with.

I don't think you'll find many arguing that Riley is more mature and a better representative for the university, but with that comes expectations to perform on the field too. It's completely acceptable for fans to criticize the team and coaches, and expect excellence on and off the field. If fans were not upset with a 5-7 season at Nebraska, we are at the very bottom already as apathy is the worst thing to happen to any program.

The one true constant of this board is seeing the doom and gloomers showing up to piss on everyone's Wheaties in every thread. How sad to see supposedly grown men measure their self worth over a game played by 18-22 year olds. Virtually everyone on this board wants the Huskers to win. Only a few obsess to the point of being fanatic and see it as their sole job in life to loudly shout down any poster who is a glass half full fan. You 4 or 5 should pick a weekend and meet in a motel and have a bitchfest to get it out of your systems. Spare us the boring tirade that has become this football board.

+1

• Fire 1

I don't think you'll find many arguing that Riley is more mature and a better representative for the university, but with that comes expectations to perform on the field too. It's completely acceptable for fans to criticize the team and coaches, and expect excellence on and off the field. If fans were not upset with a 5-7 season at Nebraska, we are at the very bottom already as apathy is the worst thing to happen to any program.

Almost everyone I know is a Husker fan and loves watching the games both on tv and in person. No one I know is happy with a 5-7 record. Few of those would accept a 5-7 record for the next 2 or 3 years. We aren't however foolish enough to jump ship halfway through the season and start calling for the coaching staff's firing, nor do we think we would have the power to try to force that firing. Riley is a man hired to do the job of fixing this football program. If you can't support him in the way he wants to do it then please don't be the dead weight that pulls the other direction.

• Fire 1

Almost everyone I know is a Husker fan and loves watching the games both on tv and in person. No one I know is happy with a 5-7 record. Few of those would accept a 5-7 record for the next 2 or 3 years. We aren't however foolish enough to jump ship halfway through the season and start calling for the coaching staff's firing, nor do we think we would have the power to try to force that firing. Riley is a man hired to do the job of fixing this football program. If you can't support him in the way he wants to do it then please don't be the dead weight that pulls the other direction.

Supporting your team and wanting the team and coaching staff to both succeed does not allow them to escape criticism, regardless of what you think or how you feel about the situation. As for firing the coaching staff now or mid-season, please point me to where I have stated that, as you are trying to argue to an extreme that I am now calling for. I am excited NU is able to play a good team in a bowl game this year, and think any experience we can get will help for next season. With that said, if you are suggesting this coaching staff does not deserve criticism, then feel free to continue to shine Riley's shoes. I'm guessing you were also one to defend Pelini til the end too, and lashed out at anyone that openly criticized him.

Overall, there has been much debate this season as to whether NU had enough talent to win 8 or 9 games or more, and when I look at NU beating one of the final 4 college playoff teams, the answer to the question is an emphatic yes, we did have enough talent to do far better than our record shows. For a coaching staff with as much tenure as Riley and company have, they made way too many rookie mistakes this season, and the consistently were not tailoring their game plans to align with the skills of our players. I agree with most of the posters on here that it felt like a season of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and if you are ok with that coaching approach, more power to you. I'm just hoping with several new players coming on board next season, that Riley and company are smart enough to start using some of their round pegs for the round holes, which might mean some upperclassmen have to watch from the sidelines.

+1

+1000

That in a season in which seemingly nothing could go right, eventually leading to what will widely be know as one of the worst Husker seasons in the modern era, Big Red could still accomplish what Iowa couldn't. .... beating the Big 10 champions. Here's to the future! Go Big Red.

I don't know about that...it actually makes me feel worse that we have the talent and ability to beat the Big Ten champions, yet somehow manage to lose 7 games. I'm definitely pulling for Sparty all the way, but I don't want our seasons to be defined by one major win against a highly ranked team followed by several losses.

Yep. True Riley...er loser mentality.

Finish sub .500 and beat the champs.

Hip, hip, hooray.

As old as these comments get. It's the truth. It's what Riley has done forever. Beat a giant, lose to puds.

Meh. They don't get old. Negativity and cynicism are the spice of life.

Riles has never been in a position that's as conducive to delivering championships as he has here, either. Last time he was was probably in Canada, and he did deliver one there. I for one still hold some hope.

Tell that to Dennis Ericson.

Will you pay for the room?

That's what she said.

:lol:

• Fire 1