Terrell Newby

Mavric

Terrible vision to me also includes knowing where the play is suppose to open up and not seeing that its not happening. and seeing the cut back lanes. Bouncing runs outside could be a patience issue or a confidence in your line issue. Any way you slice it, hes not good enough to be our main guy. A guy that gets 20 carries a game type back who plays 3 downs, short yardage, etc. He has his package of plays and it seems that package got smaller as the year went on. Now, do I think that our playcalling and oline play could help all the backs out, absolutely. And I don't think its exclusively a Terrell problem.

• Fire 1

Agree 100% that far too many run calls are for our smaller speedy back to jam it straight ahead. We should be using Newby on pitches and stretches where he is more capable of turning 2 yard gains into 10 yard gains.

He does not have good vision or decision making to be our #1 option.

Weird that he is our #1 then huh?

Iowa - 9 carries for 34 yards, 3.8 ypc

1-10 NEB 15 Newby, Terrell rush over left tackle for 2 yards to the NEB17

2-8 NEB 17 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 4 yards to the NEB21

2-8 NEB 22 Newby, Terrell rush over right tackle for 4 yards to the NEB26

1-10 NEB 09 Newby, Terrell rush over right end for 2 yards to the NEB11

1-10 NEB 25 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 1 yard to the NEB26

2-7 NEB 39 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 12 yards to the IOWA49, 1ST DOWN NEB

1-10 NEB 36 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 1 yard to the NEB37

1-10 Iowa 23 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 3 yards to the IOWA20

1-10 NEB 20 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 5 yards to the NEB25

No fourth quarter carries

------------------------------------------------

6 runs up the middle for 26 yards, 4.3 ypc

2 runs off tackle for 6 yards, 3.0 ypc

1 run outside for 2 yards, 2.0 ypc

I think he has terrible vision. Which in turn leads to indecisiveness. Just my opinion. I think the measurables are there. I think the talent is there. Vision is hard to quantify sometimes at the high school level when youre just that much better than everyone or are running behind a line that is just dominant. Look at some of Alabamas rbs. Great lines, just hit the hole and go. The special backs hit that hole then make the second and third levels miss.

I don't think he has terrible vision. I think - especially early in the year - he was always trying to bounce it outside. Improved quite a bit on that as the year went on.

His running in the Iowa game was awful. It was like he was seeking out the tackler.

I was at the game which isn't the best place to see plays develop and the replays suck. And I haven't rewatched it.

But six of his nine carries were up the middle against a pretty good run defense. That's not giving him a lot of chance to do anything.

Sucks that they don't have the location for road games.

Of the seven home games:

61 runs up the middle for 215 yards, 3.5 ypc

20 runs off tackle for 100 yards, 5.0 ypc
20 runs outside for 160 yards, 8.0 ypc
So over 60% of the time, we asked our speed back to run right up the middle. My perception of only letting him run to the outside about 20% of the time seems pretty accurate.
I'm not saying we should never run inside. I'm not even say we should never use Newby to run inside. But it doesn't seem like we're putting our players in a great position to succeed when we're using them like this.
And I don't think it's possible to really make a bunch of judgments about players when they're not being put in a position to use their strengths as often as they should be.
  • Fire 4

We had a great string of backs.....Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah. So, while some may say T Newby ain't that great........maybe it's the change in coaching that ain't that great......?

Yeah, that's gotta be it!

Or maybe it's after being spoiled for 3 straight great running backs that the next guy isn't quite as good and we are in the midst of a coaching change.

But no, it has to be Riley and his awful coaching. God your act is tired.

• Fire 2

t

Agree 100% that far too many run calls are for our smaller speedy back to jam it straight ahead. We should be using Newby on pitches and stretches where he is more capable of turning 2 yard gains into 10 yard gains.

That would be Cross, glad I could help you out.

A better judge for me is yards after contact. Most FBS backs can get yards hen a hole is opened up or say a toss sweep on the edge. A work horse, put the game on my shoulders back is the one who can meet contact at the LOS or open field and still get additional yardage. Rex is a prime example. I am unsure if I have ever seen a back do a better job of always getting that extra yard. To me, IMO, Newby is simply not that guy. If the game is on the line his number wouldn't be called. Based solely on his lack of YAC.

• Fire 2

t

That would be Cross, glad I could help you out.

Let me know how many games Cross starts for us next year.

We had a great string of backs.....Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah. So, while some may say T Newby ain't that great........maybe it's the change in coaching that ain't that great......?

Or maybe it's after being spoiled for 3 straight great running backs that the next guy isn't quite as good and we are in the midst of a coaching change.

Backs under RB or now? AA spoke highly of Newby. When Newby was coached by Brown...... If some of the new staff are additions, then one must also see the possibility that some are subtractions....

Backs under RB or now? AA spoke highly of Newby. When Newby was coached by Brown...... If some of the new staff are additions, then one must also see the possibility that some are subtractions....

That's not the reasoning behind his post. It's simply to piss all over thr staff again.

I think he has terrible vision. Which in turn leads to indecisiveness. Just my opinion. I think the measurables are there. I think the talent is there. Vision is hard to quantify sometimes at the high school level when youre just that much better than everyone or are running behind a line that is just dominant. Look at some of Alabamas rbs. Great lines, just hit the hole and go. The special backs hit that hole then make the second and third levels miss.

I don't think he has terrible vision. I think - especially early in the year - he was always trying to bounce it outside. Improved quite a bit on that as the year went on.

His running in the Iowa game was awful. It was like he was seeking out the tackler.

I was at the game which isn't the best place to see plays develop and the replays suck. And I haven't rewatched it.

But six of his nine carries were up the middle against a pretty good run defense. That's not giving him a lot of chance to do anything.

So Newby's six carries are at the 11:35, 12:05, 23:40, 56:50, 59:55, 1:01:50, 1:30:30, 1:34:20 and 1:41:35 marks of the following video. I guess you'll have to explain to me which runs he was "awful" on. I don't see any where he didn't get basically what he could have gotten on the given play.

That's not the reasoning behind his post. It's simply to piss all over thr staff again.

I don't think you need to be posting what my, or anyone else's reasoning is.

We had a string of success at the position, then SUDDENLY it's not there. IRONICALLY it was during a coaching change and our running game has received criticism all year long. Perhaps......and note the word PERHAPS......the coaching "might" have something to do with it.

Just gonna reiterate what most have said. Newby get's what his blocking gives him, and NOTHING more. He rarely, if ever, makes the first guy miss or breaks a tackle. He also has no burst (a trait sorely and sadly lacking by all the backs we seen this year). He's the definition of average, except as a pass catcher, where he is pretty savvy and has some nice hands.

• Fire 1