The Bell’s Already Rung on Tommy Armstrong Versus Patrick O’Brien

eightlaces

"His legs have saved drives."

This is the ultimatest of understatements. Three, four, five times a game Tommy does that ridiculous spin move to escape pressure and extend plays.

That's three, four, five times a game that the QB is going to get sacked if he doesn't have Tommy's wheels. And Patrick O'Brien, whatever other skills he does or does not have, has nothing like Tommy's mobility. No Nebraska Quarterback since Eric Crouch has that mobility.

Say we start POB game one next year. I give him MAYBE midway through the season before he's knocked out of a game.

Tommy starts in 2016. Fight's over.

This is the ultimatest of understatements. Three, four, five times a game Tommy does that ridiculous spin move to escape pressure and extend plays.

That's three, four, five times a game that the QB is going to get sacked if he doesn't have Tommy's wheels. And Patrick O'Brien, whatever other skills he does or does not have, has nothing like Tommy's mobility. No Nebraska Quarterback since Eric Crouch has that mobility.

Say we start POB game one next year. I give him MAYBE midway through the season before he's knocked out of a game.

Hello 6-6.

• Fire 3

Hello 6-6.

Tommy's never won more than 6 games a year while at Nebraska. Fact.

• Fire 2

Tommy's mobility is his saving grace. The TD-INT ratio will kill him if POB shows up in shape to play. We want to pass and he can do that. If nothing else, POB should at least push Tommy to finally learn not to lock on to the first receiver despite coverage. If he can solve that conundrum he can save his job.

Hello 6-6.

Tommy's never won more than 6 games a year while at Nebraska. Fact.

Never lost more than six either. Fact. :lol:

I feel for as many game saving drives, he has equal the amount of boneheaded throws and mistakes.

It will definitely be an interesting spring and fall camp....IF POB beats out TA I wonder if TA finds a way onto the field. I do not feel as if POB will beat TA, but there could be some packages to get him on the field and have TA line up at WR or similar to Braxton Miller.

Has there been a QB coming into to Lincoln with the pressure/expectations in the last decade???

Having rotation at quarter back is a horrible idea, see how that worked out for tOSU last year?

Yeah, but don't you think it's a good idea to rotate the #2 in for a series or two when you can, to get some experience under his belt? I've always been in favor of this. I even think it would help the #1 to sit on the sidelines for a few plays, with his coach pointing stuff out to him to help him out when he goes back in.

• Fire 3

The main point really in this article is TA MUST IMPROVE. We know he has talent, we know he has wheels and an arm. But can someone really improve their reading and seeing the plays and decision making? I'm not saying he can't, but to me those are things that seem to be abilities that I don't know if you can coach. How many guys can throw a football, or run out there? But how many can see a defense, read it and also be able to check down? I would like to see TA improve and finish his senior year being a much improved decision maker, if only to give POB a chance to redshirt, sit under the system for a year, so he can come in the following year and be lights out for us.

Having rotation at quarter back is a horrible idea, see how that worked out for tOSU last year?

Yeah, but don't you think it's a good idea to rotate the #2 in for a series or two when you can, to get some experience under his belt? I've always been in favor of this. I even think it would help the #1 to sit on the sidelines for a few plays, with his coach pointing stuff out to him to help him out when he goes back in.

so, who's calling the plays while this is occurring?

The main point really in this article is TA MUST IMPROVE.

Agree. He has to improve his decision-making, footwork, and ability to read/react to defenses. He has to stop locking on to receivers and/or predetermining throws.

Personally, I'd like to see him run more. That's clearly his best weapon. A running Tommy Armstrong could be the key to making the passing game easier.