Jonathan Rose No Longer on the Team

If he failed a drug test and had used up is chances, he is gone! right now. If the coach has a rule, it has to be firm and clear to the rest of the team that the same will happen to them if they break said rule. Its all about deterrent.

The utility is "We're not going to let it ride for your benefit if you keep breaking the rules." That's a message to send to the rest of the team. It's not a soft message meant to try to keep the peace, but I think it is appropriately firm.

It's pretty bummy for a player to not be able to finish his Husker career on his own terms, or to get to partake in the bowl trip with all its swag, etc, along with his teammates.

But the guy apparently messed up twice already this season, and they're not going to just give it to him to be nice, considering the circumstances. I don't know if that's harsh or not, since we all have no idea what sort of teams rules violation this was. Maybe there wasn't much of a judgment call to this.

To be clear, I don't disagree with having rules and enforcing them, lest the coach be seen as soft and lose control of his team. But the thing that both of you seem to be taking for granted is that whatever Rose did was public knowledge. My point is simply that it may not have been known until Riley announced it, in which case it might have been better to just keep it under one's hat for a couple weeks and just let the problem solve itself when he graduates.

But reasonable minds may differ. I'd just never heard of a senior being dismissed from a team a couple of weeks before the season was over.

If he failed a drug test and had used up is chances, he is gone! right now. If the coach has a rule, it has to be firm and clear to the rest of the team that the same will happen to them if they break said rule. Its all about deterrent.

The utility is "We're not going to let it ride for your benefit if you keep breaking the rules." That's a message to send to the rest of the team. It's not a soft message meant to try to keep the peace, but I think it is appropriately firm.

It's pretty bummy for a player to not be able to finish his Husker career on his own terms, or to get to partake in the bowl trip with all its swag, etc, along with his teammates.

But the guy apparently messed up twice already this season, and they're not going to just give it to him to be nice, considering the circumstances. I don't know if that's harsh or not, since we all have no idea what sort of teams rules violation this was. Maybe there wasn't much of a judgment call to this.

To be clear, I don't disagree with having rules and enforcing them, lest the coach be seen as soft and lose control of his team. But the thing that both of you seem to be taking for granted is that whatever Rose did was public knowledge. My point is simply that it may not have been known until Riley announced it, in which case it might have been better to just keep it under one's hat for a couple weeks and just let the problem solve itself when he graduates.

But reasonable minds may differ. I'd just never heard of a senior being dismissed from a team a couple of weeks before the season was over.

Your point is all well and good but how do you suggest the coaching staff approaches it when the media constantly asks every practice why Rose wasn't practicing or making the team? Sure, you can just say, 'No comment' and try to move on but it just seems far easier to take the route Riley & Co did. I do agree with you on the timing being odd and I can't remember off the top of my head a senior being let go before a bowl game (that played for NU). But, players being held out of bowl games and sent back home for team violations is nothing new. I remember Texas suspended some players for a bowl game (I want to say it was against either Oregon or Oregon State) a few years ago. If I remember correctly, the incident surrounded some kind of sexual misconduct.

He was a senior, right? If so, dismissing him at this point seems a bit, "You can't quit! You're fired!"

Was that a joke? Sorry I didn't laugh LOL

Not a joke. Just seems weird to me to formally dismiss a player before their final game in a very inconsequential bowl game. At this point, you might as well just let it ride and not play him in the bowl game, but I don't see the utility of throwing a guy off the team roughly a week before the final game of his college career.

He was a senior, right? If so, dismissing him at this point seems a bit, "You can't quit! You're fired!"

Was that a joke? Sorry I didn't laugh LOL

:confucius:dunno:xcuse:facepalm:

I am also confused.

No Trip or Ipod from the bowl?

What kid doesn't want to go to a bowl. Must be something wrong with him. :dunno

Based on the rumors as to why JRose was dismissed, he liked to go to the bowl a little too often.

Going to the bowl, as you put it, shouldn't be any more or any less offensive than, going to the bottle.

Going to the bowl, as you put it, shouldn't be any more or any less offensive than, going to the bottle.

Rules are rules. If Rose wanted to (theoretically, mind you) smoke dope rather than go to a bowl game, he should have been a Colorado Buffalo.

Hmmmm....putting self ahead of the team. Sounds like he can sit at home with his bowl and watch the game.